NON chip power options ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NON chip power options ???

Just wondering are there any practical options that I could try to get a little bit better performance and mileage than just fitting a chip.
    Or is a chip the best stand alone bang for bucks option?

So do/ spend nothing an get more go? Not possible. Sorry.

Remove the DPF. Major exhaust blockage. Also replace main muffler with something more free flowing. 5-10% more power. K&N filter. Power increase maybe???

Chips unlock the true power within.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

I'm not a fan of chips to be honest. Most of them just raise common rail pressure or increase injector duration, some adjust timing. These methods surely have to have a negative effect on the lifespan of your injection system components.
      If you want to make things breath a bit better to unleash a few ponies and gain a bit of efficiency, I would be looking at a replacement exhaust system from the turbo, all the way to the back.
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

NS Dan. Be careful with exhaust advice.
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
          NS Dan. Be careful with exhaust advice.
          Cheers Goodsy, I know about the DPF but was just giving my general thoughts
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Not just the DPF the cat also plays a major part in the NS exhaust system as many are finding out the hard way.
            2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

I'm a little hazy on the details - what does playing with the NS EGR and inlet manifold achieve?
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

No sure why the negative thoughts about chips.

I had some ex-Mitsubishi engineers work for me a couple of years ago, and when I quizzed them about the 'down' side of chips they explained to me the reasons for the factory configuration being sub-optimal.

In a nutshell, they need to make cars that comply with international emission regulations, even after the car is 5 years old. Only way to comply is to 'de-tune' the engine.
                Chipping it unlocks the true potential of the engine.

I have a chip and the power/torque benefit is real.
                2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
                2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate or lockup-mate now available for Pajero NS+, Triton MN,MQ, Challenger PB,PC, Prado 150

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  I'm a little hazy on the details - what does playing with the NS EGR and inlet manifold achieve?
                  NS manifold if not upgarded to an NT manifold becomes clogged with soot over time.
                  A power upgrade if clogged with crap but not a performance upgrade.
                  Blocking the EGR is to reduce clogging with the oil and soot mix.

NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

If we're talking Diesel engines, LPG fumigation is another option for achieving more power and torque(15-25%), increases the range, improves drive ability, reduces the diesel rattle and reduces the emissions coming out the exhaust.
                    2013 NW VRX

Comment

Ecu remap.
                      Water/methenol injection.
                      Petrol injection.
                      After market top mount fan cooled intercooler.
                      All very expensive for not huge gains.
                      If you dont want to go the chip then an ecu remap with some exhuast mods will give u best results.

Comment

Interestingly, I was talking to Taipan XP, the performance exhaust manufacturer, prior to fitting a system to my NW. They mentioned that they had so much difficulty developing an exhaust system for the NS that they no longer manufacture a system for this model.
                        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

After all those answers I would just buy a chip

You don't have to crank it to the max increase it a little and get some more

It's the quickest cheapest and easiest way to get more power

Comment

Unless you have plenty of cash and time and another 4x4 to drive while trying to Squeeze out a few more Ponys I think it Just Not Worth the Head Ache. I see too many folk pulling their hair out after it All Goes Wrong! As they say, If It Ain't Broke.....
                            NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

You are not going to make the PJ less reliable with a good chip installed correctly.
                              Chips get a bad name from improper use.
                              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X