Shocker of a Bilstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker of a Bilstein

Don't believe all you hear about Bilstein being the best all round shock absorber. Obviously the picture tells the story or part of it. This catastrophic failure occurred on the Finke (Old Ghan) Heritage track (corrugations rated at 3 out of 10) after travelling from Dalhousie that morning. Speeds from Mt Dare to Finke ranged to 60km/h, tyre pressures probably too high at 27psi. I was towing a 1500kg camper with a ball weight of 120kg. The section from Finke to mid Heritage road was travelled at around 20 to 40 km/h. Probably the type of shocker, the speed, the tyre pressures and the load contributed to this dismal failure. A fellow traveller towing with a Patrol had OME shocks and no dramas. NOW, I will be re-equipping with OME Nitrocharger Sports. ARB say they will warrant the shock for 3 years or 60,000 km. Warranty from Bilstein - NIL.
    Attached Files
    Pajero NT 2010 Activ. Ironbark, after market GPS radio 2 DIN, Uniden radio, Bilstein shocks, Lovell SD springs, poly air airbags, Bushskinz under body bash plates, chip, K&N air filter, spot lights, nudge bar, Waeco RAPS, Anderson plug, window tint, Yokohama Geo lander At/s, Wet seat seat covers, RAM mount

That's very interesting. I just recently suffered from a melted boot but the shock was fine :
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=35866

Yours has obviously let go completely.

But the funny part about it, mine melted on some low speed hill climb work of very short duration. They survived the rigors 8 weeks prior on the Dalhousie/Finke road (and all the other crappy stuff before and afterwards) without issue. I too was towing and I estimate 4.5T all up when fully laden. I still have faith in the product.

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/20...damn-bugs.html

Have you contacted Heasman in Sydney about it?
    http://bilstein.com.au/

You do have to admit though, that road from Purni bore to Finke would put any product to the test. In my instance, they did the job admirably:

Last edited by sharkcaver; 10-12-13, 12:40 PM.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Hi bitplay33,

Sorry to hear of the Bilstein fail. There is another post going on this somewhere too.

We have Nitro Sport shockers from ARB all round, and OME springs front - (Lovells HD springs on the rear for towing).

Very happy with our shockers so far.

The 3 year/60,000km is piece of mind too.

All the best,
      Sally
      SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

We did 8,000km on some of the worst roads in the Kimberley this year, Tanami, Bungles, Gibb, Cape Leveque and Kalumburu roads as a part of a 6 week 12,500km trip. We were fully loaded at GVM +150kg and travelled quickly, between 70 and 100kph on the dirt. The Bilsteins were fantastic no problems but they were new so I will see what they are really like after a few more years.

Corrugations Shane, these are corrugations!

cheers, old Jack.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Did that same run last month towing a Conqueror 490 loaded with gear. Car has OME Nitro Sport and have been fitted now for 75000ks no issues at all.
          2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Corrugations Shane, these are corrugations!
            cheers, old Jack.

Yeah sorry mate, crap example of the road condition (but it was the road in question). I couldnt get a pic of the crap road, cause once I started, I couldnt stop ....lol
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

My Journeys

Comment

The pics of both failures had airbags wonder if this is contributing to the failures ?
              2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Jords View Post
                The pics of both failures had airbags wonder if this is contributing to the failures ?
                Wouldn't think so, the air bags if anything would stop the spring bouncing up and down, so less work for the shock.

Comment

Did the Dalhousie to Finke track and up the old Ghan in 2010 with no dramas with my Bilsteins. Have now done over 110k with them and no drama, with probably more than 20k touring on dirt and offroading.
                  I guess some times you have bad luck, some time good. Would not bag a brand based on one or two or a few bad experiences considering the large number of shocks out there. Was just saying to my self the other day that my shocks don't owe me anything (while I touched wood of course cause that makes all the difference). One my own experience I would replace like for like.

