275/70R17s on an NS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 275/70R17s on an NS?

Hi all, I am currently overseas in a place where tyres are dirt cheap. I can get Coopers STs but they are unable to get the 265/70R17 size I am after.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 275/70 size. It is an increase of 20mm radius over the placard size, and a 7mm increase over the 265/70 size. Any TC lock up or legal problems??

The radius is smaller than the 265/75 by about 7mm. I understand people with NPs have had torque converter lock-up problems with that size.
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

t/c does not care as it looks at "relative" wheel speeds etc

however your gearing will be taller and you will work a little harder around town, i went up around 5% in size on a previous 4x4 and notice the change in performance. there is a legal limit as the larger diameter you go the harder the brakes have to work too, more leverage?

there are plenty of tyre size calculator our there on the web

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

When I said "TC lock up" I meant "torque converter", not traction control.
      I'm aware of the tyre calculators, hence my previous post in which I stated the difference in radii between the sizes.
      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

I don't think you should have any problems with the motor or auto with these. It is only a 5% increase which is still within the legal boundries. There are plenty of people who go a whole lot bigger on other 4WD makes without a problem

The only problem you might have is with the width. It is possible it might rub guards or you may have to adjust your steering stops. It is usually the inside of the tyre at full lock which will rub.........................But someone has to be the guinea Pig!
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Well I actually had a look at transport SA regs regarding this. You can't increase the overall height of wheel and tyre by more than 15mm!!
          What a joke! That means in SA it is illegal to go to 265/70r17 if the placard says 265/65r17, which is a 29mm overall increase.

Comment

I wonder if that is going to change??? I know they are going to bring in a nation wide DOT's so that all the states are not different. I am in the middle of getting my Rangie Ute engineered and he has to engineer it to the new standard, not the existing one. In the new standard I am pretty sure you can increase tyre size by 5% without an engineers certificate.
            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
            1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

I believe that the following describes the current and proposed situation with regard to overall wheel/tyre diameter in South Australia.

In South Australia you can (currently) increase the overall wheel and tyre diameter on your vehicle by 15mm maximum compared to that noted on the vehicles tyre placard (see page 14 paragraph j of the Transport SA Information Bulletin 3). If you wish to exceed this you will need to seek engineering advice.

The National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP LVCM) has been prepared by members of the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board Working Party in consultation with industry, user groups, government agencies and individuals with an interest in light vehicle construction and modification.

The aim of the NCOP LVCM is to provide a nationally acceptable set of technical specification that ensure that the modification of production vehicles comply with the applicable requirements of the Australian Design Rules and Australian Vehicle Standards Rules (1999).

Of interest to 4WD owners will be Section LS of the NCOP LVCM
              http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Suspension
              _and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

which deals in detail with tyres, rims, suspension and
              steering modifications. Section LS allows for (with certain restrictions) an overall increase of wheel and tyre diameter on your off-road vehicle of 50mm compared to that noted on the vehicles tyre placard.

So what about the difference between the NCOP LVCM guidelines and the current Transport SA guidelines with regard to tyre and wheel combinations?
              I have been advised by Vehicle Services, Transport SA that with the relevant Ministers permission the NCOP LVCM will be introduced into legislation in South Australia within the next 6 months.

Comment

Thanks for those links, they can be hard to find.

Other interesting regs which are in now or are coming in are:

Maximum total lift (including rims, tyres, spring lift and body lift) of 150mm.

Maximum total engineered tyres size of 33"
                thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X