Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car going into storage for a while

Hi friends,

Not sure what the future will hold as I finally found a job but it takes me away for months at a time and we were thinking of putting the car in storage.

Any tips or info I should know?

Should I disconnect the main battery? If so, how (negative terminal right? or positive....)

Should I get a battery charger or something?

Just not sure how it all works... I've only ever had to put furniture in storage.

Thanks friends!
    Formerly: Beautiful 2007 NS Diesel Exceed

Congrats on the job!

I have an eh Holden that has been in storage. I bought a baby ctek charger for it to keep the battery good. I then try to start it and give it a run at least every few months.
    Give it a good clean and vacuum and I'm sure you will be fine.
    NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

Hi friend,

Thanks for your advice!

unfortunately the storage unit does not have electricity outlets...

Any other suggestions (like how to disconnect battery or something?)

Thanks!

Comment

NRMA have some good tips on the topic http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/ca...ay/storing.htm
        Last edited by Scouter1; 04-12-13, 09:41 AM. Reason: Corrected URL
        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

how about getting a mate or such to start up the engine every 2nd week so the battery etc etc are kept in form. you only need to start and let the engine idle for no longer than 5 minutes each fortnight.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I left my nl in storage for a bit over 2 months, all I did was give it fresh oil and a wash, vac a day or two before, and disconnected both positive and negative batt terminals. It wasn't hooked to any charger.

I believe when the parents picked it up for me it started fine.

if the storage unit has no power, can you get a small maintenance/trickle type solar panel somewhere that gets some sun to just help keep the charge level up?
            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

i've jsut pulled a delica out of storage after 4 years, only disconnected the battery and owner parked it under a tree ( literally) Unfortunately said tree fell on it but that is another story. Battery still had charge when we went to start it ( not enough to start the diesel but still had charge) took battery out put it on a charger and it came good. Put a known good battery in while other was charging, turned it over for about 30 seconds and away she went. Original battery is now back in it so i can move it all around the yard before i wreck it.

So if you are parking it in undercover storage for a couple of months i would just take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger somewhere whilst you leave it all parked in storage.
              Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
              Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Hi friends,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. Unfortunately we really don't have any place to charge a battery separately or anything on the side. We don't have many friends

We are literally moving out everything and leaving the country so can't get back to charge it every now and then either. We are putting it all in storage as this is pretty immediate and don't have time to sell any of our stuff so will just come back later and take care of it all.

So when I unplug the battery, what is the process with locking the car? Can I lock or unlock the car when the battery is unplugged (I doubt it)? Or do I need to use the key to unlock it (not remotely) - will that still work with battery unplugged? If not, then how can I lock the car and shut the hood with the battery unplugged?

Thanks friends!

Comment

you can still manually lock the car the old fashioned way once the battery is disconnected by using the buttons on each door. Then simply undo the battery terminals and leave the battery in the cradle till you get back. Odds are though that you will need to get a jumpstart if you leave it for more than 6 months or so. is it going into undercover storage or open air, if it is open air you can put a solar panel charger in connected to the battery which will keep it charged
                  Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                  Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

why can,t you do a test before you move on? just undo a battery terminal from the main battery under bonnet [ use an adjustable spanner for this ] then try the key in a door manually. if the doors unlock and or lock your a winner, just worry about the battery when you arrive back in aussies land.
                    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I'd just disconnect the battery, lock it manually.

As Dophin said don't worry about the actual battery , if it is stuffed when you return grab a new one.
                      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Hi friends,

Great advice thanks.

I am not even with the car right now so I can't test anything, and will only have a brief period of time to bring it into storage before I leave so I am just trying to think of everything ahead of time.

If the battery is going to be stuffed by the time I get back, then should I not even bother to unplug it in the first place? We have 2 batteries in there, one main starter and 1 aux that has an outlet (nothing will be plugged into it) and also the couplertec runs off the aux.

I'll give it a good drive before I leave but I am not certain how long either would last plugged in or otherwise for the next 6 months or so. Any chance?

Thanks friends!

Comment

just thinking, how about you leave your vehicle with me for the duration you,ll be away . this way i can look after both the batteries and keep all in tip top working condition. catch will be you drive it to the sunshine coast where i live and i will drop you off at the train station so you can get home ok. this may some bazzar to you but in the long run you will know your vehicle is in safe hands and ready to run when you get back.

Comment

don't forget things grow in diesel. I would have very little fuel in the tank.

Separately I believe that the hydraulics need to be regularly exercised. This involves a short drive to work the brakes etc.
                            2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                              don't forget things grow in diesel. I would have very little fuel in the tank.

Separately I believe that the hydraulics need to be regularly exercised. This involves a short drive to work the brakes etc.
                              sorry mate, but you are wrong re the fuel, it needs to be full not empty, the diesel bug you are talking about needs water to grow in, the most common source of water in a diesel tank is condensation from the air caused by humidity, the greater the air space in the tank the greater the amount of moisture laden air that can be cycled causing condensation which then forms water that settles in the bottom of your tank and the bug can start growing.Remember diesel does not go off like unleaded so leaving it in the tank is not an issue, only time it becomes a drama is if you live in a cold climate and store it with summer diesel it might gel up a little bit but shouldn't if it is stored undercover.

As for hydraulics correct you are better off exercising them but reality says that can be difficult, i have a couple of cars that get driven once maybe twice a year and have been that way for up to ten years ( one car has done less than 300km in that period, yet the brakes still work fine, all i do is replace the fluid every 2 to 3 years to keep water out as brake fluid absorbs water.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X