Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NS did engine rattle at idle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NS did engine rattle at idle

    Hi Guys,

    Hoping for some feedback on an issue that has just come up with my NS did.

    Short story is;

    A rattle has appeared over the last few days that seems to be coming from the forward drivers side of the engine but only at idle. Sounds as though it could be tensioner or lifters.

    When I say rattle it is a slapping or tapping type sound. The sound is not overly aggressive but it is enough to cause concern.

    The car runs as normal, idle at about 600 rev and normal power under operation.

    When revs hit about 900 the noise disappears.

    Hoping someone may have experienced something similar and may be able to pin point the source before I am at the mercy of the MM.

    Also wondering if I should risk driving to the MM?

    I have given a bit of history below also;

    Had been noticing for a few weeks a minor change to engine noise at traffic lights. Hard to describe as it is one of those things you are not quite sure if you are actually hearing or imagining. It basically sounded like it was idling a little rough, though rev's were constant at about 600 and car was otherwise running fine. Started to notice this after last service (180k km). Not sure if this is related to current issue but timing belts were checked at this service.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Cheers ... Dave

  • #2
    Sounds like a warning!

    Get straight to a trusted Mechanic

    Sounds like your timing chain
    NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

    Comment


    • #3
      This could be a bolt for the alternator. I remember reading a reply on here a while ago. Apparently a not too uncommon problem. I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction, or get under and have a look.

      Cheers, Evan.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DISCO View Post
        Hi Guys,

        Hoping for some feedback on an issue that has just come up with my NS did.

        Short story is;

        A rattle has appeared over the last few days that seems to be coming from the forward drivers side of the engine but only at idle. Sounds as though it could be tensioner or lifters.

        When I say rattle it is a slapping or tapping type sound. The sound is not overly aggressive but it is enough to cause concern.

        The car runs as normal, idle at about 600 rev and normal power under operation.

        When revs hit about 900 the noise disappears.

        Hoping someone may have experienced something similar and may be able to pin point the source before I am at the mercy of the MM.

        Also wondering if I should risk driving to the MM?

        I have given a bit of history below also;

        Had been noticing for a few weeks a minor change to engine noise at traffic lights. Hard to describe as it is one of those things you are not quite sure if you are actually hearing or imagining. It basically sounded like it was idling a little rough, though rev's were constant at about 600 and car was otherwise running fine. Started to notice this after last service (180k km). Not sure if this is related to current issue but timing belts were checked at this service.

        Any help greatly appreciated.

        Cheers ... Dave

        Would help to know if it's petrol or diesel.

        If diesel, my guess would be timing chain.

        Have it checked ASAP otherwise you will be looking at serious $$$$$$$$$.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the replies ...
          I guess my question now is ... if timing chain is the culprit is it normal for the paj to still run fine and for the sound to disappear over 900 revs?

          I am sure there are a few out there who have had this issue before?

          & if it is the timing chain, are we talking just the upper chain guide or chain itself? IF the guide, can I drive to the MM or should I avoid this?

          My thoughts are that as the sound goes away at 900 revs it would be more likely to be lifters?

          If it is belt tensioner, would the sound go away?

          I am convinced that the engine visibly rattles (shakes) more at idle and when I rev over 1000rpm it seems completely fine.

          I am going to inspect the chain guide before driving it, if this looks fine then what .. any help?

          Can anyone recommend a trusted MM around Springvale or between there and Port Melbourne?

          Thanks in advance!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not sure who to recommend

            My Pajero has only ever been serviced by MM and the tensioner was put in at some stage using sealant and that blocked the oil inlet that keeps pressure in the tensioner.

            After inspection you could notice a hammering effect to the end of the tensioner that pusher against the guide

            Also mine only seemed noticeable at idle but noticeably quieter after

            It seemed to have a slight rhythm to it when idling
            NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

            Comment


            • #7
              I take it you have a diesel, if it is the chain then any slack it has will taken away over a certain rpm.
              If its the chain making the noise then its a time bomb.
              Any warranty.
              MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

              Comment


              • #8
                If I had noise like that I'd have the rocker cover off in no time.
                Get it checked out!
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Interesting question - I've never been in another NS DID so don't have anything to compare to. I assume this is the same situation as the OP.

                  I also know that when I have been consciously listening for anything out of the ordinary sometimes I think there is a change in sound.

                  Taipan and others with the knowledge - do you believe the DID timing chain failures are directly related to upper guide issues?

                  If Dave gets his rocker cover off and the top guide is OK, is his chain likely to be OK as well?

                  James.
                  07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Axis View Post
                    If Dave gets his rocker cover off and the top guide is OK, is his chain likely to be OK as well?
                    James.
                    The guides can wear and the tensioner may seize or be at its limit.
                    MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Phil View Post
                      The guides can wear and the tensioner may seize or be at its limit.
                      Thanks Phil. I recently did my valves and changed guide. Did not check tensioner as I don't know how or what to look for! My old guide was fine, small amount of wear, no cracks or noticeable fatigue.

                      For me (or the OP Dave) If the guide is OK (and changed), should we worry about the tensioner and chain? How do you check the tensioner and chain?

                      Cheers. Asking in the hope the answers educate me and others.
                      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                        If I had noise like that I'd have the rocker cover off in no time.
                        Get it checked out!
                        Contact a dealer that you use they will advisor you what to do.
                        If its the chain put it on a flat top and transport that way
                        Dont drive it. Keep us updated as well.
                        Cheers andrew

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for the discussion guys.

                          Sounds like timing chain guide and or chain itself is the first thing I need to check off.

                          I am going to pick up a chain guide today and inspect the guide this arvo hopefully.

                          I am sure my guide will be worn as chain guide has not been done (should have spent more time on this forum hey!)

                          Is there any way I can tell if the chain is suffering from tensioner issues? eg. after replacing the guide will I notice if there is too much slack in the chian (as I have no idea how much tension is meant to be there) Anything else to look at while I am under the cover?

                          Ill post back after I replace the guide and let you know if this helps .... hopefully this does not involved the words "guide smashed!!"

                          Thanks again for the help ... greatly appreciated.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Also .. yep NS (2007) DID and Nope ... No warranty

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mine was making a rattle noise at idle. It was quite rhythmic in that it would rattle for about 5 secs and then disappear for the same time and then rattle came back. MM diagnosed it as timing chain tensioner and replaced it under warranty. All quiet now and running great.

                              The NS onwards doesn't seem to have the same top guide problems as the NM/NP so I would be looking at the tensioner.
                              08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

                              Comment

                              Matched content

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X