Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pajero Feedback from our Vic trip

Hi Guys,

Recently returned from a trip towing the caravan to Ballarat in Vic.

Thought you'd like some feedback on the Paj.

We did a total of 3900km and averaged 16.9 LPH.

The engine sat on 87 degress most of the trip and rose to a maximum of 106 degress for a short period, climbing the hilly sections near the Hawksvury River. It was 34 degress that day, so that would have pushed the engine further. It came back down to 87 very quickly.

We copped strong (40-50km) sidewinds near Yass. The van shimmied a tiny bit, but have to say the Alko ESC on the van was terrific and it prevented any violent movements or sway from occuring. Wouldn't have liked to do this part without it!

Also swerved a couple of times to avoid large potholes (and to try the ESC). It came on immediately and straightened the van. Very impressed.

Overall, the Pajero was wonderful - never missed a beat all that way, and was extremely powerful and comfortable. We often overtook other cars and vans, and at times cruised at 100-105km.

Luckily no animal strikes, flat tyres or stone chips! Used the Roo Shoo on the bumper. Saw a couple look at us - don't know if it helps or not. Just missed two bad hail storms near Syd and Central Coast and the one here when we got home!

Was great seeing so much of Oz again. Stops included Wodonga, Karuah, Goulburn and Coffs. Other places of interested we visited were, Glenrowan (Ned Kelly), Gundagai (Dog on the Tuckerbox), Forster and Moonee Moone for lunch on the beautiful Hawksbury.

The scariest part was having semis a couple of inches from your mirrors on Pennant Hils Road near Sydney! We pushed the Clearview Mirrors in here! The Ring Roads in Syd and Melb are excellent.

Can't wait for the next big road trip again!

Cheers,
    Sally
    SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Sounds like a great trip Sally, we did the Golden Highway last year from Dubbo to Hawks Nest and on some ranges engine coolant reached 100 plus, I eased right off and didn't let it get over 104. That was on a 42C day. Pajero had heaps more power to give but I wanted to be cautious.

Glad to hear the AL-KO ESC works well, have to see if it can be fitted to our van, if not then it's a must for the next one.

Cheers,
    Karl
    Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

Hi Karl,

Thank you. Yes, it was a great trip, - a bit nervous pn those hills but it soon came back to normal, which was reassuring. Coming back home the engine stayed below 100 degrees, and it was much cooler.

After this trip we're getting a works burger at the service! Auto trans will be serviced, as well as normal service and the diff lock oil changed. Will be exxy!

Haven't seen you about the forums for a while. Hope all is well.

If you can get the ESC on your van, it is most worthwhile - a real confidence booster.

All the best,
      Sally

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

Comment

Glad to hear you had a safe and happy trip Sally.

I've found the best way to tackle Pennant Hills Rd with the van on is to tuck in behind a dirty big Semi or B double as soon as I come off the M2 onto P/Hills Rd (and visa versa coming south).
        They usually use the centre lane and no-one absolutely no-one else wants to get between me and the semi, they all want to go faster and go around.

The added bonus is of course we know exactly what the semis are going to do, not like a lot of the drongos that just want to weave in and out and chop in front of us.
        Regards.....Keith.

Comment

Pajero feedback from our Vic trip

Hi Sally great to hear we are going on a road trip to Melbourne at end of this week to pick up our new second hand van (jayco heritage 25 ft) I have got them to put ESC on have heard its good great to hear first hand that it works well. Will come back via Canberra wont be stopping long have to be back following week.
          heady1399

Comment

Originally posted by The Commodore View Post
            Glad to hear you had a safe and happy trip Sally.

I've found the best way to tackle Pennant Hills Rd with the van on is to tuck in behind a dirty big Semi or B double as soon as I come off the M2 onto P/Hills Rd (and visa versa coming south).
            They usually use the centre lane and no-one absolutely no-one else wants to get between me and the semi, they all want to go faster and go around.

The added bonus is of course we know exactly what the semis are going to do, not like a lot of the drongos that just want to weave in and out and chop in front of us.
            Hi Keith,

Very good advice!

