Towing 5th gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing 5th gear

Hi ,as I have never owned an auto before ,is it okay to tow in 5th gear at lower speeds ? . I know with manuals that this is not recommended under 80km/hr but not sure about the auto ,eg is it a good idea to manually select 4th gear via the sports shift whilst towing in 60 km zones?. Apart from the 5th gear question she sure does tow beautifully , picked up 20 bales of mulching hay yesterday and hardly knew it was there.
    Last edited by capemanifold; 08-10-07, 08:12 AM. Reason: grammar
    2007 DID AUTO

Hi,
    I believe when towing that with an auto one should use 4th gear.
    Only on the flat with no headwind would I use 5th.

If you use 5th gear you don't get the ATM in lockup mode and the temperature of the Auto transmission oil will be significant higher which is NOT good.

Fuel consumption will also be less if towing in 4th gear.

Cheers
    Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum LWB Diesel 2012 towing AVAN Caravan the Liam 18ft adventure pack with ALKO AKS3004 coupling.

Comment

Originally posted by JandG View Post
      Hi,
      I believe when towing that with an auto one should use 4th gear.
      Only on the flat with no headwind would I use 5th.

If you use 5th gear you don't get the ATM in lockup mode and the temperature of the Auto transmission oil will be significant higher which is NOT good.

Fuel consumption will also be less if towing in 4th gear.

Cheers
      Who told you it doesn't lock up in 5th? It does, I can assure you. Depends on what you're towing and how much load is on the engine. I tow my 14ft tinnie loaded with camping gear very successfully at 110kmh in 5th in lockup mode. If you were to drive in 4th at this speed, fuel economy would go out the window....
      NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

I've heard concern about the auto oil overheating in 5th. Would this be the case here?
        Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

I tow my camper all the time in 5th (D for drag :-)) No ill effects whatsoever. I use the manual select when in very hilly country to stop the transmission hunting.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Just let the Auto decide which gear is best for the speed and load. It's continually monitoring load and torque converter slip, so it can make the best decision.

If it keeps on hunting between gears on a particular road, select the lower gear.
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmo View Post
              Who told you it doesn't lock up in 5th? It does, I can assure you. Depends on what you're towing and how much load is on the engine. I tow my 14ft tinnie loaded with camping gear very successfully at 110kmh in 5th in lockup mode. If you were to drive in 4th at this speed, fuel economy would go out the window....

Have a read of this discussion here.

http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforu...42411618123308

I am certainly no expert on the subject. I tow approx 1250Kg loaded off road camper plus car fully loaded including 2 people and have found the torque converter not to lock up.
              Sometimes it may do when dead flat and no wind but on the slightest incline the revs will go up hence no lock up.

Cheers
              Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum LWB Diesel 2012 towing AVAN Caravan the Liam 18ft adventure pack with ALKO AKS3004 coupling.

Comment

Important distinction would be to say if a person is talking about DiD or Gasoline eninge. Where the 3.8 would lockup DiD very likely may not because of different axle ratio
                1992 GLS Auto, 285/75R16 Yoko MT, ARB bull bar, custom rear bumper, Safari snorkel, AirLift1000, GAST compressor, ARB locker, etc
                2002 GL Auto, 285/75R16 TrXus MT for fun, 275/70R16 Scorpion ATR for life, towbar, Thomas Comrpessor

Comment

I tow 1.3tonne all the time, leave it in D, locks up no problems when cruising etc, cant see why you would hold it in 4th and use more fuel. the motor is a torque monster and loves 5th and locks up for me no issues..

these are smart autos now as mike said
                  SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

I'm with Mike and Mathew.
                    Both NM petrol and now NS diesel towing 1.2 (or thereabouts) camper and I leave it in auto, except to stop it hunting on gradual climbs or when I need to give it some extra right foot for some reason.
                    That applies to roads, whereas with tracks I will quite often use it in manual just cause I feel it gives a bit more control option.
                    Rusty
                    2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
                    Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
                    2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

Hi,
                      Only just got my NS Exceed DiD and have not yet fathomed out what the auto transmission is doing.
                      I will be mainly using it to tow a 2300kG caravan.
                      How do you know if the auto is in 'lock-up' mode in 5th?
                      Thanks. Fred
                      NS Exceed DiD, 08/2007 build, Hayman Reece Towbar & Hitch, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, GME TX3440 UHF, TJM dual battery tray, TJM 0321BSKIT dual battery Controller, Supercharge deep cycle/starting capability second battery, Milford rear cargo barrier, ECB alloy bullbar.

Comment

Its a little difficult to detect, but you will notice the revs drop slightly and with gentle acceleration, the revs will rise in proportion to the road speed. You may also here a small noise as it locks up and unlocks the clutch.

With time in the right seat you'll work out what's going on, just a matter of getting used to the way the auto acts.

Lockup will generally only occur on flat stretches of highway at low load. As soon as the gradient increases, and you put your foot down, the tranny unlocks.
                        NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmo View Post
                          Its a little difficult to detect, but you will notice the revs drop slightly and with gentle acceleration, the revs will rise in proportion to the road speed. You may also here a small noise as it locks up and unlocks the clutch.

With time in the right seat you'll work out what's going on, just a matter of getting used to the way the auto acts.

Lockup will generally only occur on flat stretches of highway at low load. As soon as the gradient increases, and you put your foot down, the tranny unlocks.
                          Thanks Wilmo for your reply on A/T lockup. I have further questions you or others may be able to help me with (and more may follow as I learn....).
                          a. Does the NS DiD A/T have an A/T oil cooler fitted? If so, where is it.
                          b. If a A/T cooler is fitted, is it water cooled or air cooled?
                          (I have tried to check by crawling underneath but cannot see anything without undoing lots of underbody stuff).
                          c. Is there an after-market A/T oil temperature guage available that could be fitted? I like to know in detail what is going on in preference to waiting for a dashboard light to illuminate telling me that the oil is already too hot!
                          Regards. Fred
                          NS Exceed DiD, 08/2007 build, Hayman Reece Towbar & Hitch, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, GME TX3440 UHF, TJM dual battery tray, TJM 0321BSKIT dual battery Controller, Supercharge deep cycle/starting capability second battery, Milford rear cargo barrier, ECB alloy bullbar.

Comment

water, oil and A/C are normally all stacked together up front these days...

you may be able to find a plug on the case or change the lines before the cooler to add a temp sender ...
                            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Originally posted by freddysolar View Post
                              c. Is there an after-market A/T oil temperature guage available that could be fitted? I like to know in detail what is going on in preference to waiting for a dashboard light to illuminate telling me that the oil is already too hot!
                              Regards. Fred
                              You could strap the sensor of an after-market gauge where the ATF pipe comes out of the A/T.

Or you could tap into the wire for the existing ATF temperature sensor.
                              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X