Metal in Front Diff Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal in Front Diff Oil

Hello everyone new to this. I have a 2009 NT GLS and I have almost reached 90,000 km and have started doing the 90,000 km service. When I changed the front diff oil the oil that came out looked like it had metal in it when the oil was moved in the container, is this normal? There no noises from the diff. I bought the car 2nd hand it's service history was up to date and it was owned by an elderly couple who towed a van and it hadn't done much 4 x 4 work. The rear diff oil looked like new.
    2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Isn't there a magnet on the drain plug for the diff to catch any metal chunks?
    Diff oil will often come out looking like it has a 'metallic' content, this is nothing to be concerned about - it is normal wear and tear. What you don't want to see is large chips and chunks of metal on the magnet. A little bit of metal 'fuzz' on the magnet is normal however.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Thanks Dan you have put my mind at rest, yes there is a magnet in the drain plug it was the small metal in suspension that was the concern. There wasn't any chunky bits.
      Regards Allan.
      2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X