NS Fuel filter temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Fuel filter temp

Hi All. Has anybody felt the fuel filter after a trip. mine is to hot to touch. Filter was replaced, drove 500km,pulled up to disconnect the chip as it was chewing up the fuel. Fuel rail is behind the fuel filter as as I reached around the filter bang massive blister, burnt that bad that it doesn't hurt.

With chip removed drove rest of way to Briss, 1300km. popped bonnet filter still red hot

Has anyone else had this problem? Any Mitsi techs on the forum heard of this?

Thanks
    2007 NS VRX 3.2 Manual, 265/70/17 , 3' Scott Rods Exhaust, SPVi EGR Module, TJM Snorkle. 2008 ML triton 3.2 manual.

Not a problem. The fuel will run hot. Even hotter with low fuel and on long trips.
    This is the reason it is advisable not to drive with the fuel light on.
    No fuel in the tank to dissipate the heat of fuel returning from the engine.
    Most recommend to fill at a quarter of a tank if possible.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

this is not an in tank fuel filter / pump being taliked about its the under bonnet filter which i doubt very much should become even just hot . most of the heat would be coming off the engine and under the bonnet not alot of free air, i would be getting this checked out asap as it could be a fire issue i feel.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Hi Goodsy, I understand the fuel will get hot depending on levels etc. When I get home in the new year I will get a temp probe on it and let you know the temp. The burn on my arm is a white burn prob not far off a 3rd degree as there no pain so filter would have to be 60 degrees plus. I couldn't touch the filter with fingers on both occasions. LOL.

Yes was impatient and should have waited for it to cool down but no way I was delaying any longer than I had to.
        2007 NS VRX 3.2 Manual, 265/70/17 , 3' Scott Rods Exhaust, SPVi EGR Module, TJM Snorkle. 2008 ML triton 3.2 manual.

Comment

60-70 is hot. I'll have to check mine out after a long run. But with 2 filters it may be difficult.
          Second thoughts it does sound too hot.
          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

This the first common rail I've owned so not sure about the filter temp but I've never seen a filter I couldn't touch

Anyone know if the NS Common rail has a fuel cooler on it? If so where would it be?

I know the V8 Cruiser does.

Comment

After reading this I rushed out to check the fuel filter on the paj as soon as the missus pulled up. Was cool to the touch but only a 15 minute run and tank is 3/4 full.

Won't have a longer run until the weekend.
              07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Been watching this thread and was curious so I checked mine last night after a 70km run mostly at 80-100km/h.
                It was hot but not scalding hot, could keep hands on it for more that 10 seconds. Tank was half way.
                One of the last of the 08/09 NS DID GLX off the shelf!
                Cool silver, black factory bullbar (to be replaced) & full tint. 697 LT 265/65/17. NS>NT Upper manifold replacement. MM Towbar, BushSkinz IC & Sump guards, Self made cargo liner. Reverse cam. Bluetooth Aux In.

Comment

To those reporting the fuel filter being hot. Is the fuel tank as hot? If it is the fuel causing the filter to heat, the tank should be hot too.
                  Peter

Comment

Will do a shorter run today around bris today and reach under to check the tank as well as the filter.
                    As I said before this is the first diesel I have seen that the filter has gotten this hot.
                    Paj runs fine, no issues, consumption is OKish.

Comment

Reminded me. Run home from work abour 28K's. Gives the PJ a bit of a work out as there is a lot of 0-100k stuff.
                      Anyway got home and checked the filter. Reckon 55-60C. Could hold it no more than 1 - 2 seconds. Will get the heat gun on it next time.
                      Surprised me actually. Only 50k's off a full tank too.

Ambient temp was about 36C which I think pays a big part as the tank is used to cool the returning fuel.
                      During winter I'd be surprised if these temps could be reached.
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Good to know mine isn't the only one running hot. Now to find out why as I don't think it is a good thing. Definitely not a good thing for my arm.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chutsy33 View Post
                          Now to find out why as I don't think it is a good thing.
                          Why, cause its common rail. Very simply, the fuel pump pressurises the rail to some ungodly value like 1300bar or more. To do this, lots of heat is produced. The injector only takes a minute amount of the fuel in the rail, the rest is returned to the system as hot fuel. It is then taken back to the pump, via the filter, and so goes the process again. The smaller the volume of fuel in the tank, the greater its temp.

Couldn't tell you the normal operating temp of the fuel at the filter though. That's probably what you need to find out, so you can ascertain if your filter is normal or not.
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Hay Goodsy, short run to the shop last night with bugger all fuel, light not on but close, up to 80km/hr and filter only warm. Will do a longer faster run and check again. Might drop in at a Mitsi dealer and see if they can tell me if the NS runs a fuel cooler.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the fuel in the tank getting too hot.

Considering factors such as distance from heat source and shear volume of fluid it would take an unrealistic amount of time to heat the tank to a dangerous level, and that's assuming there's no cooling from the air.

I would think it's better to run your tank down into reserve as often as possible to ensure that the fuel in your tank stays fresh.

Imagine leaving your coffee pot half full and adding 50% fresh coffee every morning. How's it going to taste?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X