Glad I bought the Pajero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad I bought the Pajero

Well, even after all the bad things I have been hearing about the DPF I am still glad that I have ordered the Pajero and not the Prado I was looking at.

I have a mate who has a Prado and he took it down to Tassie for the offroading for the first time. It has a snorkel, A/T's and a slight lift. On the first day they were on a track with lots of water about 0.5m deep. On one particularly long section it seems that transmission sucked in water and he lost all forward drive. He spent the rest of the holiday stuck in Straun trying to get the car back to Melbourne.
    Might be a good idea to check your breather on the Paj transmission.

He was also telling me some stories from the Prado forum. Apparently the wait for diesels is now up to 9 months and Toyota dealers are now hitting people who have ordered and been waiting for a car for 6 months with a price rise!!! And yes, according to the Toyota sale contract it is legal and you have to pay if you want you car. Price rise is almost $2k I think.
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    He was also telling me some stories from the Prado forum. Apparently the wait for diesels is now up to 9 months and Toyota dealers are now hitting people who have ordered and been waiting for a car for 6 months with a price rise!!! And yes, according to the Toyota sale contract it is legal and you have to pay if you want you car. Price rise is almost $2k I think.
    Well I'd be telling them to keep it. What a hide to come out and hit you with a rise. Best make sure you read the contract carefully I guess.
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

Well, even after all the bad things I have been hearing about the DPF I am still glad that I have ordered the Pajero and not the Prado I was looking at.

I have a mate who has a Prado and he took it down to Tassie for the offroading for the first time. It has a snorkel, A/T's and a slight lift. On the first day they were on a track with lots of water about 0.5m deep. On one particularly long section it seems that transmission sucked in water and he lost all forward drive. He spent the rest of the holiday stuck in Straun trying to get the car back to Melbourne.
      Might be a good idea to check your breather on the Paj transmission.

Well I am still glad too ,I know of all the DPF problems and so far I have been trouble free so far .I support all those that have had DPF troubles so far but generally I am very happy with my Diesel auto and have talked to several auto owners in my area in the last few weeks .All owners that I have talked to are unaware of these problems re DPF issues , is this a problem more of an issue to vehicles in more southern states of Australia ? ambient temerature is much higher through out the year in QLD .This is Just a thought as i pulled up many auto owners in recent weeks and talked to them about their vehicles and they all seem to wonder what the hell I am talking about .(3 last auto's in the past week).
      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

It would be interesting to see if it's more of a problem in Southern climates, but very few who have DPF problems have helped by stating what brand of fuel they've been using.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Yeah I'm happy with mine too! Smooth, acceptably quiet since the ECU re-flash, handles well on-road, and off, and easy to drive.

Breathers are easy to locate if you want to extend them on the NS, was under there today checking out where everything is by coincidence and this is something I checked.

I've heard Prados blow diffs offroad very frequently as well - a spinning wheel hitting the ground and stopping with a jolt is enough to do it apparently.

Something the Paj is never going to experience with the traction control....
          NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

So where is the end of the auto breather. Hopefully it goes up to the top of the engine bay but I doubt it does.
            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
            1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
              It would be interesting to see if it's more of a problem in Southern climates, but very few who have DPF problems have helped by stating what brand of fuel they've been using.
              Mike I have only used BP(50pmm) since i have bought my Paj , Don't have the (10pmm) as in South East QLD until next year. I live in Central QLD.
              The CZ rating(51) is supposed to have a better rating with BP diesel and better suited to our vehicles or so I am led to believe.
              2007 DID AUTO

Comment

So where is the end of the auto breather. Hopefully it goes up to the top of the engine bay but I doubt it does.

It ends on the top side of the tranny. Feel it with your hand, theres a pipe that comes out of the transfer case, and another that comes out of the tranny, they join together into one and this terminates just behind the bell housing on top of the tranny.

Rear diff breather is also quite low and is plugged into a cross member via a white plastic terminator. Didn't check the front diff, but its also probably quite low.

All worth extending if you are tackling anything serious where water is involved.
                NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Yes, I will definately do that. If it ends on top of the tranny then that sounds like it would be lower then the 750mm wading depth.
                  thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                  1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

See my post on breather locations (new thread), Pics there.

Comment

Yes, thanks. I think the hardest part will be getting access to join an extension pipe on but I am sure it is possible.

I was surprised when I heard that the Prado had sucked in water. I have had many 4WD and driven through plenty of water but never had a problem. But then the Landrover breathers are always placed up very high.
                      I was also surprised that sucking a bit of water into the auto caused everything to stop. I am not sure how everything works but I would have thought a bit of water would just lessen the lubricating power of the oil. I know that as soon a problem was felt in the auto that he got towed to the nearest town where he dropped the oil and then refilled it with new oil. Apparently there was about 1/2 litre of water in there and he now has no forward drive at all.
                      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                      1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmo View Post
                        I've heard Prados blow diffs offroad very frequently as well - a spinning wheel hitting the ground and stopping with a jolt is enough to do it apparently.

Something the Paj is never going to experience with the traction control....
                        Yep , know of two cases.
                        Dave
                        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

I remember a 4WD magazine comparison roadtest, where they were honest enough to report that the Prado Diff had failed totally.

They waited for a replacement vehicle, continued the testing - and then gave the Prado a high rating !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
                          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

He was also telling me some stories from the Prado forum. Apparently the wait for diesels is now up to 9 months and Toyota dealers are now hitting people who have ordered and been waiting for a car for 6 months with a price rise!!!
                            From what I heard today it seems all diesels coming out of Japan at the moment are missing a part. Hence the delays and it will affect the Pajero DID as well.
                            Dave
                            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                              From what I heard today it seems all diesels coming out of Japan at the moment are missing a part. Hence the delays and it will affect the Pajero DID as well.
                              Dave
                              Missing a DPF? That sounds great!
                              -------------
                              2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X