Show us' ya Rack...(roof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us' ya Rack...(roof)

In the same vein as te bull bar thread...would be good to see what you have up top.

Intrested if anyone has roof rack/basket/tray on thier NS as I am looking for some ideas. I like the Rhino alloy tray set up personally - however what cross rails do you use...whats the max weight etc.
    NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Mitsubishi offer two types of cross bars, a pajero labelled one which they state is good for 60kg (I'm never quite sure if they mean per individual bar, or across the 2 supplied), and a Thule set which they rate at 80kg. I went with the Thule set, which interestingly on the Thule web site, the exact same cross bars are rated at 100kg. Go figure?, Perhaps it is the same philosophy they use with towing capacity - ie claim a lower number than elsewhere, so that they can use this as a basis for not covering warranties when these mitsubishi based numbers are exceeded?, or am I just being cynical.
    Anyway, on the cross bars I have a Thule Atlantis 200 pod which holds about 460 litres. Most of the time though the cross bars and pod are stored in the garage, and they only go on the car when I need the space, as even though the pod is aerodynamic, it still adds wind resistance, and the hieght added to the car would probably result in the pod being ripped off the car when entering some shopping centre car parks.
    Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

I would be interested on feedback regarding wind noise with various roof racks.
      Do wind deflecters greatly reduce this?
      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Yep, the wind deflectors make a big difference.

Also, using a 3/4 or half rack and having it mounted towards the back means you hear less noise inside the cab.
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Hi
          I went up hill and down dale deciding on my set - up. Ended up with 4 heavy duty Rhino Rack cross bars and new Large Rhino bag. Could not use Rhino basket as too much height on top of cross bars for garage and did not want to take on and off all the time. Could not use areodynamic Rhino cross bars as not strong enough and cannot level bars using spacers which you need to do as rails slope forward.
          Went for 4 crossbars because I just put mdf board or camping table inside the bag across the 4 bars and it provides platform for rest of stuff.
          Advantages over Rhino basket with bag - lower access makes loading easier, easier access as just unzip bag without having to lift things over basket edge, saves cost on basket, fits in garage without having to take off basket.
          However the bars do make a throbbing noise at certain speeds and they do have an effect on fuel comsumption(I reckon about 10%).
          I need to put on a wind deflector on front bar which I think will fix the noise and maybe save a bit of fuel.
          Hope this helps.
          Yellowfin
          NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
          Toyota LC200 TD V8
          - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

Yellowfin, have you got any photos of your setup?

Anyone else got any photos of their roof rack setup?
            -------------
            2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Comment

Daniel
              Not specifically but I'll take some and try to work out how to post them here!
              Yellowfin
              NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
              Toyota LC200 TD V8
              - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

Ive got 2 Rhino Commersial X Bars on my NS Shorty. They sure announce their presence at anything over about 70km/h. Very noisy buffeting, but with my rackbag on the noise reduces some what. Suspect wind gurgling inside the open ends as the culprit, as I have already plugged up the underside of the crossbars with the same rubber moulding as they use on the top of the bars.Need to do some trials taping up the ends.
                NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

I went with the Rhino cross bars and a Rhino Platform Rack. I also needed something that would fit in my garage without having to take on and off all the time. The Platform Rack is basically the floor of the alloy basket witout the sides. Mainly used for carring my Black Wolf Turbo Tent and a roof bag. Very little wind noise except in very windy conditions. Cross rails rated to 80kg.

I'll try and post some photos tomorrow.

Cheers, Sam.
                  2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

aluminium or steel basket

What are peoples preferences for roof baskets? The aluminium Rhino baskets seem to be very popular (and expensive) but my thoughts are that a steel rack would be easier to modify to personalise for things such as jerry can holders etc.

What would you suggest for a SWB?
                    -------------
                    2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Comment

Just ordered two Rhino Sportz X-bars and fixing hardware to fit on my NS SWB

Going to put 2 X 80W solar panels on there.

Panels can be tilted from 30-50degrees (Lattitude) when stationary.

Charging batteries whilst driving and towing off-road camper to provide 240V when arriving at destination.

Hope wind noise is not going to be too bad.

Cheers
                      Gerard
                      Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum LWB Diesel 2012 towing AVAN Caravan the Liam 18ft adventure pack with ALKO AKS3004 coupling.

Comment

My idea of just having dross bars and bag with table inside as base was fine in theory but recent trip showed otherwise in practice - so today put on a Rhino platform(1800x1100) and it's great - also seemed to have got rid of a lot of noise from the cross bars. Rhino guy said if noise persists then like someone else mentioned in an earlier thread, plug underneath the bars with the rubber used on top of the bars.
                        Yellowfin
                        Toyota LC200 TD V8

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowfin View Post
                          My idea of just having dross bars and bag with table inside as base was fine in theory but recent trip showed otherwise in practice - so today put on a Rhino platform(1800x1100) and it's great - also seemed to have got rid of a lot of noise from the cross bars. Rhino guy said if noise persists then like someone else mentioned in an earlier thread, plug underneath the bars with the rubber used on top of the bars.
                          They're a good bit of kit the Platform Rack. I only got the 1500 x 1100 size but it's perfect for what I carry. Just purchased a new Rhino Luggage Bag today which along with our Black Wolf Turbo Tent, fits perfectly on the Platform. Best thing is, don't have to take it off to fit in the garage (or undercover parking).

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

Daniel
                            Better late than never - some photos of my rack set - up. May end up reducing to 3 crossbars but like symmetry of the 4. The rear of the rack has a channel so you can attach a tarp to it which may be handy.
                            Attached Files
                            Yellowfin
                            Toyota LC200 TD V8

Comment

Here's some pics of my Platfrom Rack. Bloody useful and very quiet on the road. Fits in the garage too so don't ever have to take it off. Rhino luggage bag is a winner too!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X