Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS purchase and timing chain

Hi NS owners,

So I am considering purchasing a high mileage NS (over 200000km). Been reading on here about a few timing chain breakages and their catastrophic results.

So what is the consensus so far? Is the guide wearing out the trigger that causes the chain to snap, or just wear and fatigue in the chain.

Should I forget about buying one with high kms, or if I do will I need to replace the chain, or just the guide.

I can't afford to buy the car then have the motor blow up!!

Cheers
    97 NL GLS 3.5v6 manual | dual fuel | Bridgestone Dueler 674 Mud | TJM winch bar

Previously 92 NH 3l auto

I bought my NP with 200k km, after reading this forum about DiD Diesels Power, Economy and Reliability I traded my Petrol/Gas NM on the one I now own, The only problem I've found is the Top Guide being needed to be Checked/Replaced. I checked mine and found a big crack so Replaced it with the Newer Type Guide, I expect to get another 200km out of mine As Long a I Change the Top Guide Every 50k km, And Service it every 10k km, NS have Other Issue as you should know.
    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

At 160000k my top guide looked like it just came out of the box and is still in place. Didn't change it.
      NS failures seem to be chain only related.
      Having said that there are not enough timing chain failures in the NS for it to be a purchase issue I reckon.

Remember you only here of failures not threads titled "My NS has done 400000km's trouble free". If you know what I mean.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
        At 160000k my top guide looked like it just came out of the box and is still in place. Didn't change it.
        NS failures seem to be chain only related.
        Having said that there are not enough timing chain failures in the NS for it to be a purchase issue I reckon.

Remember you only here of failures not threads titled "My NS has done 400000km's trouble free". If you know what I mean.
        Good post Goodsy.
        Ours is 1950000kms strong - all sorted DPF gone, catch can in etc.
        Our mechanic services plenty of other NS's.
        Has two 500,000+ NS manuals on his books.
        Another was over 675,000km before it started losing water somewhere (didnt bother fixing it, just sold it for about $8000).

ADDIT: we did our top guide on the timing chain at 190,000km as it was just an extra $30ish when we were getting the valve clearnces done)

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Yeah I know you mostly hear about the problems on forums, but the broken timing chain has come up a few times lately, enough to worry me. Still undecided on what to do, ultimately would love a low km one but can't afford the extra cash.

I want to use this car to pull a van around the eastern states, and be our general family car and 'mums taxi' so hope it would be reliable for us despite the high km.

The other option is to find a NP with lower km, but like the style and creature comforts of the NS.

I'll keep looking and thinking!!

Previously 92 NH 3l auto

Comment

What is a low k's NS?
            .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Under 100k?

Previously 92 NH 3l auto

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                What is a low k's NS?
                I'd rather buy a 200,000km Local one owner with a good history and books than a 66,000km ex rent a car from Qld. at half the price anyday!
                NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

I have changed my chain tensioner because the chain was noisy

When inspecting the old tensioner it was put back in with silastic and it had caused the oil journal to block and stopping it from working properly

The sealant used was the standard mm grey silastic
                  Only ever been serviced by MM
                  NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X