Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyres, I know topic has been visited a 1000 times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres, I know topic has been visited a 1000 times.

Hi everyone,
    About to fit a full set of A/T tyres to my 2010 GLS. Standard size is 265/65R17, I'm after any positive or negative feedback on anyone that has fitted 265/70R17?
    My suspension is standard +25mm.
    I suspect it will be closer to speedo correction but unsure of rubbing etc.
    Any views very welcome.
    Thanks in advance for your views.
    Jeff
    NT GLS 3.2lt Diesel 5sp Auto (with M&M AutoMate) https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif, Ultra Gauge MX, ARB Steel Winch Bar, Narva Driving Lights, Front LED Lightbar, Solar Panels, Uniden CB, 270 Awning, Donaldson Diesel Post-Filter, 3" Outback Exhaust, Toyo Open Country AT2, Boos Bash Plates.https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ies/tongue.png

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people.

Hi Jeff,

This is a Plus 1 size and is a very common fit to Gen 4's, depending on the actual tyre brand and model and if you have a spare wheel lift kit fitted, you may need to trim some plastic off the spare tyre cover. You will also need 5 tyres because the spare tyre needs to be the same size and preferably the same tread pattern and construction as the other tyres. Do a 5 tyre rotation and your tyres will last longer and you will always have a correct size, construction and tread pattern spare to use. Many people only do 4 tyre rotations and the spare is never used, but ends up being thrown away, or should be thrown away because it is the wrong size, construction or tread pattern and has aged hardened!

You may need to adjust Auto Mate up a setting or 2 if you find the TC locking up at too lower rpm and is causing harmonics.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks OJ
      Maybe a set of 275/65R17 may be a closer option to std.
      Reagards
      Jeff
      NT GLS 3.2lt Diesel 5sp Auto (with M&M AutoMate) https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif, Ultra Gauge MX, ARB Steel Winch Bar, Narva Driving Lights, Front LED Lightbar, Solar Panels, Uniden CB, 270 Awning, Donaldson Diesel Post-Filter, 3" Outback Exhaust, Toyo Open Country AT2, Boos Bash Plates.https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ies/tongue.png

Comment

Hi Jeff,

275/65R17 are 790mm diameter and 265/70R17 are 803mm in diameter. Factory tyres are 777mm for 265/65R17 and 775mm diameter for 265/60R18.
        275/65R17 are 10mm wider so depending on the tyre brand and model they may or may not fit the spare tyre carrier.
        275/65R17 is not a very common size outside the metro and larger regional areas whereas 265/70R17 is now quite readily available.
        There is a smaller range of tyres to choose from in 275/65R17 than 265/70R17.
        There is no real benefit in running a 275 wide tyre instead of a 265 wide tyre in my opinion.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Looks like 265/65R17 is the way to go.
          Thanks

Comment

Hey old Jack - what is your view on going *down* a tyre size from factory to lower the overall gearing? (I searched the forum for "smaller tyres" but I guess this is not a popular topic)

This is not exactly the OP's question so sorry for the hijack - but in a 2017+ NX with the taller (+6%) gearing is it viable to replace the 265/65/17's with a smaller tyre? For example a 255/60/17 would reduce the diameter from approx. 777 to 737 which reduces the circumference from approx. 2438 to 2316 - which is a 5.1% decrease - which would effectively offset the taller gearing. A quick scan found only HT tyres in this 255/60/17 size so this obviously won't work if you were after smaller AT (or MT!?!) tyres in this size. IIRC you've posted on going down tyre sizes over the years and "bigger doesn't necessarily mean better" but I'm wondering about the overall handling and if there's any safety issues (assuming the same 112S load and speed rating is used)? Aside from less sidewall protection, a slightly narrower tread width and less ground clearance - what are the downsides in your view?

Thanks
            Last edited by DeeTee; 1 week ago. Reason: correct load and speed rating
            NX GLX, Auto-mate Pro, Nudge bar, Stedi Light Bar, Vortex Racks, Sandgrabbas, Nautia Pocket, GotyaCovered and Wheelskins Covers, Konis, Aux Lithium Battery & Solar Panel, Kaon Table, Custom Rear, Less NVH than Factory

Comment

Originally posted by DeeTee View Post
              Hey old Jack - what is your view on going *down* a tyre size from factory to lower the overall gearing? (I searched the forum for "smaller tyres" but I guess this is not a popular topic)

This is not exactly the OP's question so sorry for the hijack - but in a 2017+ NX with the taller (+6%) gearing is it viable to replace the 265/65/17's with a smaller tyre? For example a 255/60/17 would reduce the diameter from approx. 777 to 737 which reduces the circumference from approx. 2438 to 2316 - which is a 5.1% decrease - which would effectively offset the taller gearing. A quick scan found only HT tyres in this 255/60/17 size so this obviously won't work if you were after smaller AT (or MT!?!) tyres in this size. IIRC you've posted on going down tyre sizes over the years and "bigger doesn't necessarily mean better" but I'm wondering about the overall handling and if there's any safety issues (assuming the same 106 load and speed rating is used)? Aside from less sidewall protection, a slightly narrower tread width and less ground clearance - what are the downsides in your view?

Thanks
              This is not allowed most of the time. Each tyre has a load rating. The tyre placard on your car stipulates minimum load rating. Smaller diameter tyres will typically have lower load rating.

A typical 265/60R18 tyre has load index of 110 whereas a 265/55R18 tyre has a load index of 106.
              Please call me Vlad.
              -----------------------
              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Thanks Vlad. You're right - the standard tyres are 112S rated. Assuming I can get 112S or better rated tyres in a smaller circumference.
                NX GLX, Auto-mate Pro, Nudge bar, Stedi Light Bar, Vortex Racks, Sandgrabbas, Nautia Pocket, GotyaCovered and Wheelskins Covers, Konis, Aux Lithium Battery & Solar Panel, Kaon Table, Custom Rear, Less NVH than Factory

Comment

Originally posted by DeeTee View Post
                  Thanks Vlad. You're right - the standard tyres are 112S rated. Assuming I can get 112S or better rated tyres in a smaller circumference.
                  DeeTee also consider tyre availability depending on where you plan to travel to. If you travel remote, you may find that uncommon tyre sizes are not available in smaller towns. You could compensate by carrying 2 spares?
                  NT Pajero RX auto 5 door. Nudge bar, LED light bar, ProVent catch can, EGR resistor mod, dual battery, 265/65/18 Cooper ATT. Joying Android Head unit with TPMS, Dash Cam, and TorquePro via OBD2 . Alpine amps, infinity splits and sub, sound deadening in doors. Scanguage. GME UHF with 2.1db antenna. Clear view tow mirrors. Rubber floor/mud mats. Led interior lights and brake/tail & reverse lights. EVC Throttle Controller, Race Chip RS with Bluetooth control. AutoMate Pro.

Comment

DeeTee chip it
                    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

Thanks Mark. Good point. For a remote trip I'd want LT tyres in a common size and two spares.

There doesn't seem to be too many 112 or higher load rated tyres in a smaller size anyhow. The NSW VSI regs sate "All replacement tyres must have a load rating equal to or higher than the rating of the original tyres fitted by the vehicle manufacturer." I guess this answers the question.

Comment

Not sure where the topic went array but at no time did I suggest a smaller diameter tyre from standard fitment.
                        Have settled for a set oy Toyo Open Country ATs LT265/65R17 120R

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X