4WD / Super Select not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD / Super Select not engaging

After my last service (75k service done at 69k) I had CD light flashing issues (see http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...hlight=georgec), then the dealer replaced the 4WD actuator (just over a week ago) and said they had tested the 4WD and all was ok. Today I just went up a off road track to test everything for a trip down to Great Sandy in a few days and none of the 4WD gears lock. It just goes into Neutral. I tried moving at less than 10km and stopped while in Drive. I also tried while in Park. Finally when I went to LLC it did lock but when I stop and change to other 4WD options the wheels don't lock so you rev and it just rolls down the hill...

When I go from P to R/N/D it gives a grinding noise but works fine in 2WD.

I was planning on not going to the dealer any longer but was going to get a basic service done tomorrow at another place...would this issue be something the dealer should fix under warranty especially as it was less than 250km (about 10 days) since they fixed the 4WD actuator? it is 4.2m diesel, NT 2011 74,500km).

are the dash 4 x 4 lights flashing ? or are the dash lights when in 2 wheel drive flashing with or without the center diff light [ orange ] also i would take the vehicle back to the dealer who fitted the actuator and tell him you have had nothing but 4 x 4 troubles since this was fitted. they could have broken a wire or a vacume hose under the vehicle. have them check it out [ free ]
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Just retried it. The 4WD lights were flashing green, when in 2WD the CD orange light did not come on but in 4WD LLC it does (as it should right?). If you go 2WD to 4H (either in P or D) it does not lock in (just goes to neutral) but if you stop and go to LLC it locks. But then the gears crash/grind when I go from P to R/D, and the gears work then, if you stop and go to 4H or 4L but slips if you take it back to 2H. You have to go 4LLC to 2H in P for it to switch back to standard 2H.

I will take it there tomorrow...

Comment

Gday,
        If it an auto, shouldnt you be changing in neutral? I thought auto had to be??
        Cheers,
        Andrew.
        Cheers,
        Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
        Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Thanks, I was in N when shifting and stopped. I was in D and moving when I tried 2h to 4h initially, then stopped and shifted to N then 4HLC and 4LLC when it didn't lock in. Can you damage the car if you do it in P/D/R while stopped? I will have to keep this in mind.

Comment

Note sure, just thought I read somewhere you had to be in neutral. Someone will know.....
            Cheers,
            Andrew.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
            Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Stopped and in neutral only if going from 4HL to 4LL.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

I re-read the book at it says that when STOPPED you have to be in N to switch 2h-4h-4l-4llc (basically any changeover) and moving/d for 2h-4h and 4L as well (which I thought you couldn't). Have to stop-N for 4LLC.

Till this car I always had manual 4WD's.

Comment

If it's only happening post service you're not alone....

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=29444]

Refer my last post on it
                  COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

You can shift 2H to 4H and back when on the move (ease off the power to help it).

Changing to 4HLC or 4LLC (or from) requires stopped and in neutral.
                    2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

Thanks Dazza - I added to that post but then it said it needs to be approved by a moderator. I can't remember all that I said but basically I am very interested in knowing how your issue with regard to showing that something is damaged by 4WDing and thus not warranty is/isn't. If this is a common issue maybe paj owners should file a group case against the dealer network or pajero itself as I am sure the usual excuse is "we would love to claim warranty for you but when we send the part back to MM they will deny it and won't pay us"...

Comment

Make sure you are using the system as detailed in the manual:

1. You can shift between 2H, 4H and 4HLC while moving (tho id only do 4HLC while going slow and the book says to do so and mentions that if its very cold you should stop and use neutral) BUT in order to make any change while moving you need to get off the throttle and be rolling otherwise it wont change.

2. If you are not moving you HAVE to be in neutral to make any change at all or it wont go through until you either start moving then get off throttle or you select neutral.

3. To select 4LLC you MUST be stopped and in neutral.

Id double check you are doing this before chasing the dealership, I know I had to drum it into my head as the instructions above are the only way it will chance modes and you will be left confused why its not working.

I also find if your stopped in neutral and its not changing a slight roll forwards fixes it, I figure its likely because there is pressure on the drive line which is stopping it switching and rolling slightly in neutral allows it to free up. Kind of like how you have to do this to lock and unlock difs sometimes.
                        Hope this helps
                        Last edited by Kumabear; 17-12-13, 09:42 AM.
                        2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

Thanks mate. It was a mechanical issue which they "fixed" for free. It appears that the Actuator does not come with a pin, so when they replaced the actuator they used the old pin which then caused the gear to not fall. They have made a temporary link and I have to get it fixed in Rocky on my way down to Great Sandy as there is no time for the part to be brought up from there or Sydney.

I wish MM kept stocks of parts in FNQ. I am not talking about stocks in small dealerships but at least in Cairns or Townsville where parts are then just not more than a days drive away.
                          Attached Files

Comment

lol I swear I will never be taking my car to MMA unless its warranty.

Pay a premium for a bunch of 16yo 1st year kids to work on my car and learn from their mistakes...

No thanks
                            2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X