Dust Entry to Rear Passenger Doors LWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Entry to Rear Passenger Doors LWB

Anyone else noticed dust entry to their rear passenger doors?
    I do a fair bit of dirt road driving and over the last 9 months I have found that I get a lot of dust coming through, mostly deposited on the black plastic foot tread/threshold on the inside of the back passenger doors (front doors I give a 9/10, and rear door 10/10 for dust entry). I noticed it fairly early on and I initially rang my dealer and they said to drive with the a/c on, sure, except on an off road vehicle you'd expect the seals to work properly. It seems to me that the seals don't match up with the door properly and might be a design issue. Before I make an issue of it at the dealer I just wanted to see if its something that others have noticed now that there are more NS's out there - or is it just me? Cheers, Mike
    NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

is your door alignment ok?
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
      is your door alignment ok?
      Yeah I think so. I do find that they sometimes need an extra nudge (or extra force) to close completely - could that be sign of them being out of alignment?
      NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

I also do a lot of dirt road driving and if you dont have the fan on fairly high you do get dust ingress. In no vehicle will you be able to stop this unless you have the fan on about 4 a/c on or off doesnt matter but it cant be switched to recirc so you cant use climate control. this works by increasing the air pressure inside the vehicle and stops dust working its way in. Just finished an 8000km trip and no dust.

Cheers Adrian
        NW Pajero VR-X
        Currently stock

Comment

If you have look at the lower edge of the rear door outside the rubbers, you will see openings for water drainage. These are necessary in the side doors because water always gets in when you have openable windows, but I've found them useless on the rear door.

I've put tape over these holes and don't have dust problem.

If the plastic liner inside the rear door has not been well applied you may have a dust leak.
          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

I had the same problem in my NP. I called Mitsubishi and complained. They put an internal seal kit in the car. Took 3 days to install. Now no dust at all. Good tip anyway is the keep the fan in 2 speed on recycle at all times. It was all covered under warranty.

It is also a problem in some nissan models as well.

Nicko
            2005 PLATINUM EDITION 3.8 V6, COOPER ST'S LOVELL SPRINGS, BILSTEIN SHOCKS, ARB WINCH BAR, MAGNUM WINCH, LIGHTFORCE SPOTTIES,TJM BASH PLATES, SUMP GUARD, TRANSMISSION GUARD, DUAL BATTERY, 60 LTR TRAIL BLAZER FRIDGE

Comment

Fixed

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
              If you have look at the lower edge of the rear door outside the rubbers, you will see openings for water drainage. These are necessary in the side doors because water always gets in when you have openable windows, but I've found them useless on the rear door.

I've put tape over these holes and don't have dust problem.

If the plastic liner inside the rear door has not been well applied you may have a dust leak.
              Thanks Mike DiD,

I finally got around to washing the car inside and out and putting the tape over those holes in the rubber seal.

So far so good - no dust entry.

The water issue shouldn't be a problem where I live, unless of course it rains some time!!

Mikens

Comment

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
                In no vehicle will you be able to stop this unless you have the fan on about 4 a/c on or off doesnt matter but it cant be switched to recirc so you cant use climate control.
                I don't understand why it can't be switched to Recirculate ?

To minimise dust entry on dirt roads, you want to drive with Recirc OFF, then turn Recirc ON when the road in front of you is dusty from oncoming traffic.(don't drive in convoys !!!!)
                Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Mike,
                  Unfortunately you can't have it both ways.

You either have the ventilation on fresh air (recycle off) which has the effect of pressurising the interior to stop the vehicle sucking in dust around the seals, which is by far the best alternative on dusty roads or if you are following another vehicle then having the controls on recycle which stops the dust coming in through the fan but will then allow dust to enter around the seals.

Dennis.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopperoo View Post
                    if you are following another vehicle then having the controls on recycle which stops the dust coming in through the fan but will then allow dust to enter around the seals.
                    I never had any significant dust entry when in Recirc mode in the NP.

I haven't taken the NS on a dusty road yet - if it lets in lots of dust, then it's not fit-for-purpose as an all-road vehicle.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X