Side mirror - unbreakable!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side mirror - unbreakable!?

I was driving today at about 110km and a bird didn't get out of the way fast enough, hitting the drivers side mirror. The force of the hit made the mirror section fall out.

I turned around to recover the bits, BUT was very pleasently surprised to find that apart from a couple of scratches it was fine. Popped it back on, and away I went. These mirrors seem to be unbreakable!! (Although if someone had driven over it, I don't think it would have survived).

Anyway, a good news story that I thought I'd share.

Mike
    NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Good news? I wonder if the bird agrees?

It can be dangerous though trying to dodge things.
    A B Double crashed on the hume near Albury last week trying to avoid a kangaraoo (or so he said).
    Couldn't have had much faith in his bull bar.
    Geekay
    SWB R DiD

Comment

Hi Geekay, I'm not sure whether the bird would agree or not - I didn't have time to ask!! But when i went back I did have a quick look around and didn't see it, so maybe it was lucky.

I live in country NWNSW where flocks of birds are common, and so are bird strikes - especially galahs or cuckatoos. I always slow down and sound the horn for flocks of galahs or cuckatoos eating seed off the road. They can be a bit sluggish getting out of the way. (Sometimes its an absolute massacre when trucks drive through them). However, this was only a few coughs (curawong type birds) and they are quite nimble and usually get out of the way quickly. On this occasion I had sounded the horn, and was surprised that they didn't get out of the way. It really is impractical to slow down for every bird you see at the side of the road as they mostly stay out of the way. The reality is when you drive long distances on these roads every day you are going to unfortunately hit one at some point. Roos and stock on the road are a different matter, and you really need to slow down if they are about, the problem is with roos even at slower speeds they can jump out of nowhere.

Whilst it is best to do what you can to avoid wildlife, I agree that turning dangerously is not a good idea.

Smartbar getting fitted next week to protect the vehicle in the instance I do hit a roo, and driving lights for better night vision. So looking forward to that, but still have to be careful.

mike
      NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by mikens View Post
        I always slow down and sound the horn for flocks of galahs or cuckatoos eating seed off the road.
        I always sound the horn when I see birds near the road after a friends experience. A wedge-tail eagle was feeding by the roadside and took off very late - it destroyed a mudguard mounted mirror and left such deep gouge marks in the windscreen that it had to be replaced.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

When the birds have their belly full of whatever they are eating (dead road kill, etc) they are definitely going to be slow to take off.

A bit like how an A380 will be slow to take off compared to a 737-400.

Talking about birds, the first commercial A380 flight for Singapore Airlines is landing in Sydney at 5:30PM today!

Comment

You can actually break them, I've broken one but it involved a cricket ball. Not cheap either, $90 just for the mirror bit.

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
              $90 just for the mirror bit.
              We should be thankful you can buy just the mirror bit. I sure there are some makes where you have to buy the complete assembly !
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X