It was good that you had support with you as it would not be good getting stranded on your own outback. I hope it was not too much of a PITA getting a replacement set.
                  On that note, do any of you tourers carry spare shocks for this possibility?

Cheers
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  MY06 NP GLX DID Auto, ARB winch bar, Bushskinz front + self designed transmission protection, Tigerz 12,000lbs Winch w/ rope, Snorkel, 2" lift with Lovells springs & Bilstien shocks, 265/70R16 D697 AT's, Self made auto lock-up kit, Leaking Aux bat w/ Redarc isolator, 10" Tab Navigator, UHF, Roo Lite spotties, Cargo barrier, Rhino HD Roof bars & roof basket on track mount, Waeco, self made camping box, TVan and lots of fun...

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
                    Wouldn't think so, the air bags if anything would stop the spring bouncing up and down, so less work for the shock.
                    Not necessarily the bags would stop the shock from longer slower travel and turn it into short sharp pulses increasing friction therefore heat. The shock wouldn't have been designed with these movements in mind.
                    2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

27 psi is pretty high, speeds high also perhaps....
                      2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                        27 psi is pretty high, speeds high also perhaps....
                        Not often I go below 30 on dirt and I've got stiff 10 ply's. And I did the same trip in October and my billies were up to task. To have any shock fail on that road would not be surprising.

Stated in the OP was speeds up to 60Km/h. I'm sure I was a damn sight more than that in a lot of places (I can check my trip log if required). I wonder if finding the sweet spot in regards to speed also has a marked effect on shock cooling? IE too slow or too fast producing more heat than the sweet spot??
                        (I melted my boots on low speed stuff)

I'm thinking about maybe packing the infrared non contact thermo to log shock temps over various terrains. It would have been interesting to compare the temps of the ome and the billie over the same terrain.

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by aquanaught View Post
                          It was good that you had support with you as it would not be good getting stranded on your own outback. I hope it was not too much of a PITA getting a replacement set.
                          On that note, do any of you tourers carry spare shocks for this possibility?

Cheers
                          Spares whilst touring, 25 years ago we would take enough spares to rebuild half the car but with a well setup modern (less than 15 years old), and maintained 4wd we carry very few spares. Belts and hoses are changed every 3 years regardless of condition about 2 months before a trip. I carry a list of all dealers and suppliers I may need to use in the area we are travelling and a copy of the service manual on my laptop. Because we carry less spares, we carry less tools and lubricants so this saves weight and weight is the killer on your 4wd when touring over harsh remote country.

I do a walk around and a quick under body inspection every time we stop for a break, a very through inspection at the end of each days travel and another quick once over in the morning before starting off. You find small things that are easily rectified or monitored before they become major failures.

Experience has shown me that it is the aftermarket bolt-ons and electrical that are the biggest liability now days once you have your tyres and suspension sorted out.

cheers, old Jack.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Its threads like this than make it harder to make decisions! (Which is good)

I currently have Iron Man shocks with Lovell springs which seems to work. I am doing the simpson desert in April and need to swap to a stiffer front spring due to my new bull bar. Whilst its apart I was thinking of changing shocks (current ones have 35,000km on them) as im not 100% on the iron man product. But seeing melted boots and blown seals on low km Bilsteins makes me rethink fitting them.
                            Silver 2008 NS VRX 3.2 DiD
                            Ironman / Lovell 50mm lift, 275/65R18 Maxxis Big Horn's, Custom Rear bar protection, Bush Skinz intercooler guard, 4mm oil pan guard (self made), Bush Skinz Trans and Transfer guards, Bush Skinz Rock sliders, ARB Deluxe colour coded bull bar, ORU 12,000LB winch, Light force 240 Spot Lights, Custom dual battery carrier / Red Arc Isolator, UHF, Custom Tuned Uni-Chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
                              But seeing melted boots and blown seals on low km Bilsteins makes me rethink fitting them.
                              They work well, but do not last the distance for a shock at that price.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X