X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBDII transmitter

Everyone

I know we have discussed this a lot.

However time moves on and I want to know if it is still necessary to shell out the $200 to get the "OBDLink MX Bluetooth OBD II".

The major attraction is the hacking protection and the non-battery drain function.

Do any of the cheaper ones do this now?

Is their performance acceptable?

Regards
    Doug

I use this one with my Samsung Galaxy S4 (and before that S2) and Torque Pro app and find it to be fantastic....been using it for about 3 years now

http://dx.com/p/elm327-bluetooth-obd...r-dongle-16921
    MY09 Platinum DiD
    Extras: ARB Deluxe Bar, MM Tow Bar, Cargo Barrier, Pioneer Platform/Roof Racks, Bonnet/Headlight Protectors, iPOD cable and Neoprene Seat Covers, ARB Onboard Compressor, Bushskinz, Bridgestone D694 LT's, 7" HID Spotties, Tint
    Wish List: ...Fridge, Dual Batteries, UHF, Awning

Comment

Originally posted by scubadunc View Post
      I use this one with my Samsung Galaxy S4 (and before that S2) and Torque Pro app and find it to be fantastic....been using it for about 3 years now

http://dx.com/p/elm327-bluetooth-obd...r-dongle-16921
      Ok, many thanks.

I just had a look and several people have commented that it drains the car battery to nothing if you leave it plugged in.

Have you had it do that?

Or do you remove it each time you stop the car?

Comment

Hi I have 1 and I dont run mine all the time but I have left plugged in for a couple days and no problem I think it turns off when car is turned off ???regards john

Comment

Originally posted by johndavis125262 View Post
          Hi I have 1 and I dont run mine all the time but I have left plugged in for a couple days and no problem I think it turns off when car is turned off ???regards john
          Ok, thanks. Being that it has no lights, I thought the only way to find out was to ask for someone who is running one whether or not it had caused them a problem.

Regards
          Doug

Comment

I have just purchased this one. It has a power switch if you are concerned about power draw. Not delivered as yet so no review.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321147132...84.m1439.l2649

Another option is to switch the power supply for the OBDII port. The 12v supply is pin 16. I have also seen somewhere on the web where someone pulled the transmitter apart and added a dash switch that is more convenient. I suppose you could even connect it to the ignition somehow.
            The Car: 2007 V6 Exceed. ARB bullbar, LRA aux tank, Rhino Platform, Hankook A/T's, Lovells/Bilsteins, Polyairs, Dual batts, XXX HID spotties, Light bar, Abber water tank, Bushskinz. Still to come: Snorkel, winch & tidy up wiring.

The Camper: 2016 Patriot X1 Limited Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Tate1984 View Post
              I have just purchased this one. It has a power switch if you are concerned about power draw. Not delivered as yet so no review.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321147132...84.m1439.l2649

Another option is to switch the power supply for the OBDII port. The 12v supply is pin 16. I have also seen somewhere on the web where someone pulled the transmitter apart and added a dash switch that is more convenient. I suppose you could even connect it to the ignition somehow.
              Now that you have identified the power pin out that helps a lot.
              I like the idea of installing a switch in the unit.

Do you realise that the unit you link to above, that they specifically state it is not suitable for diesel engines?

Heavens knows why.

Thanks
              Doug

Comment

Hi this is what used and brought from ebay I have challenger pb 2013 diesel
                V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Interface Scanner
                regards john

Comment

Hi this is what used and brought from ebay I have challenger pb 2013 diesel
                  V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Interface Scanner
                  regards john
                  John

From what I can see, the above is a compliance specification rather than a specific brand of device.

I just did a keyword search on it and the hits were on lots of different products, very different appearances.

There is one that only fits Beemers and the plug on it is nothing like
                  an OBDII port as we know it.

<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Torque-Elm327-Bluetooth-V1-5-Interface-OBD2-OBDII-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-F-/251373203977?_trksid=p2054897.l4275>

Do you have a link to the actual one you bought please?

Regards
                  Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dgrev View Post
                    Now that you have identified the power pin out that helps a lot.
                    I like the idea of installing a switch in the unit.
                    Here is a diagram showing each pin

Originally posted by dgrev View Post
                    Do you realise that the unit you link to above, that they specifically state it is not suitable for diesel engines?
                    I actually missed that in the ad - lucky that I have the 3.8 petrol
                    The Car: 2007 V6 Exceed. ARB bullbar, LRA aux tank, Rhino Platform, Hankook A/T's, Lovells/Bilsteins, Polyairs, Dual batts, XXX HID spotties, Light bar, Abber water tank, Bushskinz. Still to come: Snorkel, winch & tidy up wiring.

The Camper: 2016 Patriot X1 Limited Edition

Comment

hi sorry mate I was on mobile just jumped on comp this is the one I brought regards john

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161010793...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

Excellent, thank you.

Regards
                        Doug

Originally posted by Tate1984 View Post
                        Here is a diagram showing each pin

I actually missed that in the ad - lucky that I have the 3.8 petrol

Comment

No worries and this blokes in aus regards john

Comment

No worries and this blokes in aus regards john
                            Even better.

The price is cheap enough, so I will give it a go. If it drains the battery etc, I
                            can play around with fitting a switch. If I manage to brick it, well, it isn't big dollars to buy another.

Regards
                            Doug

Comment

I keep mine in the glove box and just slip it on when i want. takes a minute so no big deal the app does hit your battery on your ph so charge it while using app and all good regards john

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X