We did exactly this on the way home, but on the way south thought we'd get petrol (silly Coles vouchers) and went into that Shell there! (Dumb!). It was interesting getting over to the right lane after this! You soon learn quickly! I must say, the drivers are pretty tolerant of van combos - must be used it it. Better than up here on the Gold Coast.

Hi Heady1399,

Enjoy your van. Sounds a beaty at 25 foot! What are your weights like? Are you towing with a Paj?

Yes, the ESC makes a huge difference. It's always windy near Canberra/Yass region and it helped enormously.

Safe travelling!

Cheers,
            Sally

Comment

Hi Sally,

I've been on here and there, haven't had much to post about. Have stayed off the Caravanners Forum due to too many rules and too many "experts".

Was the AL-KO ESC expensive to retro fit to your van?

CHeers,

Karl

Comment

Hi Sally,

Do you monitor AIT's (Ait Intake Temps) on your Ultra Gauge if so what readings to you get when towing your van up steep hills.

Cheers,

Tim
                2010 NT Activ 3.2 Diesel Auto White.
                OME Deluxe Bar, OME Sports Suspension, LR Aux Tank, 2xBushSkinz, MM Tow kit, ClearView Tow Mirrors, Scotts Rods 3" Exhaust, Mickey Thompson ATZ Rubber, Spare Tyre Lifter, Nite Stalker Driving Lights, Body Protection Kit, GME TX3340 UHF, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ultra Gauge EM, Dual Batt & Redarc Isolator, Thule X'bars, Front & Rear Wet Seat neoprene covers, Black Sandgrabber mats. OzHummer's MMCS overide & iPod kit.... So far....

Comment

Hi Tim,

Not trying to pre-empt Sally but on our Pajero on a 42C day I've seen the AIT reach 100. This happened more than once. Usually hung around 90 on ranges though.

Cheers,
                  Karl

Comment

Pajero Feedback

Hi Sally
                    We have a 2010 NT Activ bought 2 yrs ago getting things sorted, have run heavy battery cable to rear to fuse block inside left rear seat hinge area fused circuits to twin Anderson plugs on towbar 1 Anderson plug on short cable for a Koolatron fridge, have put redarc remote brake controller in roof console with 3510. will pick up on Tuesday just got back from cruise to PNG so busy days. van is 2.5t they are going through a delivery class so we can get it all set up properly.

Glenn
                    heady1399

Comment

Originally posted by Jondalar View Post
                      Hi Tim,

Not trying to pre-empt Sally but on our Pajero on a 42C day I've seen the AIT reach 100. This happened more than once. Usually hung around 90 on ranges though.

Cheers,
                      Karl
                      Hi Karl,

Were you towing when you saw these temps? I have seen mine reach 120C when towing my van uphill on 30C days. When the IAT's reach about 114c the turbo boost decreases dramatically and you loose a lot of power. The IAT's then increase to 120C but never get any higher. They decrease rapidly when you start to descend.

Tim
                      2010 NT Activ 3.2 Diesel Auto White.
                      OME Deluxe Bar, OME Sports Suspension, LR Aux Tank, 2xBushSkinz, MM Tow kit, ClearView Tow Mirrors, Scotts Rods 3" Exhaust, Mickey Thompson ATZ Rubber, Spare Tyre Lifter, Nite Stalker Driving Lights, Body Protection Kit, GME TX3340 UHF, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ultra Gauge EM, Dual Batt & Redarc Isolator, Thule X'bars, Front & Rear Wet Seat neoprene covers, Black Sandgrabber mats. OzHummer's MMCS overide & iPod kit.... So far....

Comment

Hi Tim,

First time was Toowoomba range on a 40C day. 2nd time was the Golden Highway from Dubbo east towards Singleton. Both time there was a lot of power left but I took it easy to avoid further rises in temperature.

Cheers,
                        Karl

Comment

Originally posted by tim51 View Post
                          Hi Sally,

Do you monitor AIT's (Ait Intake Temps) on your Ultra Gauge if so what readings to you get when towing your van up steep hills.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

No, haven't got the AIT on the first page, so if I have set it there, it's on one of the other pages and you never scroll through when driving! Also don't have the Auto Trans Temp. Would worry otherwise, but so far no light or probs!

Thanks Karl, good feedback.

Cheers,
                          Sally

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X