Caravan Rear Camera to MMCS Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caravan Rear Camera to MMCS Screen

I wanted to feed the video from the camera on the rear of my caravan into the MMCS, but if you use the AUX input the picture disappears at the first hint of any forward motion. While waiting for Nathan to come up with a software solution (this thread: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9440) I thought I'd try a hardware method.

As the reversing camera is the only video that stays on when the car is moving, what I've done is trick the MMCS into thinking the car is in reverse, then feeding the caravan camera video instead of the reversing camera video. See the circuit diagram below. When the switch is in the 'reverse' position everything acts as normal (reverse camera comes on when reverse is selected). When the switch is moved to the 'camera' position, pin 13 of the J701 plug of the MMCS (reverse detect) is pulled high, pins 5 and 16 (video input) are switched to the caravan camera and power is switched to the caravan camera receiver (mine is a wireless camera). Very simple: all you need is a 4 pole double throw switch, a few bits of shielded wire, three wires to the J701 plug cut, and a bit of soldering.

Three things to be aware of:
    1. The camera must have NTSC video (can't change to PAL like with the AUX input)
    2. You still get the 'Check surroundings before backing up' message on the bottom of the screen.
    3. The Satnav gets lost while the camera is on and takes about 30 seconds to reposition.
    Attached Files

Great stuff Robbo

I don't have the MMCS in the RX model but noticed the plug/wiring for the rear camera is in possion behind the spare wheel cover, I was wondering if this could be ued to wire an after market camera system, like the Polaris or similar, I want to hook up a twin system, eg car and van.
    09 NT Di-D Auto RX
    2014 Golden Eagle Escape in tow

"LOVE'N THAT CAR"

Comment

Hi Robbo69,

Well done! Great idea.

We went with a Safety Dave extra screen/camera with our van. Just connect up on the dash and between van and Paj when vanning. Great picture and has sound too. They are a valuble addition when towing and reversing the van.

Good one.

Cheers,
      Sally (also 69!)
      SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

try swtching only the yellow vision signal wire and connect the earth and 12v power to direct sources . might work ive done this on a three camera install might stop the delay
        2010 NT ACTIV PAJERO MANUAL DIESEL / factory diff lock / factory tow pack / ARB dual batt tray / twin cobra batts / Redarc BCDC 1220 battery isolator / Autowatch alarm upgrade with window closure / 35 Watt HID fog light upgrade / 35 Watt low beam upgrade / 55 Watt HID high beam upgrade / colour coded front grille / K&N filter / 3 inch Manta exhaust / electronic rust unit / 50 Watt HID lightforce xgt spotlights / BF Goodrich Tyres / front and rear custom diff breathers

Comment

Robbo69,

I'm interested in doing something similar. What brand of camera did you use and where did you purchase it? Being wireless does it have enough output power to give a good error free picture?

Cheers,

Tim51
          2010 NT Activ 3.2 Diesel Auto White.
          OME Deluxe Bar, OME Sports Suspension, LR Aux Tank, 2xBushSkinz, MM Tow kit, ClearView Tow Mirrors, Scotts Rods 3" Exhaust, Mickey Thompson ATZ Rubber, Spare Tyre Lifter, Nite Stalker Driving Lights, Body Protection Kit, GME TX3340 UHF, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ultra Gauge EM, Dual Batt & Redarc Isolator, Thule X'bars, Front & Rear Wet Seat neoprene covers, Black Sandgrabber mats. OzHummer's MMCS overide & iPod kit.... So far....

Comment

Originally posted by tim51 View Post
            Robbo69,

I'm interested in doing something similar. What brand of camera did you use and where did you purchase it? Being wireless does it have enough output power to give a good error free picture?

Cheers,

Tim51
            I bought the camera on US Ebay (see http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-IR-Nigh...item4aa2903555 ). I have the transmitter at the far rear of the caravan and the receiver behind the dash in the MMCS area. It is only just powerful enough and I do get some dropouts (great picture about 50% of the time and snowy the rest). There are quite long leads on the transmitter and receiver and I am going to try moving the receiver to the rear door area of the Paj and the transmitter closer to the front of the van to see if that improves the signal. Brilliant (and much safer) when it's working and wouldn't use the van without it.

Comment

Thanks. I have found another camera on ebay costs about US $67 looks like it may be the go.
              OME Deluxe Bar, OME Sports Suspension, LR Aux Tank, 2xBushSkinz, MM Tow kit, ClearView Tow Mirrors, Scotts Rods 3" Exhaust, Mickey Thompson ATZ Rubber, Spare Tyre Lifter, Nite Stalker Driving Lights, Body Protection Kit, GME TX3340 UHF, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ultra Gauge EM, Dual Batt & Redarc Isolator, Thule X'bars, Front & Rear Wet Seat neoprene covers, Black Sandgrabber mats. OzHummer's MMCS overide & iPod kit.... So far....

Comment

Thanks. I have found another camera on ebay costs about US $67 looks like it may be the go.
                Make sure it's NTSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbo69 View Post
                  ..... It is only just powerful enough and I do get some dropouts (great picture about 50% of the time and snowy the rest) ....
                  Discovered the reason for the iffy reception was that the (aluminium) venetian blinds on the caravan's front window were down. Hoisted them up and now has 100% reception. Obviously the blinds were blocking most of the signal.

Comment

I might purchase the cheaper camera $30 and give it a try, my van is only 16ft and doesn't have venetians.
                    Thanks.

Comment

I'm sorry to hijack your thread but I thought someone here might be able to tell me:

What are the pins on the stock reverse parking camera?
                      Can someone share that info with me or show me where the stock reverse parking camera plugs into?
                      --
                      Mitsubishi CJ 2008 Lancer - Olympic Edition
                      ClubCJ.net's Chief Buyer & Snr Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by ofey View Post
                        Can someone share that info with me or show me where the stock reverse parking camera plugs into?
                        One the NT open the spare wheel cover, you should find the plug just in the centre top of the cover there's a small plastic cover that pops out where the camera goes though the cover.
                        09 NT Di-D Auto RX
                        2014 Golden Eagle Escape in tow

"LOVE'N THAT CAR"

Comment

Hi Robbo

I found this post on reversing cams and am interested in doing something simalar. just a question re your mods.

when you switch over from the standard reverse cam in the Paj to your wireless van one, is it on all the time or only when reverese is selected via gear selector ?and then you can additionally overide that to have the cam on all the time? i guess is that a three postion switch then?

I could see times when it would be handy to see behind whilst travelling as well.
                          Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                          MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                          99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

Originally posted by achjimmy View Post
                            Hi Robbo

I found this post on reversing cams and am interested in doing something simalar. just a question re your mods.

when you switch over from the standard reverse cam in the Paj to your wireless van one, is it on all the time or only when reverese is selected via gear selector ?and then you can additionally overide that to have the cam on all the time? i guess is that a three postion switch then?

I could see times when it would be handy to see behind whilst travelling as well.
                            When the switch is on 'reverse' the reversing camera acts as normal (ie no vision from caravan camera - only the Paj's reversing camera). When the switch is on 'camera' the feed from the rear view camera at the back of the caravan is on the MMCS screen all the time (doesn't matter which gear is selected).

Just for your interest I've given away the wireless bit (found I was getting too much interference from Bluetooth) and have hardwired the camera to the switch through the 12-pin trailer plug at the towbar.

Comment

12pin are you using spare pins on a standard type flat trailer plug?

So I guess if you configured a 3 way switch you could conceivably have

1 normal paj revising cam operation
                              2 van cam on whilst in reverse
                              3 van cam on all the time?
                              Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                              MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                              99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X