Unhappy with hire DID pajero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy with hire DID pajero

This bloke does not appear to be a potential NS auto buyer, I do not personally agree with his comments ,but every one to their own I suppose....
    read on

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2...c.php?t=117549
    2007 DID AUTO

To some extent i agree... i hate the lack of flexibility of the both DiD's, but i could learn to live with it for general driving, but then the noise.... i do a bit of sand drivin, although acceptable, the did was near useless on any serious dunes.

As for the tfc thing, i dont think this is a common pajero trate.....

Comment

I had trouble getting INTO 4wd Llc the first time until i figured out you had to be in NEUTRAL to go in & out of low range. Sounds like that guy never figured it out - he got into it by accident but not out. I was really unimpressed the first time also, i even managed to get the transfer box into a neutral limbo state myself. This only applies to LOW range, not the other options. The other times i tried there was a bit of a delay going in sometimes as well, but nothing to worry about once you know whats what.

As for the diesel, well i bought the petrol and only have the briefest of doubts when its time to fill up....... seriously, its great on the road but you do spend more time in LLc for serious 4wdriving than you would in a diesel, in order to get that comfortable crawl up the steep bits.
      Cheers,
      Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
      1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

What a story teller, he's better off with a horse & cart
        Dual Battery
        80Ltr Waeco
        91Ltr Longrange Tank
        3" Lovells/Bilstein
        3” Exhaust
        Winch
        NP 05 DID

Comment

You need to be moving for it to change into and out of 4Wd. You can do it when stopped but it won't change out until you move again but you need ease off on the accelerator.

The only time nuetral is needed is for LLC and be stopped.

I got into this trouble the first time I used 4WD. I also did not work out until after I climbed my first big hill that to get into LLC you had to go into nuetral but it still made it up! The diesel had the torque to do it and the TC help with traction as it was very shaley rock. I have not tried sand yet so can't comment on a diesel in sand but I couldn't see it not being possible to traverse dunes when so many other diesels can do it. My diesel still pulls hard after 3k RPM so not sure of his problem.

If you read the manual it does what its supposed to do and engages with only a minimum of delay. The dash lights will flash until it basically is able to change shall I say safely with no "clunks" like they are used to.
          2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

maybe someone who is a member on that board could reply letting this whiner know that he needs to read the manual. every report i have read from the critics always mention the excellent 4wd system, just helps if you know how to use it.
            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

He has a NL already - he knows the ins and outs of the superselect system, difference between 1 and 2 was simply the lever become electro mechanical. The other point to note, hes used to be a regular on the last forum, was a nice guy and is entitled to his valid opionin - think twice before you bag someone.

Comment

if he knew all about it then yes he was having a whine, that's why he posted it (or least that's how i read it) . Just my opinion to think what i thought also. just defending the good ol paj
                Last edited by matthewfnorbert; 18-08-07, 07:59 PM.
                SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

Originally posted by 6G74 View Post
                  He has a NL already - he knows the ins and outs of the superselect system, difference between 1 and 2 was simply the lever become electro mechanical. The other point to note, hes used to be a regular on the last forum, was a nice guy and is entitled to his valid opionin - think twice before you bag someone.
                  If if he knows how to use it then the way he wrote about does not give that impression! All of us who use a Paj and read the post thought the user was a complete novice to Paj's

In fact the manual states "When the lever is shifted between 2H -> 4H or 4H -> 4Hlc while the vehicle is stopped, the 2WD/4WD operation indicator lamp blinks while the selection is in process. Drive slowly and normally after confirming that the lamp is illuminated." It also states that "When the vehicle in not in motion, shift the selector lever to the "N" (NEUTRAL) position before operating the transfer shift lever".
                  Last edited by MinniTheMoocha; 18-08-07, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Today I went to the Cathedral Ranges in Victoria and put the Pajero to the test again.

I have confirmed the exact scenario that was posted by this guy. If you stop the vehicle and try to put the activation lever straight into 4llc from 2H or 4H you lose motion as the drive system will not engage and the lights flash for the centre difflock and wheels. And guess what? this is a "user" issue as this is exactly what the manual tells you not to do. You need to have the centre diff lock activated "before" stopping and going into 4llc. Also if you move from 2h -> 4H or 4H - > 4Hlc when stopped you need to put the auto into nuetral first! If you don't do this it won't engage properly and end up with the car not wanting to move.

Even the manual again answers why he had to turn the car off and then on. The manual states "If a problem is detected with the transfer system, a safety device will activate....Park your vehicle...,turn off the engine for a few moments. Restart the engine"

Hope this helps others.

After todays outing I prefer to change while on the move / coasting. It works every time. When you don't do it right it will stuff up!

Just seeing the toyota boys today hopping into and out of their cars everytime they needed to change into 4WD made me appreciate how easy the system really is.

Comment

I went up to Stockton Beach NSW last weekend, As my NS is pretty new, I decided to take the NH and 2 passengers. Its a 4cyl part time 4WD but did well in low range with the tyre pressure lowered. We will be going back for sure.

But....... The NS has manual hubs. I drove onto the back dune area and past a bogged suzuki, then started to get stuck myself........ a minute later we remembered the NH had lockable hubs & we were underway. Then went over to the suzuki to help & discovered he had done the same thing ! It was his first 4wd so he was pretty happy to be unstuck
                      Last edited by macguru; 20-08-07, 05:03 PM.
                      Cheers,
                      Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
                      1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

i must say after the ecu flash the 'did' engine is now very well behaved noise wise, i like it in light traffic and almost miss the 'truck' noise
                        SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

I ended up buying a petrol because DID was too noisy! Should have waited!!! Doh!!!!
                          NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by MinniTheMoocha View Post
                            You need to be moving for it to change into and out of 4Wd. You can do it when stopped but it won't change out until you move again but you need ease off on the accelerator.
                            This is what I've found too. Sometimes if changing 4wd modes while stopped, the dash indicator lights won't change until you move off again. It only has to be a meter or so and the lights will change. As far as I could tell, the gear change does happen when your stopped but it just needs some motion to tell the computer.
                            2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X