No announcement yet.

Flat roof rack on standard roof rails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat roof rack on standard roof rails?

Is this doable?
    Not recommended?

I didn't want to go to the hassle of removing my roof rails etc.. (unless someone can recommend a complete job? Melbourne ?)

Thoughts...?

Thanks!

You mean like this ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0803.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.3 KB ID:	1108221

It's a Pioneer roof tray which comes with inset bars and fits on the standard roof rails.
    Last edited by Ian H; 1 week ago.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Rola Titan but you will need roof bars, not sure if that's required with the Pioneer.

Comment

Roof racks and trays can weigh from 15kg to 45kg and this weigh must be taken into consideration as it is included in the roof payload.
        First up list and weigh all the items you want to carry on the roof and that will indicated what size rack you need and what weight capacity.
        If you are going off the bitumen then a rack that clamps directly to the factory roof rails should be light and have 6 clamp points and then limit the total weight to between 60kg and 80kg including the rood rack.
        New prices start at $1000 and quickly increase as does the weight as they become more complex and have more features.
        Once you know the size and style you want, and if you are not in a hurry then secondhand units come up for sale reasonably regularly, but if you have to buy the grab feet to suit the rack then the price on a secondhand roof rack soon blows out.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

sharkcaver , I think you experimented with security screen door(s) as an improvised rack, a long while ago.
          Did that work ok as an interim measure?
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

You could replace the original rails with the Ocam steel ones. Only takes 2 hours or so, their flat racks are also a great deal. Aluminium, sit nice and flush.

Comment

I have a pajero np with Rola Titan flat roof tray which fits directly to the roof rails using their low profile mounting kit. Has no cross bars. Works a treat. Have been camping with tent and rhino luggage bag. Also went camping with tent luggage and two kayaks. Can stand on it with gear no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mikel22 View Post
                I have a pajero np with Rola Titan flat roof tray which fits directly to the roof rails using their low profile mounting kit. Has no cross bars. Works a treat. Have been camping with tent and rhino luggage bag. Also went camping with tent luggage and two kayaks. Can stand on it with gear no problems.
                I have this set up as well, but not yet fitted or tested. Titan roof platform was on special at SuperCheap for a bit more than $400, but I had to search around for a good price on the low profile mounting system (to standard roof rails).

Total weight of the system is under 25kg for the 1800 x 1200 size. Platform is rated to 300kg and so can be stood on, unfortunately that isn't the Pajero's roof carrying capacity which is under 80KG off road unless a "spine mount" system is used.
                NX 2016 GLX 3.2lt Diesel 5sp Auto
                Tow 'n explore unit

Comment

Originally posted by hartski View Post
                  You could replace the original rails with the Ocam steel ones. Only takes 2 hours or so, their flat racks are also a great deal. Aluminium, sit nice and flush.
                  That sounds like a better choice for rails.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X