Fitting larger tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting larger tyres

Who has fitted larger tyres and what size have you fitted?

I only ask this because I wondered what size you can fit in that plastic cover on the rear. It looks like there is room to go up about 1".
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

1" larger diameter will mean the performance will dull off quite a bit, also will be illegal. you can go for a larger profile but keep the same rolling diameter within a few %. there are heaps of tyre web sites with the calculators..
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

what size tyres do you have on at present. I found coopers have the larges range of sizes if you are 1 wanting to stay legal and 2 dont want to change your rims. In QLD you are ony allowed 15ml in rolling diameter.

for eg: I have 265/65/r17 cooper ATR and wanted a mud terrain. I went for cooper st 245/70/r17 this increased by 1ml. only other oprion was the stt same size which gave 4mls. also if you go above the 15mls it will put your speedo out thus making your insurance invalid as well...

If you want to change you rims sizes there are other options avail.

Hope this helps
      2005 PLATINUM EDITION 3.8 V6, COOPER ST'S LOVELL SPRINGS, BILSTEIN SHOCKS, ARB WINCH BAR, MAGNUM WINCH, LIGHTFORCE SPOTTIES,TJM BASH PLATES, SUMP GUARD, TRANSMISSION GUARD, DUAL BATTERY, 60 LTR TRAIL BLAZER FRIDGE

Comment

Just picked up my Pajero ..... My vehicle has BFG ATR's 265/70/17 and they fit very nicely and the NSW Police have these on there Pajero's so there should not be any issue (in NSW...), however be aware that the tread of the off road tyre does produce signifcant road noise, i.e the more gnarly the tyre tread the more noise. After noting all the threads regarding the NS diesel noise I can honestly say the road noise is more an issue. I did inquire about the latest ECU flash updated , yes mine has it and the diesel rattles are minimal. My only issue is with sound deading under the vehicle and in the wheel arches, I will start a new thread on this issue. My advice is to go no bigger than 265/70/17 or the equivalent in the 18" rim on a standard vehicle with no lift.
        2007 NS SWB Pajero R DID, Rear Locker, BFG 265/70/17 T/A KO's, Towbar, B&D Bashplates, LRA AUX Fuel Tank, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm lift,
        Dual Battery, ORS Fridge Pack 1,Fully Dynamatted, Bushskinz Sliders,ARB Deluxe Bar,Safari Snorkel, Chipit module, EGT Kit, DPF Delete, DPF SIM, Winch,Torque Converter Lockup, EGR fully sorted

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100

Comment

Will use 17" rims but will definately not go with Coopers. I have had some bad experiences with them.

Will look at Goodyear MTR's probably, I have always found them the best alround compramise.

Never had a problem with putting larger tyres on here in Victoria. Not saying it is legal but I did have a smash last year which was investigated by the insurance company and they had no problem with the tyres. I was running 32" when 29" were standard.
          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
          1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

If it is an auto you might note that lots of NP owners complained that when switching from 70 to 75 series tyres the lockup torque convertor would unlock at the slightest incline or throttle opening due to the taller overall gearing.

Pat
            16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
            10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

The standard 265/65/17 Bridgestone Duellers are great on road. I admit I was a bit nervous of their toughness offroad but so far no problems. They are pretty new, after all . I will be watching the performance as they wear. If they are like other bridgestones i have had that should not take long

If I changed tyre brands on my NS, i would keep to the same size, and want similar on road performance. I had BFG AT tyres before and did not like their wet weather bitumen grip, i definitely would not fit them to such a quick vehicle as the NS without some testing. (to be fair, they were on my NH which is a very different car - I have Michelin ATs on that one now and they seem pretty tough all rounders with better wet grip on the tar)

Andrew
              Cheers,
              Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
              1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

I've fitted 265/75/16 to my 05 NP, I don't have a dust collector for my spare so I can't help you there.The larger tyres have not effected the fuel consumption at all & my speedo reads correct now. Very happy with my 265/75/16 Mickey Thompsons.

Been raining for the last two days, Got the "Trails of the spinifex" map out & going to have some fun.

Cheers Gary
                Dual Battery
                80Ltr Waeco
                91Ltr Longrange Tank
                3" Lovells/Bilstein
                3” Exhaust
                Winch
                NP 05 DID

Comment

Working...
                X