DiD Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiD Oil Change

Does the DiD need an oil change between major services?

I've done the 15000km service, and the next service in the book is at 30000km. Does it need an oil change now that I'm at 22500km?

15000kms seems a lot of kms between oil changes. My old diesel Rodeo needed changing every 5000km.

Is there any major benefit in doing an oil change even when the book doesn't require it? Appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
    Mikens
    NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Surely your log book has services scheduled for every 7500? I've got the NP DiD 2005 and this is what is set out for my vehicle. I can't see how a common rail would be any different. Check the service intervals in your log book or go to MMAs website for an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wal View Post
      Surely your log book has services scheduled for every 7500? I've got the NP DiD 2005 and this is what is set out for my vehicle. I can't see how a common rail would be any different. Check the service intervals in your log book or go to MMAs website for an answer.
      Thanks Wal, Yeah, thats what I would have thought - but the log book for the DiD only has regular services scheduled for 1500km, 7,500km, 15000km, 30000km (and every 15000km hereafter). The MMA dealer wrote 30,000km on the windscreen sticker down for my next service. So that is what I would have expected,

But now that you've prompted me to look at the log book a bit closer, it does outline on page 10, that under normal conditions the servicing can be done as above, however under "severe operating conditions" the oil & filter should be changed every 7,500km if Frequent short run operation, >50% in heavy city traffic, prolonged idling or stop/start driving, sustained high speed driving above 32deg, dusty, sandy, salty conditions, continuous operation at higher than normal loading, eg towing.

So that probably answers my own question - but it looks like the "severe operating conditions" would be encounted by almost every vehicle between the services. It prompts me to ask why they don't just have a standard 7500km oil and filter change service printed in the book?

Am I reading this right?

Mikens
      NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

I intend to get the between service oil changes every 7500 from my local guy, and , at least for now, take it to mitsubishi for the logbook service, in case there are any upgrades or whatever..........

That way i can keep the oil from getting too black. i just dont believe oil lasts 150000 kms......
        Cheers,
        Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
        1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

15,000kms is what their spec for ns did says, so mine isn't going back to the stealer any sooner unless the oil test I get done at a thrid party reveals it is needed. I'm using valvoine synpower oil that costs over $300 for 20litre drum, and I'll be stuffed if I'm changing oil at that price if it's not technically needed. In fact, this type of oil is changed at 30,000mk in some engines.
          NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Hi Wal.
            I agree with your comments. I change my oil every 7500kms

2011 NT. Now to transfer dual batteries, fridge slide, uhf & slider plates from previous NP.
            Gulf pop top outback caravan.Solar panels, off road hitch, bayonet fitting for outside cooking & yamaha EF2000.

Comment

Our NS book has services at 15,000km intervals, however there are "optional" vouchers included for 7,500km oil changes. At delivery this was explained to us as recommended but not strictly compulsory. We will hit 7,500 next week and I have booked it in for an oil change.
              Like macguru I will probably take it to the local 4WD shop for oil changes after this first one. But I will get it done at 7,500km.
              At close to $80k for the car I figure a few more $$'s investment to provide increased peace of mind is worth it.
              I am interested in the theme of oil tests so it is off to a bit of research I will go.
              Rusty
              2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
              Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
              2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

A lot of vehicles these days have 1 yearly or 15,000 km services whichever comes first. The only difference on the DID engine is that an initial 7500 km run in service is needed, as I gather Mitsubishi figured that fine deposits from the new engine might react with (or deposit in) the oil quicker requiring a more rapid changeover of the first set of oil, and 7,500 km later at 15,000 kms and then every 15,000 km after that with no more 7500km services.

The Diesel engine in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee has service intervals of 20,000 km or 12 months, so 15,000 km for the common rail system here is not unusual. As mentioned in this post though, if you are concerned at the 22,500 km mark, then just do the oil change yourself, and don't take it to an overpriced Mitsubishi service yard, as your warranty and log books do not need to be signed off on, and you know that no completely unnecessary work will get done - just the oil change for your own peace of mind.

Both of my previous normal petrol cars were european (not 4WD) and each had 15,000 km or 12 month service intervals with their all alloy engines and although both of these cars only ever did 10,000 km per year, I only had the oil changed every 12 months with their log book services and I always used Mobil 1. I think some of these modern oils are quite capable of lasting the distance unless pushed really hard, and I see no problem with simply abiding by the manufacturers requirements. After all, Misubishi cover their engines for 10 years if you're the original owner of the car, so it is not really in their interest to be suggesting 12 month oil changes unless the engine / oil combo was up to the task, as they would be up to their eyeballs in drivetrain warranty claims. I understand the oil needed for the common rail DID is even more expensive than Mobil 1, so I would hope it was going to last.

If you go back to the days of my student car, when I would do my own services using $15 for 5L of Valvoline from Kmart for stock standard 20-50W rated oil on my old (really old) toyota - well, then yes - this probably would have seized the engine if I did not replace this every 6 months. I think there have been advances in oil technology as well as the engines the oil goes into.
                Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

When I traded the NP the logbook showed Dealer servicing every 15000km and no-one suggested that it was anything other than fully serviced.
                  Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

You will need to change the oil and filter every 7500km, this is because the oil get loaded up with all the products of combustion which degrades the oil, Deisel fuel is pritty dirty stuff, although its getting better, when the 10ppm sulphur fuel is finally here in 2009 we may be able to get a few more kms out of it

Comment

Here is MMA's written recommendation "To maintain efficiency and durability of your vehicle's engine, oil change intervals of 15,000km or 12 months are recommended for normal operating conditions"

"Frequent short runs, more than 50% of driving in heavy city traffic, prolonged idling or stop-start driving, sustained high-speed driving in temperatures above 32 degC, driving in dusty, sandy or salty conditions, continuous operation at higher than normal loading, e.g. towing can be considered as severe operating conditions . . .the following items should be performed more frequently . . . Engine Oil, Filter - replace very 7,500km"
                      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Another DPF approved oil is Castrol SLX Prof BMW LL04 PFLOW,
                        SLX 5W-30 ACEA A3/B3/C3 BMW LL04

That's what is stamped on the drum. At less than 10 bucks a litre, it's a bargain I say!

Full synthetic long drain oil co-engineered with BMW.

Comment

Certainly looks the goods:
                          http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/51...93_2006_09.pdf
                          NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X