Best Diesel Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Diesel Brand

Having read all of the posts regrarding the DPF issues (although I drive a manual myself), I have been interested that a few different brands of fuel have been mentioned as being better than others.

From everyone's experience, what's the best brand of diesel to use? I want to make sure I give my Paj the best fuel available.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

The main difference at the moment is the sulfur content. BP fuels are marketting that they are currently rolling out diesel in most areas at 10 ppm, whilst others including Shell are advertising at the current legislated fuel standard of 50ppm (50mg/kg). 10ppm does not come into legislative effect until 2009. Having asked a couple of times at BP stations they could not tell me if they were supplying 10ppm diesel, so go figure if BP has actually rolled it out or not?
    The whole move to low sulfur is to reduce emmissions, which is in line with the DPF objectives. One thing is for sure, read what the MM manual says about biofuels and be carefull about exceeding the stated blend % if you wander down this path.
    Last edited by Eastie; 09-08-07, 06:29 PM.
    NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Here is a small piece of info out of the "Cummings Fuel economy Guide" that relates to low sulphur deisel .

Fuel Blends
      While blended fuels provide better startability and protection against fuel gelling/waxing than
      standard No.2 diesel, fuel efficiency decreases. ?Summer? fuel improves economy up to 3%
      more than ?winter? fuel. Low sulphur fuels will further decrease economy
      This is really such as interesting link ,we all should read it . Cheers Scott
      http://www.trucknbus.com.au/allrig/t...el_economy.pdf
      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Another difference between the various brands of diesel is the CZ number.

BP has the highest being 51

Shell is 49 and Caltex 47

The higher the number the easier the diesel is to ignite.

When I had my VW Golf diesel 2.0ltr they specified CZ of 51.

Cheers
        Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum LWB Diesel 2012 towing AVAN Caravan the Liam 18ft adventure pack with ALKO AKS3004 coupling.

Comment

Originally posted by JandG View Post
          Another difference between the various brands of diesel is the CZ number.

BP has the highest being 51

Shell is 49 and Caltex 47

The higher the number the easier the diesel is to ignite.

When I had my VW Golf diesel 2.0ltr they specified CZ of 51.

Cheers
          That's interesting. I have been using Caltex diesel from delivery. (My leasing company uses Caltex) The DPF light has not come on for me but my fuel economy has been 13.2 - 13.8 so maybe that's why my economy has not been great. (I have the AUTO DiD but was hoping for less than 12l/100km.
          2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

I don't get this thread.

In Brisbane where I live - there are just 2 refineries, whence all fuel comes ultimately. Caltex and BP - so all fuel comes from one or the other - or from foreign refineries, which is blended and sold by all companies anyway. How come diferent brands of diesel can have different properties?

What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by obione_98 View Post
              I don't get this thread.

In Brisbane where I live - there are just 2 refineries, whence all fuel comes ultimately. Caltex and BP - so all fuel comes from one or the other - or from foreign refineries, which is blended and sold by all companies anyway. How come diferent brands of diesel can have different properties?

What am I missing?
              You've answered your own question...Although all of the fuel comes from the two refineries each brand is blended differently. They use different additive packages and different base blends which leads to very different end use fuels.

Caltex/safeway/Woolies seems to give poor fuel economy in my NM DiD with very little difference between Shell and BP.

Peter
              2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

More to the point:
                The NS manual states on page 2:
                Recommended fuel for Diesel powered vehicles is diesel with a Cetane number of 51 or higher. That excludes Shell and Caltex as they have lower CZ numbers namely 49 and 46 respectively.

Not sure what all this really means but I am sticking with BP which has a CZ of 51. I am currently travelling in the Narrabri area and have filled up with the BP ULSD 10ppm.

All info can be found on the Caltex, Shell and BP websites.

Cheers
                Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum LWB Diesel 2012 towing AVAN Caravan the Liam 18ft adventure pack with ALKO AKS3004 coupling.

Comment

That is interesting as I am about to lease my car and they have deals with Caltex.

I wander how that will go with this news?

Richard

Comment

I have just phone BP and Caltex and all diesel retailers will specify a minimum CZ of 46 which is a government regulation.

Even Caltex have low sulpher and expect the CZ to be > 50 but reports only the min. 46, and there should be no discernable difference unless the CZ figure jumps up by at least five ie. 46 - 51 there is no real difference.

Even MMA accept the CZ of 45 and greater is fine.
                    Last edited by MinniTheMoocha; 16-08-07, 10:48 PM.
                    2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

Best Diesel

capemanifold,

That link to the truck and bus website has some very interesting information. It seems to me that very much of this information relates not only to trucks & buses, but could well lead to reduced fuel useage in our 4X4 also. Other aspects eg. Cummins testing indicating that there is little or no advantage between synthetic & mineral oil usage, etc. I found the whole article of interest.
                      NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

Glad you had a look at that article OLDPAJ ,it was very interesting and contained a few good pointers I thought ...Cheers
                        2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X