HELP! Mystery Oil Leak NT 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Mystery Oil Leak NT 2010

My trusty 2010 NT which has served us beautifully left us a surprise oil patch on the driveway a week back on the drivers side. The blue circle in the picture is where the wheel stops and you can see the oil on the driveway right where the wishbone is.

Vehicle is 3.2 DiD auto 212km.

Inspecting the underside of the car, the oil had dripped from the lower wishbone.

The oil is a pale yellow colour and clean, it is not black engine oil.

I am suspecting the front shock absorber but I can't see where the oil is coming from. Both front shock have a thin film of oil all over them and ride height is 490mm from centre hub to bottom of guard which I understand is normal ride height.

Car is driving and handling normally, and it doesn't seem to be leaking any more.

I'm completely stumped what it can be - i took the tyre off the inspected but cannot find the source of the issue.

Appreciate help from any gurus what to look for and check try to diagnose the issue.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alandavis; 3 weeks ago.

Not much of a suggestion, (I'm not a guru)

Maybe take the wheel off and wipe the shocker as clean as you can. Check it again fairly regularly and if it's leaking, you should be able to see oil buildup.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, ultragauge, more to come...

Comment

Unsure what colour shocker oil is, but yellow sounds odd.

Have you checked your brake fluid level (& colour)? Also check power steer fluid.
      Pajero NX MY16 GLS

Comment

Logic thinking i like to apply, if the Chrome rod of your strut has thin film of oil on it, i suggest it came out of the strut.

A thin film of oil all over your struts, both of them, it's not engine oil, would have to be a hell of a diff leak & tranny can't leak onto both struts, power steering dry components, full resevoir & highly unlikely to leak onto both struts only.
        CV boots intack, wheel bearing area dry.

Therefore i conclude, your struts are knackered .

The only oily bit being the strut & directly below the strut, i would say he's your man, main suspect as to the culprit.

Stick your finger in the lower spring seat & wipe it around?
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Turns out to be front shocks. $1280 @ MM for the pair!!

Comment

Originally posted by alandavis View Post
            Yikes!!!!

I hope you walked.

Comment

Ouch! How many kms on your Pajero?

Comment

Time to upgrade your shocks. Our Koni’s on the NP go well

Cheers

Bennie
                2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

Ha, what a joke. You could put actual decent shocks all round and have hundreds left over for that price. Run don’t walk from the dealer.
                  2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                  MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X