Failed Rear Door Closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Rear Door Closer

Went to close my rear door the other day and the closer/opener at the bottom that keeps it open just disintegrated - broke in 2 near the elbow. Anyone else had this happen?
    Yellowfin
    NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
    Toyota LC200 TD V8
    - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

If this happened with a serious wind blowing or a semitrailer passing by, it could cause serious damage to the bodywork - or someone's body !
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

How so? Its on the inside of the door?

Its the apparatus that you push so it clicks and it keeps the rear door from closing he's talking about.....

Mine didn't work for a while after driving some heavy corrugations, wouldn't click to keep the door open, but fixed itself. Strange but true.
      NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

I've always thought it's a heavy door for such a light looking tube catch. I've been considering looking in to upgrading it to a gas strut setup and some sort of stay as living on the side of a hill makes for some close calls when it slams shut - i recon the weight may be an issue though?
        NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowfin View Post
          Went to close my rear door the other day and the closer/opener at the bottom that keeps it open just disintegrated - broke in 2 near the elbow. Anyone else had this happen?
          So do you mean the strut separated from the vehicle, or is that now it just won't hold the door open ?

On close inspection I noticed it is actually a pressurised gas strut, although I don't notice any damping or opening/closing force that you normally get from a gas strut ???
          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

No. It broke through the metal arm just short of the elbow on the car side which is covered by the black plastic tube and orange plastic "locking mechanism. So it was left with the metal arm attached to door dangling down and the other plastic covered part attached to the car just above the bumper(which proceeded to strach the 8 *** out of the top of the bumper).
            Anyway my guess is that the nuts holding the arms to the door were not tight enough or worked loose so that the arm attached to the door dropped a bit which changed the angle at the elbow so it was pushing down against the arm attached to the car when closing and locked up as a result - following me!!
            Either that or it's just a bad design...
            Cheers
            Yellowfin
            NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
            Toyota LC200 TD V8
            - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowfin View Post
              Either that or it's just a bad design...
              Cheers
              The arm that retained the Rear Door had very little change in design from 1983 to 2006 - it had its problems (damaged fingers !) but I never heard of one failing.

How old is you Pajero ?

Can you post a photo ?

Comment

the arm can 'lock'.. its a big door maybe it was closed when locked and just busted the arm? I say this because i nearly did this
                SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Just had a good look at mine and am astounded that there is actually a gas strut alreeady installed. It seems to do absolutely nothing in relation to opening or controlling the rear door.
                  NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Mike R
                    My car is an 03/07 build.I'll take some photos and work out how to post.
                    I like others am surprised there is a gas strut as I never noticed it and it certainly didn't do anything to regulate the opening or closing that I could notice.
                    Yellowfin
                    Toyota LC200 TD V8

Comment

Just to update on this. They replaced the broken door closer under warranty with a different type which seems a lot better design, stronger and works well. Maybe it's the type they are putting on later builds.
                      Anyway I am happy.
                      PS - We were told that Mitsubishi Northshore service centre business at Artarmon, Sydney has been sold to Hunter Holden which has it's centre at Chatswood - apparently all the staff are going across which is comforting!
                      Yellowfin
                      Toyota LC200 TD V8

Comment

With help from Pickle, finally think I worked out how to post pictures - here is the broken one and new one in locked and unlocked position. With new one, the gasket actually works and holds door when not fully opened at least on level ground.
                        Attached Files
                        Yellowfin
                        Toyota LC200 TD V8

Comment

My rear door strut has just developed the same jammed open/fail problem. I think the strut bends when the door is attempted to be closed when in the locked open mode. It's a weak design. The NS is in for repair today. Hoping for the same outcome as Yellowfin.
                          Steve (no sig yet, NS VRX DiD Family pack, Dec 06 build, 58k kms)
                          NS Dec06 VRX DiD FP

Comment

Same here, mine is being replaced tomorrow. 95% certain it was an attempted close when locked that bent the arm.
                            Jeff
                            Lightforce Blitz 170s

Adventure Grand Tourer offroad Campertrailer

Comment

Our NS door strut also failed in the open position some weeks ago. It wasn't an issue of me trying to close it in the locked open position but I was working in the back of the vehicle for some time with the door locked open on a slope that meant the strut was working all the time against the weight of the door.
                              Knox Mitsu replaced OK, altho they did want me to take it in so they could check for warranty-- the guy could not explain how I was to drive the vehicle 45 kms with the back door open.... Then they wanted me to drop the faulty part in, again so they could check for warranty and then decide if they would replace it, then they would order a new part (if accepted) then I would drive down again to have it fitted. We had a deep and meaningful (short and one sided) discussion after which they ordered a replacement which they duely fitted when it came in.
                              Rusty
                              2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
                              Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
                              2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X