blocked off EGR problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blocked off EGR problem

Hi Dad talked me into blocking off my EGR so I got one of those plates that everyone buys it has a small hole in it. Think I bought it from chip it. Anyway now my Paj has huge turbo lag it is impossible to get out into the traffic at roundabouts I put my foot down then wait for about 1-2 secs and then is slowly starts to pull away. Any ideas what would be causing this cheers Ben Jnr
    2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Originally posted by csimic View Post
    Hi Dad talked me into blocking off my EGR so I got one of those plates that everyone buys it has a small hole in it. Think I bought it from chip it. Anyway now my Paj has huge turbo lag it is impossible to get out into the traffic at roundabouts I put my foot down then wait for about 1-2 secs and then is slowly starts to pull away. Any ideas what would be causing this cheers Ben Jnr
    Is that the dad who bagged everyone who even mentioned blocking off the egr ????

Comment

I know my NP is Not the same but I did put a EGR Block Plate on mine and it Sounded More Rattler at Idle, had a slight Flat spot, when I drove it on the road it Sounded Noiser and Harsher Sounding?? I removed it the next day and it Appears to have returned to Normal? Much Nicer Sounding and No flat spot. It might be my Imagination?
      NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

flat spot

[QUOTE=markc;333969]Is that the dad who bagged everyone who even mentioned blocking off the egr

You got it it is same DAd but you converted him from his old ways I mean when he did his apprenticeship he worked on 1948 Ford tractors so he is hard to educate lol, Ben
        2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

[QUOTE=hobbo;333982]I know my NP is Not the same but I did put a EGR Block Plate on mine and it Sounded More Rattler at Idle, had a slight Flat spot, when I drove it on the road it Sounded Noiser and Harsher Sounding?? I removed it the next day and it Appears to have returned to Normal? Much Nicer Sounding and No flat spot. It might be my Imagination?

Thanks I think I will try that first as a starting point anyway, Ben Jnr

Comment

Ben my NT went the other way, a lot less lag etc. If you are not enjoying it then remove it and just get the intake cleaned every time you get the valves adjusted.
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

Anyway, I thought you guys had to remove the butterfly or drill it a least to Go With the EGR Blank Off? Mine had a Lot of Vacuum with the Plate In but returned to Neutral with it out.
              NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

I would be having a good look around the engine bay and making sure you haven't accidentally left something disconnected, a blanking plate shouldn't give you lag issues.
                Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Blanking plate should not effect turbo boost at all. Problem is elsewhere.
                  .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                  NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone my friend and I are going to see what we can find in the morning, cheers, Ben jnr

Comment

Did you remove or drill the throttle plate? I'm no expert but logically, if you just block the egr at the manifold (or anywhere else) when the egr valve opens to let in exhaust gas....nothing is coming through. On the other end if the throttle plate is still in place it's partially closed to take in more egr gas. Therefore your slowing all gas flow when egr is in operation.

You need the compensate the egr blocking with more fresh air . Therefore, drill or better still completely remote the throttle plate. Look at my thread "egr blocked and cooler removed". That was a while ago and my paj has never run better. Instant power and no split second pause like before the block.
                      2011 NT platinum auto. Raised Lovells HD all round, bilstein shocks, 3 bushskinz plates, egr block, egr cooler removed, throttle body butterfly removed, optima blue top second battery, arb dual battery tray, ctek dual d250s, stebel horn, hankook dynapro muddies, dba 4000 t3 front rotors.

Comment

You do not need to compensate exhaust gas for air when you block the egr off.
                        The egr does not operaterate when you need go. It is fully closed.

Eg. When the throttle is fully depressed the egr valve is fully closed. Air only.
                        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Your right Goodsy, when the foot is down the egr system is closed and only allows fresh air in, so a blocked or unblocked egr (with or without throttle plate) would make no difference.

But what Csimic is talking about is the few second "turbo' lag between foot down and accelaration. A blocked egr without compensation (drilled or removed throttle plate) will have less air/egr gas flowing through the motor and therefore less to keep the exhaust turbine spinning.

When the foot does go down and there is enough air going through the system a few seconds are needed to spin up the turbine.

I had the turbo lag when our paj was brand new and unmodified. I just thought of it being a characteristic of the car. Now that i've block the egr and removed the throttle plate the lag is gone.

What is the problem with removing the throttle plate. Don't be afraid guys. Diesel engine's unlike petrol, operate in excess air (the more air the better) where power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected. Petrol engines need to meter and control both. Do some research.

The only reason the throttle plate is there is to eliminate run on when you turn the engine off and assist the egr cycle.
                          2011 NT platinum auto. Raised Lovells HD all round, bilstein shocks, 3 bushskinz plates, egr block, egr cooler removed, throttle body butterfly removed, optima blue top second battery, arb dual battery tray, ctek dual d250s, stebel horn, hankook dynapro muddies, dba 4000 t3 front rotors.

Comment

When I blocked my egr I had no difference in acceleration. Same amount of turbo lag. Removing the throttle plate was a preventative messure as others with NS's had reported cels.
                            Removing the throttle plate did improve throttle response (turbo spool up) over stock. No more.

I do not here of other NT and NW's with turbo spool up problems because of an ERG block.

Just what I read. Nothing more.
                            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by radical View Post
                              Your right Goodsy, when the foot is down the egr system is closed and only allows fresh air in, so a blocked or unblocked egr (with or without throttle plate) would make no difference.

But what Csimic is talking about is the few second "turbo' lag between foot down and accelaration. A blocked egr without compensation (drilled or removed throttle plate) will have less air/egr gas flowing through the motor and therefore less to keep the exhaust turbine spinning.

When the foot does go down and there is enough air going through the system a few seconds are needed to spin up the turbine.

I had the turbo lag when our paj was brand new and unmodified. I just thought of it being a characteristic of the car. Now that i've block the egr and removed the throttle plate the lag is gone.

What is the problem with removing the throttle plate. Don't be afraid guys. Diesel engine's unlike petrol, operate in excess air (the more air the better) where power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected. Petrol engines need to meter and control both. Do some research.

The only reason the throttle plate is there is to eliminate run on when you turn the engine off and assist the egr cycle.
                              I had less turbo lag after blocking the egr. I put it down to 100% of exhaust gas going through the turbine insteqd of some being bled off back to the intake. This obviously only happens on slight throttle application.
                              2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X