Front End Clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front End Clunk

I bought my Pajero 6 weeks ago. It's a 2008 DiD with 86K.

I can hear a clunk from the front right suspension when turning on a slope, turning tightly or stopping quickly.

It's a typical front end clunk that in a regular car would be indicative of pending problem.

Should I take it in to be looked at or is this normal with these cars?

Many Thanks

no clunk is normal , so i say you have the front end area looked at then you will know results.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I've had a clunk in my Paj for a couple of years now, I think it is front left. It happens rarely, and usually when 4wding in soft sand. I've had a couple of mechanics check it out with them not finding anything.
      07 NS GLX 3.2 DiD Auto - Bushskinz bash plate + custom bash plate - Rocksliderz - factory bull bar - Pirelli scorpion ATRs - Ironman awning - Rhino Pioneer Luggage tray - Chip it race pipe - Home made breathers - 2" (Bilstein/Lovell) - No Limit Chip - Torque Pro for Android

Comment

front end clunk

Yep, ive had the same clunk in the front left as described...usually when the wheel has lifted and comes back down. Not all the time, just every now and again.
        Ive had it looked at too and pulled it down to inspect myself but found nothing.
        I thought it may have been the CV but its fine.
        Its only happened after I gave it the 2inch lift.
        Last edited by deanflett; 19-12-13, 11:54 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling.
        07 VRX, Silver. Extended Diff breathers. EGR block with drilled throttle body. TJM snorkel. No limit module. 2inch lift with Bilsteins/ Lovells. GME TX3510 with AE4018K1 antenna. Rhino H/D Roof bars. Tigerz11 Roof top tent cage. Tigerz11 Roof top tent and side awning. Bushskins underbody Protection. 70 Ltr Companion Fridge/Freezer. ARB Deluxe bar. Roo Systems 7hp winch. Hella driving lights. Maxxis Bighorns, 275/70/18. Deleted pesky start up noises..

Comment

Responses appreciated.

The clunk is certainly intermittent, and it's always a single clunk, sounds like a ball joint or something. Usually when turning tightly, on a slope or even braking.

The dealer is going to ride shotgun this Sunday.

My only concern is the front end collapsing on me on the highway or something but my guess is that that's highly unlikely since the front end should be somewhat over engineered not thus not troubled by city driving conditions.

Comment

Dealer drove the car and acknowledged they could hear the clunk. They checked the front end thoroughly, loosened and tightened a variety of bolts but couldn't silence the noise.

Guess it's "normal" and I'll have to live with it.

Comment

Check out the wheel nuts are torqued properly. Mine had a clunk noticeable when reversing at near full lock. I had a wheel alignment done and it went away, so it was either the alignment or the wheel nuts being retensioned when they rotated the tyres.
              NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

could also be worn sway bar bushes. mine are worn and it clunks and groans like nobodies business.
                Ben.
                Cheer, Beno.

1999 MK TRITON DUAL CAB. CRAPPY STD ALLOY BULLBAR. BLACK RIMS WITH 32 in MUDDYS. HID HEAD AND SPOT LIGHTS. ORICOM UHF. WANT A LOKKA FO THE FRONT AND A DECENT BULLBAR.

Comment

Originally posted by InJapan View Post
                  Dealer drove the car and acknowledged they could hear the clunk. They checked the front end thoroughly, loosened and tightened a variety of bolts but couldn't silence the noise.

Guess it's "normal" and I'll have to live with it.
                  I have had this clunk as well and we can't figure it out.

In the process, I have changed the following:

1) - Upper and Lower Ball Joints

2) - New shocks and Springs ( 2inch lift kit)

3) - Sway bar bushings

4) - Rubber bumps

5) - New tyres

6) - New Mount Assy

Stilll the clunk remains...

If you find out please let me know..

Cheers - Ratu

Comment

I've still got it too after they replaced a tie-rod assembly.

Watching this thread with interest...
                    COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

Mine clunks from both sides during tight turns in carparks etc. I reckon ball joints
                      as with my last PJ and Hilux.
                      I'm living with it. Ball joints feel fine unladed but a small wear mark would be all
                      the joint needs to clunk when you do a tight turn or put the joint out of it's of
                      it's normal range if you know what I mean.
                      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

My car is still under warranty, next service is due in April.

I'll have them check the front end thoroughly at that time. The techs in Japan are pretty thorough. The car passed a sales inspection 2 months ago and was checked again last week. If there was a problem I think they would find it. Basically, I guess the clunk is "normal".

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X