Front recovery points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front recovery points

It seems from an old thread that the best place to attach a snatch strap at the rear is using a tow hitch hook (or similar) as people seemed to suggest the welded loops weren't strong enough. If that is the case, what would you suggest for a recovery point at the front of the vehicle if I don't have a bull bar?
    -------------
    2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Not sure about the NS. However the NM/NP have two recovery loops at the front. These can be used with a load distribution strap to snatch from.
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

The hooks at the back are tie downs (from memory), and not for recovery. If you have a tow bar take the tongue out and attach straps directly to the pin. The two hooks at the front (each side of the intercooler) are recovery hooks. MMA did a test of them (without a distribution strap) on the previous model to prove their strength and the strength of the chasis - it's in a post here somewhere(?). Using the bullbar for recovery is not an option on the NS unless you really want to rip it off or bend the mounts/chasis
      Last edited by Eastie; 04-10-07, 03:27 PM.
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Eastie View Post
        The hooks at the back are tie downs (from memory), and not for recovery. If you have a tow bar take the tongue out and attach straps directly to the pin. The two hooks at the front (each side of the intercooler) are recovery hooks. MMA did a test of them (without a distribution strap) on the previous model to prove their strength and the strength of the chasis - it's in a post here somewhere(?). Using the bullbar for recovery is not an option on the NS unless you really want to rip it off or bend the mounts/chasis
        The '4WD tips' booklet that was provided with mine suggested that the rear loops were ok to snatch from. From memory I think it also states this in the manual? Would be very interested to hear if they're not recovery points though.

If snatching using the tow bar, is the standard pin strong enough or do you need a higher rated one?

Cheers, Sam.
        2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

I also thought both booklets said that and I was told by an expert who looked at them ,front and rear ,that they were the real deal. I would also be interested if this is not the case.
          Yellowfin
          NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
          Toyota LC200 TD V8
          - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

I never recieved any booklet
            I've used the pin a couple of times to snatch and also to hook a drag chain on to drag a couple of logs. Haven't had any problems. I prefer the central position of the hitch for snatching and dragging as it doesn't pull you off the drive line (= loss of energy).
            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Sam, the standard pin is fine for snatching.
              thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
              1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

The original frame holding the Rear hooks attaches to exactly the same points that the Towbar does.
                Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

I have towed quite a few Jeeps off the trail with the rear tow hitch with a strap and the standard reciever pin for the hitch just fine, and the fronts work fine as well I can attest to their strength without bending cause I have I am sure went over the limits on some front tugs as well.
                  03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Handy advice. I think I'll use the hitch receiver pin when the need arises.
                    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X