bicycle Racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bicycle Racks

I am looking at buying a bike rack, I have a tow unit on the Paj but would like to have the kind of bike rack that clamps onto the Ball itself rather than have to pull it out every time and slide in the rack.

Has any one had any experience with buying a bike rack? What brands did people out there get that work with the sapre on and not having to pull out the tow ball slider.

Thanks
    Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Hey danc12,

I just did quite a bit of research in the bike carrier market for a long trip I recently undertook.

Thule make bike carriers that attach straight onto the ball. I believe they have two with this type of attachment. You may want to consider how tough these style of carriers are if you intending on taking them off road because in my opinion they appear a little lightly constructed...

One thing to keep in mind is the rack needs to clear the spare wheel, so you may need a longer hitch or an extender to achieve this.

Thule also have a model that attaches to rear mounted spare wheels. Not ideal with an NS as the cover will get in the way...

I ended up getting a new Mac Rac bike carrier that came with a tow bar extender for a very reasonable price directly from Mac Rac.

The bike hangs on the carrier and is fastened with rubber straps (much better than old style Mac Rac systems that clamped around top bar of bike), this accommodates virtually all styles of bikes and is very solid in terms of construction. However it is attached straight to the hitch (or tongue), essentially replacing the tow ball. So this may not be for you. This model is very new and is not even on the Mac Rac web site yet. It recently carried my bikes from Sydney to Hobart with no problems.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Ben

Comment

I've got the Thule one that attaches to the towbar ball - you will need an extender to get it out past the spare wheel. I had a mate weld one up for me, and it bolts under the existing towball, then has another towball on the end that the rack clamps to. Works well.
      NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

check out Goldcross Cycles if in melb (im not sure if they have extended out to other states).

last time i was there they had a huge range of bike racks. not sure on specifics but it could be a start. they are generally pretty reasonably priced too
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

I've got the one below from Q-Spear. It takes any shape of bike frame, so very suitable for mountainbikes and kids bikes. Clamps on the the ball.
          I did have to extend the tongue for it to fit.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Dan C
            Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

I've got a swagman XP3 from Rhino Rack. It will attach to the tow ball, but won't then clear the spare tyre. With the square hitch bottom attachment it will clear the spare tyre. The other advantage with the square hitch is that by using a locking pin no one can steal your rack. The bikes also lock to the rack as well. Can definitely recommend it. It is not recommended for off road use, although I don't know if any are.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...nt-_28_11.aspx

Comment

Spent a bit of time today trying to nut out how to mount my existing old bike rack onto the Paj.
                Mine is the type of rack that you have to bolt a mounting bracket to the tongue using the tow-ball itself. As most have said here, the upright part of the rack won't clear the spare tyre. So rightly or wrongly, I overcame that by moving the hitch tube out of the receiver by about 50mm (towards rear of car) and drilled an 8mm hole through the tube and used an 8mm bolt through where the hitch pin would normally go and also nipped up the anti-rattle bolt. So plenty strong enough to support a couple of treadlys on the back. All good now and it clears the spare tyre be about a 20mm. This particular bike rack is one I can fold down (if I take the bikes off) to give me access to rear door.
                I guess it may weaken the hitch tube ever so slightly with the extra (small hole) through the tube and it may be illegal, I don't know. Although, I can't see myself towing a 2500kg van in the near future. Also, I made the bolt hole much smaller than the hitch pin's 16mm dia, so somebody doesn't inadvertently put the hitch pin in the wrong (legal) hole, when I do eventually tow something.
                Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
                Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

I thought I'd do the right thing this time around, with a new vehicle and rego number, and display a proper number plate on the rear of the bike rack, rather than my (well made) homemade job. Not being sure where you'd even buy one, I started a little research on the legal requirements as well. See below....

Bike rack number plates.

If you have a bicycle rack attached to the back of your car, you may need a bicycle rack number plate.
                  A bicycle rack attached to a motor vehicle, and any bicycle on the rack, must not obscure the rear number plate of the vehicle. When attaching a bicycle rack to the rear of a vehicle, you can either:
                  • display a bicycle rack number plate on the rack
                  • take the rear number plate off the motor vehicle and attach it to the bicycle rack.

You must not display a standard number plate on both the rear of a motor vehicle and on a bicycle rack, or display home-made number plates.
                  Bicycle rack number plates have the same registration number as your motor vehicle and so cannot be used on any other vehicle.
                  Between sunset and sunrise or during periods of poor visibility, the number plate on the rack must be illuminated with a white light, making the number clearly visible from a distance of 20 metres. This light must not project light to the rear of the vehicle, other than reflected light.
                  When you are carrying bicycles on your rack, if the brake lights on the motor vehicle are not visible from a distance of 200 metres under normal weather conditions, you must attach an additional brake light to the rack, which is visible from 200 metres.

Now, this is for SA, but I've never seen to many illuminated, bike rack, number plates.
                  Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

I ended up buying a Thule 4 bike carrier. It slides into the standard MMA rack and bypasses the spare wheel. It also is hinged at the bottom, so can fold down (once the bikes are off) if you need to open the rear door. So not exactly what you are looking for, but there are options out there.

I ended up talking to a few bike shops and rack stores. The worst advice I got was from bike shops trying to sell me the racks they had in store, where as the owner of Roof Rack City in Castle Hill knew the right kit to get for me.

I also picked up a bike number plate, numberplate holder with lights. A few mates have been done by cops. It ends up cheaper getting the kit then a fine.

I use it weekly with no problems.

Comment

Thanks NS.
                      Hee hee, another thing I need to do is, get a 50mm suspension lift done ASAP.
                      Yesterday when I was mucking around fitting my bike rack on, I had backed my Paj into my garage to fit it, out of the weather. Now, I had to drive forward to get it out of the garage and try it out on the road. But because my driveway is so steep (uphill), I couldn't get it out without gouging a great hole into my garage floor, with my newly fitted bike rack, on the way out. Hmmmm??? It is steep though.
                      Last edited by Silver Streak; 10-05-11, 11:36 AM.
                      Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

Comment

As i already had a std Anaconda rack when i bought this car, i had a local bloke modify the mount to fit around the spare wheel.

Basically a piece of 10 x 70 x 200mm plate, welded along the 200mm edge & supported by a pair of 10 x 10mm pieces of bar

All done for a case of beer
                        Attached Files
                        07 NS VRX manual MM alloy bar, spot, spread and fogs. Tow pack & Hayman brake controller. Garmin GPS & Tomtom GO730. 17x8 ATX Ledge rims running Cooper AT3LT. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Lovell raised HD/Bilstein springs & shocks.

Comment

And if you don't have a mate with a welder this exact type of rack has two types of bases - one 'flat' and one 'curved' that extends past the spare tyre.

Another option is Thule. I have a hitch type from them and it clears the spare no probs, has a bolt to fix it in the sleeve AND folds down to access the boot. Well worth the price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by AGOR View Post
                            Another option is Thule. I have a hitch type from them and it clears the spare no probs, has a bolt to fix it in the sleeve AND folds down to access the boot. Well worth the price tag.
                            I have this one. If you want the model number, i can look it up tonight when i get home.

Comment

I reckon you have the same as I have used before. It is the 914XT Roadway(About $369). It also comes in a 5 bike which is 915XT (about $415)
                              Foxy

2010 NT Did Auto ACTiV. MM Tow Bar. ARB Bar, 50mm Raised Suspension, BFG A/T's, Tinted Windows, Red Arc remote head brake controller, Uniden UHF, Airtec Snorkel, Rhino Pioneer Basket, 81litre Long Range Tank (finally!!)

Bushskinz under body still to come one day.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X