Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly Aircon

Hi guys,

We have a 2008 VRX diesel, LWB and have noticed that when you use the front wiper washer at the same time as the aircon is on we get a dirty musty smell coming from the aircon.

I have checked the aircon drain, to see that it is flowing freely, so what gives?

We use the aircon a lot and never seem to have the smell, it is only when you use the front wiper washers that the smell appears.

Have it booked in for a service on Friday so will await with interest what they find.

Any ideas?

Dave

2008 VRX, LWB, ARB Bar and stuff

The evap coil is growing

Once the water leak is plugged, you may need to see a auto aircon repairer and pick up a can of anti-baterial stuff.
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Is the aircon on recirc when you get the smell?

Is the washer water dirty and you are just getting this smell from outside?
      I used to have a NS X DiD Shorty
      Now I drive a VW Amarok

Comment

I've had the same problem with mine since it was a couple of months old but haven't noticed it more often with the wipers on or not.

When I asked about it when I had it serviced, they told me it needs some anti-bacterial clean out for $100. I thought it was joke that a basically new car would have this problem. I also use mine regularly.

So, sorry, I can't shed any more light on then that...

Will be keen to see what you find out.
        -------------
        2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Comment

Try "Glen 20" that what some Autosparkies use instead of the overpriced air con deodorizer

Skip
          Goodbye "NJ" HELLO NS SWB V6
          "Western Australia"

Hella Ralley4000
          Poly Air Bags
          Thule Roof Racks
          Waeco Fridge
          More Additions soon $$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by skippy75 View Post
            Try "Glen 20" that what some Autosparkies use instead of the overpriced air con deodorizer

Skip
            Hi Skippy75, interesting tip - I have a smelly air-con too. Do you know if it is just a matter of spraying it down the external air vents while running the air-con ? Is there any risk to paint work from Glen 20?
            Gone: NS GLX DiD Auto.

Comment

Update: Had the Car serviced and the service manager said that he had seen a number of cars with this problem. Said he was going to talk to Mitsubishi rep and see what the story was. He said that he was going to put a can of deodoriser through it, but they didn't have any.

There was no mention of cost involved, in fact, I got the impression that they would fix it at no cost.

Reminds me, I had better chase the bugger up, its been two weeks since the service and it has been very quiet.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

I find that i can use the airconditioner (compressor running) and no smell at all, however as soon as i turn off the compressor, it just about chokes me, its a real shame because on some days all i need is the heater without the compressor (saves alot of fuel this way) but i can unless i wanna die lol

Marc
                05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
                brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

I tried the glen-20 trick the other day, seems to have worked. Run the air-con at full fan speed on flow through, not recirculate. If you put your hand over the intakes at the windscreen wipers, you can feel the air getting sucked in. There seems to be 2 intakes - probably connected inside somewhere. Spray the glen-20 straight in there for a good long time - both intakes for luck. (then spray it in some more :-) ). Continue to run the air-con for few more minutes. If you don't die of glen-20 poisoning you will hopefully find that the putrid smell is gone. It did the trick for me and the bad smell hasn't come back yet, although it has only been a few days so far.
                  Gone: NS GLX DiD Auto.

Comment

Thought I would just resurrect this thread as I have just experienced this problem with putrid smell coming out of the fresh air vents. The problem occurred after using my air con, which had not been used for quite some time (winter break). Saw the Glen 20 trick described above by Gregzzzz and can honestly say that it does work.
                    2007 NS SWB Pajero R DID, Rear Locker, BFG 265/70/17 T/A KO's, Towbar, B&D Bashplates, LRA AUX Fuel Tank, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm lift,
                    Dual Battery, ORS Fridge Pack 1,Fully Dynamatted, Bushskinz Sliders,ARB Deluxe Bar,Safari Snorkel, Chipit module, EGT Kit, DPF Delete, DPF SIM, Winch,Torque Converter Lockup, EGR fully sorted

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100

Comment

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
                      I find that i can use the airconditioner (compressor running) and no smell at all, however as soon as i turn off the compressor, it just about chokes me, its a real shame because on some days all i need is the heater without the compressor (saves alot of fuel this way) but i can unless i wanna die lol

Marc

The AC uses next to nothing in fuel I leave mine on all year. Driving with window open uses more fuel than the ac

Comment

Should we be at all concerned about Legionaire's here???
                        If mine was smelly, I'd be wanting to get to the bottom of the cause before masking it with toxic air putrifier....
                        '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                        '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                        '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                        '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

What condition is your cabin air filter behnd glovebox like, mine smells after a lot of dust accumulated
                          Cheers

Comment

Our NW had an intermittent bad aircon smell a few months from new. MM were going to pull the dash apart at the next service to investigate. I wasn't keen on the idea but in the end we moved back to Oz & sold it before we found out what it was.

Glenn 20 has general anti bacterial properties but perhaps an aircon servicing mob will have something specific for common aircon nasties?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Legionnaires is water born and is not related to Refrigerated Air Conditioners. Glen20 is an anti bacterial spray and safe for household use so I would suggest it will do no harm, however, I can't say if it will do any good. Others that have used it seem to think it has fixed their problem though, so I would give it a try if I had the same problem.

Steve
                              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X