Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone chipped a NS diesel?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into the idea of putting in a diesel chip in my new NS SWB DiD when I finally get it (it boggles the mind that it can be 'on the truck' for nearly 3 weeks just going from Altona to St Kilda...) - just wondering if anyone's had their NS diesel done?

If so, what chip did you end up going with, do you think its worth it and...do you think it will have any effect on the DPF issues? (this might be a silly question as I'm not mechanically minded... )

Thanks
    Before: 1995 NJ SWB Pajero GLS Petrol - Blue/Silver
    After: 2007 NS SWB Pajero X Diesel - Black

given the dpf seems to like a hot exhaust i don't think it would be an issue.
    buy the berrima diesel chip http://www.dpchip.com/mitsubishi.html i have bought from them in the past for other trucks and they are great. tech wise seems to be the best product too as they will not chnage the mixture at idle etc...
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

its intresting that the same module is used in the new Prado...among other cars.
      NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

the same modules are used for "like" injection control systems as they operate with different ecu technology and protocols

ie you cannot use the VW type Pump duese (PD) ecu's on the pajero etc..

the way they work is to simply add a very discrete amount of extra fuel and change 'when' that happens (like a timing advance), discrete variables for different rpms.. the cheaper systems simply add more fuel no matter what and thats it... the berrima diesle folk can also laptop tune them if you have chnaged exhaust, turbos etc.

one of the 4x4 mags tested all of them and voted the DP as the best.
        SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

Can they be added and remved easily?

I think there is probably a lot more power to be extracted from the 3.2 but I would not want my 10 year warranty voided.

I had also heard from a MMA salesman at Dandenong that some dealers have a chip which is backed by the Mitsubishi warranty but I have never follwed that up.
          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
          1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

it is as simple us undoing a plug and disconnecting a power supply... even the mm pc's will not "see" it if you leave it on..

these really liven up the engines.. especially for overtaking.

adam i seriously doubt mma would condone a chip, i think the dealer is telling a porky. how can they get their techo heads around a chip if they cannot interprate oil specs from their own manuals
            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

I'd be wary chipping a DPF (Auto) equipped NS as the extra Exhaust Gas Temp that will result from the extra fuel may activate the catalyst in the DPF and reduce its life, leading to more DPF problems. You may also find the DPF runs permanently hot, not sure what effect this would have on its life span, but may mean particulates are burnt off sooner.

Read this for how the DPF works on the NS and you will see my logic.

DPF TECHO INFO
              NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

I would have thought that all those things you mentioned would be good things. Hotter temps and burning of particulates sooner should be better....shouldn't it?

AS for the life of the DPF....that what warranty is for.
                thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

chip would not be an issue.. the slightly higher temp may improve the situation.. after all is it not the short slow trips with low EGT that cause the dpf to clog (burning off under driving conditions cannot keep up with particulate accumulating?

give berrima diesel "andrew" a call and discuss
                  SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I would have thought that all those things you mentioned would be good things. Hotter temps and burning of particulates sooner should be better....shouldn't it?

AS for the life of the DPF....that what warranty is for.
                    DPF is classed as a consumable and is not covered under warranty.....you should get 100000km out of it though.

If you read the doco the high heat is created partly through catalyst activation, once the catalyst is depleted, then the DPF isn't going to function properly.

The burn off cycles of the DPF are also controlled through temperature parameters measured at several temp sensors in and around the catalytic converter and DPF.

If EGT's are stepped up a notch through the use of a DP chip, then the ECU is not going to know this and the control of the burnoff cycle may be affected, resulting in an incomplete cycle and overaccumulation of PM.

Let's just say I won't be the first to chip my NS, someone else can be a guineapig.
                    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Mmmmm. The idea of chopping out the DPF altogether sounds better and better all the time.

With my luck with cars I am not going to be the guinea pig either. Can someone else please chip their Paj and let us know what happens.
                      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                      1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

the dp chip is different to two people having different driving styles.. one guy may toodle around driving miss daisy getting 9l/100km and another guy gives it stick and gets 12l/100km.. the 12l guy is burning more fuel/heavier throttle and has higher egt more fuel consumption = higher egt

also i found with the diesel chips that economy increased therefore less fuel burnt and less egt
                        SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

howdy guys,

thanks for your thoughts - I was thinking of the DP chip...but yah, given the uncertainty re: the DPF issue and what's causing it and how...I might wait and see how it all pans out before I chip my baby....
                          Before: 1995 NJ SWB Pajero GLS Petrol - Blue/Silver
                          After: 2007 NS SWB Pajero X Diesel - Black

Comment

Diesel enhancing LPG Tech

Have you thought about D-Gas Diesel enhancement?

This gives a good increase in power AND gives you more ecomony!! There are more benfits however this is the main two

I have posted more info here.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...read.php?t=773

Cheers

RR
                            99 Pathfinder
                            07 NS 5 door turbo diesel Pajero
                            Rob
                            0412 30 40 30
                            www.Eco-Gas.com.au
                            DIESEL / LPG ENHANCEMENT FOR TURBO & NON TURBO VEHICLES

Comment

Are you a forum sponsor?
                              Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X