Jump starting using a potable pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump starting using a potable pack

Hi, I’m heading out remote for a trip and looking at the portable jump paks, has anyone got one of these and what is it like, ( looking at the adventure kings 1000amp pak $129 delivered

thanks in advance

Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

I've got the Itechworld 2000A model. I was sceptical at first about these jump starters but I've used it a few times now on tractors and on my Pajero a few weeks ago. I wouldn't go anywhere without it now. They currently sell for $350 but I got mine on special last year for $250.
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ

Comment

I have a Gooloo and is always in my NX.

http://www.gooloo.com/products-detail.php?ProId=81
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | Tow Bar | Catch Can | Pre Fuel Filter | EGR Off Module | K&N Filter | Roof Racks | Torque Pro | Tuningkit Race Chip | Auto-Mate (pending install)

Comment

No need to spend big bucks but you do need to be careful of some of the eBay starters. A mate had one and when it was needed to start a Ford Ranger, it didn't have enough power to turn it over. The trouble is that you can't test them on a good battery so you don't know if they'll work until it's too late.

I got this one (1500A) and have started the Paj a couple of times and two other cars, with no problems. $120 delivered but I see they also have a higher powered version for only $10 more.

https://www.amazon.com.au/TrekPow-St...0307918&sr=8-2

Like others have said, I think these are an essential item, particularly for remote or solo travel. I don't think I'd trust the Adventure King model mentioned in the first post. You can get more than 1000A for that money.
        Last edited by Ian H; 1 week ago.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
          No need to spend big bucks but you do need to be careful of some of the eBay starters. A mate had one and when it was needed to start a Ford Ranger, it didn't have enough power to turn it over. The trouble is that you can't test them on a good battery so you don't know if they'll work until it's too late.

I got this one and have started the Paj a couple of times and two other cars, with no problems. $120 delivered but I see they also have a higher powered version for only $10 more.

https://www.amazon.com.au/TrekPow-St...0307918&sr=8-2

Like others have said, I think these are an essential item, particularly for remote or solo travel.
          Thanks for the link, appreciated.

Do you still carry jumper leads?

I reckon the extra $10 will suit me, i think your rite, we are getting touched up in Aussie with prices on these, yesterday i came across a site $29-$35US for these per piece.
          But buy 300-1000 of them.
          Not a bad mark up.

As you say how do you know the good from the bad, is the prob.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Yes, I've still got a set of jumper leads in the car, just because I've had them forever and may as well leave them there.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
              yesterday i came across a site $29-$35US for these per piece.
              But buy 300-1000 of them.
              Not a bad mark up.

As you say how do you know the good from the bad, is the prob.
              Correct, sorting the good from the bad is the trick. There is a chance that even at $29US, those particular units may still not be worth the money.

Presuming the $35US each is for a quantity of 300, what will the cells inside be like? They sound pretty cheap to me.

I also have huge questions about the specifications - 1500 A peak, but it will only start diesels up to 6.5 litres? OK, that's a pretty big engine, but how much power is needed to turn one over?

Some numbers: I believe our 3.2 litre diesel comes from the factory with a starter motor rated at 2.5 kW. How much power would be required to crank something twice that size?

Lets say 5 kW. From a 12V battery, that's a little over 400 A. Let's say the big load is pulling down the battery terminals, so the 5 kW is 500 A at 10V. Yet this 1500 A booster can't boost anything larger. 1500 A at what voltage?

Scrolling down the page a little further, the specs include 3.7 V / 44 W.

If you buy one, and it works for you, happy days.

If these items are so good, why are the specs always so questionable?
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Whether it starts 6.5L diesel motors or not isn't relevant. Mine kicks the Paj over easily and that's all I need it to do.

I figure if their claim at 6.5L is marginal, then starting a 3.2L would be a doddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
                  Hi, I’m heading out remote for a trip and looking at the portable jump paks, has anyone got one of these and what is it like, ( looking at the adventure kings 1000amp pak $129 delivered

thanks in advance

I bought one of these units months ago and have used it once to start a 390 cu.in. Ford Thunderbird without any problems. Actually was about to jump start the Ford with my super heavy duty jumper leads when I remembered I had the unit on board.
                  2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                    Whether it starts 6.5L diesel motors or not isn't relevant. Mine kicks the Paj over easily and that's all I need it to do.

I figure if their claim at 6.5L is marginal, then starting a 3.2L would be a doddle.
                    I agree. The point I was trying to make is that the specifications they supply are simply nonsense.

If these things work so well, and there is plenty of evidence to demonstrate that many of them do, why not publish some useful specifications?
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Agree there mate.

Actually, this thread reminded me and I'm charging mine up again now. It sits idle in the car for too long so every once in a while I like to get it out, charge up the iPad with it and then top it up again.

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

I agree. The point I was trying to make is that the specifications they supply are simply nonsense.

If these things work so well, and there is plenty of evidence to demonstrate that many of them do, why not publish some useful specifications?
                        Do we know whether the 'cheap and cheerful' varieties use the same technology as the expensive ones (ie electrochemical vs electrostatic) ?

Electrostatic energy storage via ultracapacitors is finding its way into vehicle systems (F1, hybrid vehicles) and starting assistance using capacitors has been used in cold climates for ages.

The future may see us all using different storage technology as application becomes more common and cheaper.

Would the weight of the device be a reasonable indication of its capacity (providing we're comparing apples with apples) ?
                        ​​https://www.eetimes.com/how-to-size-ultracapacitors/
                        Last edited by Kingbrown; 1 week ago.
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

I have an SP Tools version (sp6104) which uses an ultracapacitor.

this thing is awesome. I have actually used the flat battery to charge up the capacitors and then used it to start the car! (A Mits 4b11t) as well as my ls3 powered Ute. From memory it was pricey when I got it, but it has never let me down!

cheers haggis

92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

Originally posted by haggis View Post
                            I have an SP Tools version (sp6104) which uses an ultracapacitor.

this thing is awesome. I have actually used the flat battery to charge up the capacitors and then used it to start the car! (A Mits 4b11t) as well as my ls3 powered Ute. From memory it was pricey when I got it, but it has never let me down!
                            That is awesome!

Is it this one? https://www.sptools.com/product-cata...-jump-starter/

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Yep nj swb that’s the one. Has been very handy...
                              92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X