Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NS or NT diesel ? What would you go for ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS or NT diesel ? What would you go for ?

Currently deciding whether to switch to a diesel for towing my van around the country and can't decide if it is worth paying a little extra for the NT over the NS model.
    There are some great NS rigs about but I have heard of some issues with that model so I thought I'd ask those of you who own an NS diesel whether or not you'd go with that model again or not and whether the various problems were bad enough to put you off if you were in the market again.

The NT motor produces more power & torque, and seems to have addressed the issues with the NS motor.

If you're into DIY and/or aftermarket, a chip will address the power & torque deficit, and the intake / EGR issues can be worked around.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      The NT motor produces more power & torque, and seems to have addressed the issues with the NS motor.

If you're into DIY and/or aftermarket, a chip will address the power & torque deficit, and the intake / EGR issues can be worked around.
      I have a NS 25 anniversary model 135.00kms, never had a problem with it.
      If it was me I would be chasing a NT because of towing capacity, NS 2.5t, NT 3 ton
      Most vans including off road are around 2.5 tons which limits the NS
      The 3.2 DiD is a very good motor, only being refined for later models hence less issue's
      more power. I would be looking for later model NT if it was me.
      Hope this helps.
      Cheers Andrew

Comment

Thanks fellas, that was kinda the conclusion I reached but there are some real bargains in an NS at the moment which sorta muddies the water a bit-but as you say for towing the NT looks like the go.

Comment

Depends what you are towing really. The NT has the extra capacity. As was mentioned, a chip will fix the power issue and most NS have had the intake manifold replaced with NT one anyway. I would be looking at a 08 NS if you go that way.
          08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

If it were me I'd go the NT. For the reasons above plus if you get a late NT you'll get one without a DPF
            MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
            Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

I believe they improved the sound proofing in the NT as well. Certainly the NWs I've been in are much quieter than the NSs. I mentioned NWs because I haven't been in an NT when it' moving so can't compare but from what I've read they made those improvements in the NT onwards.
              2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

NT also had a different cylinder head and a larger transmission. And the later ones did away with the DPF.
                16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

If you have the extra $ to afford an NT then it's a no brainer.
                  I went through the same questions when I started looking and quickly ruled out the NS in favor of the NT.
                  in fact I considered NP Exceeds over NS glx etc etc
                  | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                  | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                  | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                  | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

Thanks again fellas, it does seem like the few extra bucks are worth it for the NT, just a question though, is there an exact build month when they stopped with the DPF on the NT? and anything else to watch for while looking at NT models? Cheers

Comment

Late 09 for the MY10 vehicles.
                      Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Originally posted by jjacer View Post
                        Thanks again fellas, it does seem like the few extra bucks are worth it for the NT, just a question though, is there an exact build month when they stopped with the DPF on the NT? and anything else to watch for while looking at NT models? Cheers
                        Ours is Nov 2009 and no DPF.

Cheers,
                        Sally
                        SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X