Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First 4x4 and choose the Pajero... little help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 4x4 and choose the Pajero... little help :)

Hi Guys,

My first post Been driving in a Commodore Wagon for years and want to upgrade to a 4x4 for getting to my fishing/surf sports and camping. I was originally looking at the ute's (Colorado/Triton) etc as they are a bit cheaper but after coming across the NT Pajero's they seem the way to go...

So what I ask is I only have a budget of $30k which narrows down my choices greatly. But in Perth a few really low KM Pajero's NT are coming up at around $30k bracket such as below. I am willing to bet there ex mining/rural lease cars or similar but with such low KM is there much to worry about? My other concern is there is no Mitsubishi Warranty on them...

2011 Mitsubishi Pajero NT GL 5D S/Wagon

3.2L, Turbo, Diesel, 5spd Manual, Four Wheel Drive, White, 26,323 KM, 1DQP244 3.2L, Turbo, Diesel, 5spd Manual, Four Wheel Drive, White, 26,323 KM, 1DQP244 Perth Int'l Airport, Western Australia
    2011 NT Diesel 35k Manual, EGR plate with hole, Diesel Chip

Welcome to the forum

You'll probably find that is an ex rental, possibly Avis, you can tell if the last owner was WTH thats the Avis rego.

Is that a problem, it depends on your feelings, I bought an ex rental and had a mechanical check first, the only problem he found was it had recently had a wheel alignment other than that it was like new, best Pajero I have ever owned.

I don't know who told you there is no Mitsubishi warranty, I have one. The only thing I don't have is fixed price servicing, Diamond advantage.

Get a proper mechanical check and go from there is my advice.
    This is the guy I used I went for the maximum report.He is ex RAC

http://www.autospections.com.au/
    2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

Another little trick
      If you want to see where it has been remove the rear caps where the 3rd seat goes and see what type of dust is in there.
      Detailers seem to forget to clean these out
      2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

I bought my NS last year had 130k. Most of which were country Km's.
        I am the third owner.

$30,000

Prices have come down a fair bit since then, but have never looked back, soo comfy compared to cruisers etc. the GF has no trouble driving it and parking it.

If you do buy one and as you say you'll be using for beach driving and what not, put a 2inch lift in it straight away. They belly out in the sand way too easy.
        Then put 32" tyres.
        I've been 4x4ing since I was a kid with the old man and I'm amazed at where I can go with the Paj

Michael.
        NS DiD vrx- 265-75/16 general grabbers, dpf removed, 16x8 2 piece mags, custom ultra low roof rack, snatch strap rack, 2 piece- bullbar to transfer bash plate, HID headlights high beams and spotties, bilstein lovell lift, airtec snorkle, dual battery, donaldson diesel pre filter, egr block, backseat footwell 45ltr water tank, 2xjerry can rear bar.

Todo- rock sliders, rear diff bash plate, drawer system.

Comment

I bought a used ex Avis car and so far haven't had an issue apart from the dust the detainers missed.

Comment

The good thing about rental cars is that they usually get serviced religiously. I bought an ex rental Mazda 323 with high kms about 20 years ago, and it ran immaculately. I compared it to others with lower km and it ran better than the equivalent cars. Because of the high km the paint work was a bit rougher though. At the end of the day most cars are pretty reliable now as long as they're serviced properly.

Just as a side note on that vehicle, it's a GL so the very bottom of the range. If you can spend just a little bit more you might get into a GLX which will have a few more refinements about it. Depends if you want that or not.

There was a few NT GLXs around the high 20s mark but they all seem to have gone now and bizarrely I'd say the prices are higher than they were 6 months ago for a NT!

This one is a private sale so might be a bit more negotiable than a dealer
            http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=7&sdmvc=1

You didn't mention it but just in case you consider looking at the NS, I'd say it's worth spending the extra money to get the NT. Much quieter inside the cabin and they sorted out the few issues they had with the first generation common rail engine.
            2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

My previous Pajero, a 2010 NT was an Ex mine car. Easy to pick- lower doors sandblasted due to no side steps, and the plastic in the rear was qute badly marked.
              But it had 23000km when I go it and 45000km when I sold it. Would have happily kept it another 3 years, except we liked it so much we decided to treat outselves to a new one.
              Only had 2 issues- both fixed under warrenty- Clutch at 38000km , and Starter motor at 45000km.
              What am I saying?- The Pajero is a tough beast, and even ex-mine they are OK, I enquired and found the lease company that originally owned it and he said " they are well serviced- often every 5000km, and roughly treated". Ex rental the service history could be suspect as he said if its not complete they just fill it in when they sell the car.
              2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

Thanks for the advise everyone. Here is what I am thinking and let me know your thoughts.

Suspension - As mentioned a lift will be in order. Bilsteins & Lovells 2" lift with bashplate Thanks to the forums for help with this.

Tyres - I think the stock Pajero is a bit of a family car for a bloke in there 20's.... So I do want to make it a bit cooler looking. I will be purchasing 4x new rims and tyres. What rim size do you guys recommend? I want a rim where some nice big tyres (mainly 4x4 will be sand) can fit and really keen for some that give me that bit of extra height. Suggestions?

Warranty you guys are correct. Even if auction/ex fleet/mining they do appear to still have warranty which is awesome. Does anyone know how strict they are with the logbook?
                2011 NT Diesel 35k Manual, EGR plate with hole, Diesel Chip

Comment

Dont buy a EX rental that I have driven

Comment

[QUOTE=messmorph;332751]Thanks for the advise everyone. Here is what I am thinking and let me know your thoughts.

Tyres - I think the stock Pajero is a bit of a family car for a bloke in there 20's.... So I do want to make it a bit cooler looking. I will be purchasing 4x new rims and tyres. What rim size do you guys recommend? I want a rim where some nice big tyres (mainly 4x4 will be sand) can fit and really keen for some that give me that bit of extra height. Suggestions?

Pajero rims are a bit of a problem, 2 issues- thay have a lot of offset-46mm, and the front brake calipers usually hit on the wheels.
                    Best option is 8 x 17 with a 34mm off set, a 22mm increase in track, which I think is allowable in all states.
                    You will need to try anything you are thinkinging of buying first to check the brake caliper clearence.
                    Tyre size I believe 275-70-17 (41mm increase in dia) or 285-65-17 (26mm increase in dia) is as large as you can go without clearence issues, you would also need to check if this size is legal as far as increase in overall diameter in your state. I have heard of 285-70-17 being used with "slight rubbing", but at 54mm increase in diameter I dont think its legal in any state.
                    Here is a link theat helps with tyre size. http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mitsubishi/pajero/2012/
                    2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X