Intercooler upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler upgrade

Finally made it back from my 6 day norwest trip today to find my intercooler had arrived. Unfortunately I did not have the time to fit it up before I left (as it hadn't arrived).

Here's two pics of it. It's a 600mm x 300mm x 65mm core, my own design.

I'll post pics up during the install and report back on performance.

Jason.

Front of intercooler

Rear of intercooler

Last edited by NT GLS; 16-04-12, 01:34 AM.
    09/09 NT GLS DiD Automatic in Ironbark - Sold
    2015 Ford Territory Titanium diesel RWD
    2012 Ford Ranger PX XL 3.2 Auto

Oh yeah that looks great, Can't wait to hear how it goes.
    Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
    MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
    99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

Originally posted by achjimmy View Post
      Oh yeah that looks great, Can't wait to hear how it goes.
      x2
      2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

Likewise; plus piictures of it fitted; plus details of the design, who made it and what it cost.
        Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

Been waiting for this ....

Ive had the grill out of mine 3 times lookin at where i can feed a pipe through each side of the radiator.
          Seems very cramped on the drivers side at the front of the motor..

Just dying to see how this comes out..

We want to see the pics..

All the best..
          Angry.

My Photo site.
          AAA-Photography.smugmug.com

07 NS VRX, DID Auto, Nudge Bar, 130W 215 Nitghtstalkers, 50w HID H/Beams, Kenwood Touchscreen Natsav/DVD/CD/Rev camera, Rear Alpine DVD Player, Recaro Orthopedic drivers seat, DIY Spare Wheel Lift.

Comment

Very interested in this Mod....
            2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc

Comment

Originally posted by AJC View Post
              Likewise; plus piictures of it fitted; plus details of the design, who made it and what it cost.
              ASE Turbo in Adelaide fabricated it, I've dealt with Dave when I wanted custom intercoolers fabricated for my XR6 Turbo and FPV F6 sedans I've owned in the past.

Cost was $880 inc GST and inclusive of 10 silicon bends (5 x 45 degree bends, 5 x 90 degree bends).

Pic's hopefully coming tomorrow afternoon. I need to arrange industrial hose clamps prior to starting the installation.

Jason.

Comment

Do you have a way to measure boost and intake temp after it's installed?
                MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
                  Do you have a way to measure boost and intake temp after it's installed?
                  I have a boost gauge and will use a digital thermometer to measure discharge and intake temps.

Comment

Got the install finished today, took a lot longer than I anticipated due to the complex routing of the hot side pipe work. Luckily I ordered 45 and 90 degree silicon elbows and 500mm of 63mm alloy straight pipe, and at least a dozen hose clamps!

The hot side piping needed to be routed underneath the radiator, clear the trans cooler lines, squeeze between the chassis and sway bar and then back to the inlet on the intercooler. I had to shorten the intake on the intercooler to stop it from clashing with the radiator support panel. Guess I didn't measure the gaps well enough....oh well.

After popping almost all the solicon hoses off the alloy sections I cut I removed them all and flared the ends to stop the hoses from slipping off under boost. From memory the NT runs around 1.3-1.5 bar boost, thus places a lot of pressure on the hoses and clamps.

Took it for a run tonight to test how the intercooler performs. The first noticable change is a bit more lag when applying throttle. I attribute this to the larger volume of the intercooler and the longer charge route.

Sitting at 110km/h EGT's are a constant 340-350 deg C, down from around 380-390. Full throttle with converter locked in 5th gear saw a peak of only 470, a significant drop from 550-560 I could reach before. Where as before the Paj would take a long stretch of road to reach a ton in the old language it does it effortlessly now. The performance increase is significant to say the least. No heat soak, the Paj now just pulls and pulls and pulls. I had to get off the throttle as the speeds it's now capable of are rediculous.

I measured the temps on both sides of the intercooler end tanks with a digital thermometer - hot side was 85c, cold side was 32c. This was after sitting on 115km/h for around 5 minutes. I'll need a scan gauge to measure IAT's correctly, but sufficient to say the hot side was too hot to touch where as the cold side was....cold!

I'll take some pics of the install tommorow.
                    Last edited by NT GLS; 16-04-12, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Sounds great NT
                      Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                      99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

Sounds promising.

FWIW I find my scangauge shows intake temp sits around 25degC higher than the temp shown on the trip computer at suburban speeds. If sitting in stop start traffic it's often 30-35degC higher. Cold mornings might be only 10 - 15degC higher.
                        MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                        Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

Pics as promised

I dropped the numberplate to allow more airflow to the cooler.

Drove to Rockingham and back today (around 80km round trip) and the most noticeable difference and improvement is a reduction in fuel consumption. Estimate around 1.0l/100km difference according to the display.

Another noticeable difference is the EGT when I pull up at traffic lights or come home is the lower reading. Where as it would sit on 260 to 280 c it now is sitting on 220-230 c, meaning a shorter idle down time before I shut the engine off.

So far this mod is far better than the exhaust change.

Comment

Cheers for all the detail. Sounds liek a great mod.

Reminds me to remove mine and gibe it a good long soak in degreaser!
                            Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

Won't get a lot of air on a ARB deluxe with winch! Custom intakes I think.
                              Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                              99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X