Low fuel warning lght

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low fuel warning lght

Hi all , approx how much fuel/diesel is left in the tank when the low warning light presents it self on the dash ? .Just curious as I have never been low enough yet to have it come on ,apparently it is pretty important with these modern day pumps as the diesel also acts as a coolant and lubricant as well pumping fuel to the injectors.
    2007 DID AUTO

i believe it comes on with about 50km to go, at which time the "km to empty" read out goes blank "- -" i found if you then go light on the throttle it can for instance pop back up to say 60km to empty etc, then drop back again as you use for fuel. i would rather it just count down all the way to zero
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

mine seems to come on with about 10litres left.
      NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

Mine also comes on with 10 litres left. When it does, I reset trip meter B. I then have 80km (worst case) to put more fuel in.
        Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

I thought it not good to let your fuel drop down that low anyway? If you do run it low isn't it more likely that any gunk in the bottom of your tank will get sucked up? Or is that not a problem these days? I don't really trust that the fuel I get is gunk free (I don't live near any new servos), so most of the time I try to fill up with 100kms to go. Do I need to worry or does the fuel filter etc sort it out? Mike
          NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your replies
            2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Actually, just filled up!

Ony 8o litres in. Fuel light has been for a while......so maybe it comes on anywhere between 10 and 15 litres
              NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by mikens View Post
                If you do run it low isn't it more likely that any gunk in the bottom of your tank will get sucked up? Mike
                Isn't the fuel line from the fuel tank going to be at the bottom of the tank? Thus, even if the tank is full, any sediments, that well, sediment, to the bottom of the tank be sucked up irrespective of how full the tank is. Certainly material that sits at the top of the fuel would have a greater risk as the fuel level drops, but what sits on the top that is going to be an issue? I don't know where the fuel line enters the tank, but would have thought the biggest concern for the tank not getting too empty would be either going down hill with a fuel line at the rear, or uphill with a fuel line at the front, as air will get in while some fuel is still there. However, I would be surprised if you could not get to the last 2 litres before this became a huge risk?
                Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

Mine definitely comes on with 13-15l left in the tank. I've never put more than 75 litres in. In theory that still 150 odd km left but I usually try and refill as soon as the light comes on.
                  2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

The owner`s manual says 10L but i think close to 15L is closer to th mark as i also never have put in anymore than 80L after driving more than 50k`s after the light has come on.
                    2007 NS VRX PAJERO Di-D , AUTO , FAMILY PACK , HD TOW PACK

Comment

Filled up today 72 litres /661 km ,the needle was approx half way down the last quarter of the tank and no low fuel warning light as yet,maybe I must be close?.
                      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Maybe someone can do a trial. As soon as fuel light comes on, set tripmeter to 0 and drive until no more fuel.
                        Any volunteers?

Comment

Hi all,
                          Once when my fuel warning light came on i was able to pull into a servo within 100 mts. I put in 78 lts and it would not take even a thimble full more. So the approx 10 lts left was very accurate. The distance you can then travel would depend on many factors, which would also depend on the indivduals driving habits etc.
                          Regards from Col.
                          NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X