Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Hello all. has anybody tried Chief Mohican Synthetic Transmission fluid in a 2009 NT?
    I am about to change my transmission fluid and have found this product at my local s/cheap store. It meets SP-11 and SP-111 plus ATF-11 and ATF-SK is suitable for Mitsubishi and others. Another bonus it retails for $44.95 for 5 litres compared to Neulon at $67.75 for 4 litres.
    Any suggestions greatly received.
    Regards Allan
    2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Auto Fluid

Originally posted by gaiallan View Post
    Hello all. has anybody tried Chief Mohican Synthetic Transmission fluid in a 2009 NT?
    I am about to change my transmission fluid and have found this product at my local s/cheap store. It meets SP-11 and SP-111 plus ATF-11 and ATF-SK is suitable for Mitsubishi and others. Another bonus it retails for $44.95 for 5 litres compared to Neulon at $67.75 for 4 litres.
    Regards Allan
    I am sure there were posts on this subject recently.....try auto fluid in search. Rob

Comment

Originally posted by gaiallan View Post
      Regards Allan

I'm sorry Allan but it never ceases to amaze me when people try to save ten or twenty dollars on oils or cheap filters for a vehicle that probably cost then $50,000 to $60,000.

Comment

For what it is worth I googled "Chief Mohican Synthetic Transmission" and went to the Chief-oil.com web site. The specs on the ATF were Dexron II/III which we know is NOT suitable. The web site says "Mitsubishi SP-II/SP-III" which I think is the same thing.

The Mitsubishi spec for the NT auto from memory is Dia-Queen PA. This is not mentioned for this ATF.

I would suggest when you try to get a cheaper ATF you always check if it meets the Mitsubishi spec. From memory again no manufacturer has yet to absolutely 100% guarantee compatibility with the Mitsubishi spec for use in the auto when PJ is under warranty.

I know Mitsubishi rip us off but for my 2c worth use anything other than genuine ATF it at your own risk.
        2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

yes stick with the genuine auto tranny fluids. engine oils can be a different story but so many guys have had issues with the use of non genuine auto fluids as mentioned on this forum. actually MM auto Fluid is around that same price for a 5 litre container full from what i recently paid for my fluid.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Hi guys,

Just had ours done at 55,000kms.

Can confirm the dealer does use Dia Queen. Is on the invoice, anyway!

They said it was still good/clean, but no harm done being sure.

Cheers,
            Sally
            SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

Thank you every one who replied. Have spoken with the local transmission people and they said they can do a filter & gasket change and partial fluid change for around $200.00 and a full fluid change for around $375.00. I bought the vehicle 2nd hand and it was used for towing, the contents of the auto box is unknown so they recomend take the pan off to see what is in the bottom of it and a new filter and partial fluid change as a minimum. Further discussion revealed the transmissions shouldn't go for any longer than 40,000 km with out a service and as mine is approaching 90,000 km a full fluid change and filter and pan gasket will be done. The fluid that will be going back in is the recomended fluid for that transmission and there will not be any issues with warranty. They recomended the filter be changed, it is a stainless steel type and you can only see so far into it and as I have mentioned above it was used for towing and who knows what is inside it. Another bonus is I don't have to deal with the left over fluid. Once it has been serviced and I know it is alright I can manage the next fluid change myself.
              The reason I put this enquirary out there was because it was so confusing in relation to what was the right fluid for my vehicle.
              Again, thank you for your time and effort with your replies.
              Regards Allan.
              2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

I would beware of this auto guy as he obviously does not know much about the PJ. There are other cars out there like the early 2000 Astra's that also only change the auto fluid at very high kms. The super select box has the auto fluid changed at around 190,000 according to the book or 90,000 if used for towing.

Vehicles that use dexron II/III change fluid at 40,000. Checkout Sally's post above about her tranny fluid.

If you do use this guy I would buy the auto fluid off the local dealer and just pay for labour. At least this way you know you'll have the correct fluid put in.
                2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

Allan, it is a very wise move for the mechanic to remove the auto sump and give it a clean plus fit the new strainer / filter and yes a Full Fluid Flush and fluid replaced. maybe you should also ask them ; how much transmission fluid will they use in total for this as a proper fluid flush requires atleast 10 litres of tranny fluid.
                  NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Thanks Dolphin, I believe this is the best plan for me as well. He said to do a full flush could use anywhere between 15 to 20 litres of fluid.
                    Thanks for your reply.
                    Regards Allan

Comment

DaveH, thank you for your thoughts. My PJ was bought 2nd hand and as I mentioned it was used for towing and it's internal condition is unknown. These people used to service the auto box on my 5.7 Commodore and I have no problems with them or their opinion. However yes, I was wondering about the service time between fluid changes, they did say most of these newer types of 'sealed' auto gear boxes are failing due to the fluid not being changed earlier enough. When they change the present fluid I will supply a jar and ask them for a fluid sample.
                      Regards Allan

Comment

hi Allan, there is a lot of info about the auto fluid elsewhere on this forum. The most important thing seems to be to use the correct fluid and there seems to be only one available which is genuine MMAL stuff.

I actually emailed a couple of manufacturers and none would guarantee compatibility for warranty purposes. That tells me something. Just make sure the auto guy uses the genuine fluid.

Comment

For a big ticket item like the trans (I believe it's over $10k new) I'd be having work done by the dealer. Yes it'll cost a couple hundred more out of your pocket but it's like insurance, if soemthing goes wrong it's their problem rather than yours. With a small business, you'll have a harder time getting a payout and even then you won't have a car for a potentially a couple of months while a new unit is ordered etc whereas you can expect a loaner from a dealer.

At the very least I'd obtain the service manual and fluid from a dealer and provide both to the workshop if you go the non dealer route. I'm certain that in a modern vehicle, servicing the trans isn't as simple as opening it up and changing the filter and filling it with new fluid. Rememeber these are supposed to be sealed for life units. Don't be surprised if there's several parts that can't be reused once it's opened or that opening it voids the warranty on the unit.
                          MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                          Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

apsilon, thank you for your input. These people do all the warranty work for all the car dealers in town, I don't believe there would be a warranty problem as they will be doing the work anyway. There is nothing wrong with the auto box just trying to stop problems in the future. I may notice a difference once it is done, won't know till it is driven afterwards, will let you know.
                            Thanks again.
                            Regards Allan

Comment

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
                              For a big ticket item like the trans (I believe it's over $10k new) I'd be having work done by the dealer. Yes it'll cost a couple hundred more out of your pocket but it's like insurance, if soemthing goes wrong it's their problem rather than yours. With a small business, you'll have a harder time getting a payout and even then you won't have a car for a potentially a couple of months while a new unit is ordered etc whereas you can expect a loaner from a dealer.

At the very least I'd obtain the service manual and fluid from a dealer and provide both to the workshop if you go the non dealer route. I'm certain that in a modern vehicle, servicing the trans isn't as simple as opening it up and changing the filter and filling it with new fluid. Rememeber these are supposed to be sealed for life units. Don't be surprised if there's several parts that can't be reused once it's opened or that opening it voids the warranty on the unit.

Hi,

That's our thinking too.

Had ours done recently at the dealer. No probs at all. If there was, at least you have got a nice platform to return it to re warranty. It's back in the dealer's court!

Cheers,
                              Sally
                              SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X