Different Suspension Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Suspension Question

I have a 2010 NT sliding up to 90K km's in the near future.

Currently have original shocks which are probably in the latter half of there life.

My problem is I have a bung back - really bung.

The ride is rough and painful.

I thought I would tap into the knowledge of everyone here and ask, what mods, adjustments etc would you make to smooth out the ride.

I don't do off road as such, I live on a farm and have 2km's of dirt road to get to the house. The dirt road is a little rough but no worse than most CBD streets.

So what do you think
    James

"I get knocked down but I get up again, ......eventually"

Mates wife has a buggered back and tried everything spent $$$$$ then purchased a GOOD air seat It may not be your answer but worked for her

Comment

Originally posted by Newton1! View Post
      I have a 2010 NT sliding up to 90K km's in the near future.

Currently have original shocks which are probably in the latter half of there life.

My problem is I have a bung back - really bung.

The ride is rough and painful.

I thought I would tap into the knowledge of everyone here and ask, what mods, adjustments etc would you make to smooth out the ride.

I don't do off road as such, I live on a farm and have 2km's of dirt road to get to the house. The dirt road is a little rough but no worse than most CBD streets.

So what do you think

Surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
        Surgery.
        6 surgeries, 4 different surgeons, 2 countries.

Never again
        James

Comment

Originally posted by Newton1! View Post
          6 surgeries, 4 different surgeons, 2 countries.

Never again

Holy

I feel your pain.

I had surgery 18 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

I guess it's the luck of the draw mate.

Comment

You could talk to someone like Ultimate Suspension about option for a suspension setup that is comfort oriented rather than handling/offroad oriented. They can do custom valving and springs.

However if it really is that bad then really the only option is to change vehicles to a car that is more designed for ride comfort.
            2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
              Holy

I feel your pain.

I had surgery 18 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

I guess it's the luck of the draw mate.
              I am really glad it worked out for you. It is just something medicine doesn't seem to understand.

Mine is a luck of the draw thing I guess. Focus on the positives and keep taking one, very slow, step at a time. It isn't going to ruin my life anymore than it has to

I used to have a Triton (with Ultimate suspension) it was a mistake!, swapped it for a Pajero, really can't go anything much smaller or less off road with the farm, the contractors use it when they are towing stuff and so on. A 1 tonne Bull doesn't tow well behind a "comfort car"

My wife has a Kluger, it really struggles around here on occasions but I drive that a fair bit if I have to. I love my Pajero though (Yes its a size thing) along with all the other benefits.

Thanks for the suggestions
              James

Comment

My wife also has the bad back thing and we have just put a Ultimate set up in with valving and springs set for comfort, and also towing. Also put Firestone High Pressure air bags in to deal with the weight issues when towing. My undestanding is they stiffen rather than lift the suspension. Ultimate reckoned they could come up with some valve settings that would be a good result.
                Early days yet, but so far seems to do what I want. Haven't tried towing yet, so time will tell.
                Will put more posts up as I get a better picture of how it all works.
                2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

you could look at ranchos with a wireless controller to allow you to tailor the suspension to what is comfortable for you.
                  Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                  Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

The Ranchos do look good. Cheaper than a new car as well
                    James

Comment

Have you played with tyres pressure at all ?
                      2011 VRX NT DiD Cooper AT3 275/65 R18 - Uhf - 2inch Lift -Rhino Pioneer Platform Rack with shovel holder- 105 ah dual battery system - Sunseeker Awning TJM N13 Bullar Bar. Light Force Spotties. 40 Inch Light Bar 8 inch Light Bar Reverse Light, 12000 Pound Mean Mother Winch, TAG Tow Bar - Airtec Snorkel - GSL Brake Controller - TREDS -Led Lighting Upgrade - False Floor with Engel Transit Lock - 3inch stainless exhaust - Roo systems ecu flash In Tow 2012 jayco eagle outback

Comment

Originally posted by dunxallan View Post
                        Have you played with tyres pressure at all ?
                        I have, unfortunately I live in a place with a lot of highway, a lot of suburban roads and a lot of dirt roads (which are very rough).

I seem to get it right for one "area" and I am wearing tyres down elsewhere. Just can't seem to get the balance right and with Cooper ST3 on each corner it is expensive to get it wrong!

Thanks as always
                        James

Comment

I have Hankook Dynapro Atm tyres (went these cause they eat coopers tyres for breakfast, so comfortable and long wearing) and tough dog adjustable shocks front and rear with Medium coil at the front(40mm) and 100kg rated OME coils at rear(45mm) .. gotta say nothing like dialing in the setting of comfort on the shocks 1-9.. I tow a Jayco work and play with a 2010 NT Diesel with Arb Sahara bar and dual batteries.. Have a haymen reece Stabilizer set up and no need for bags at all even with 2 x quads in the back of the work n play.. wouldn't mind a bit more height so may be looking at lovells 50mm all round but the tough dog adjustables shocks will be staying that's for sure..
                          My tyres are 34psi front and rear and never had an issue with wearing; 70k to date.. I do put 38psi in rear when towing but around toen always drop them..
                          Very happy with the comfort heaps better than stock..

Comment

Sounds like you don't need a 4wd buy a car that helps your health out as no matter what you do to a 4wd the ride will always be hard on your back....
                            2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc

Comment

Originally posted by pabz View Post
                              I have Hankook Dynapro Atm tyres (went these cause they eat coopers tyres for breakfast, so comfortable and long wearing) and tough dog adjustable shocks front and rear with Medium coil at the front(40mm) and 100kg rated OME coils at rear(45mm) .. gotta say nothing like dialing in the setting of comfort on the shocks 1-9.. I tow a Jayco work and play with a 2010 NT Diesel with Arb Sahara bar and dual batteries.. Have a haymen reece Stabilizer set up and no need for bags at all even with 2 x quads in the back of the work n play.. wouldn't mind a bit more height so may be looking at lovells 50mm all round but the tough dog adjustables shocks will be staying that's for sure..
                              My tyres are 34psi front and rear and never had an issue with wearing; 70k to date.. I do put 38psi in rear when towing but around toen always drop them..
                              Very happy with the comfort heaps better than stock..
                              Thanks, that sounds nice. I don't think I would ever get coopers again, really disappointing! Just have to ride them out I am afraid. I spoke to the cooper rep up here and he says they are fine.

Santa denied my request for adjustable shocks, apparently I had been naughty
                              I need to recover from Christmas and then the shocks.

Thanks.
                              James

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X