Test drive - what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test drive - what to look for?

I am considering purchasing an NT or NW model and no doubt they would have quite a few kms on the clock already.

Apart from the obvious things, is there anything in particular with those two series that I could inspect for myself or sense whilst driving that I should be on the lookout for?

I have an NW and only 96000klms on it. Have only spent $46 on a brake switch in 7 years. Look for oil leaks in engine bay and under neath. If standard suspension and tow bar fitted then it may need an upgrade. . Depending on mileage the manifold may need a clean. Asl owner about and accessories..ie...catch can fitted? EGR blocked, towed much, check service book. Check tyres for even wear and tread depth. Try and stay under 100,000klms but you will pay around 432-$35,000 for a good NW..Sellers market at the moment.
    Dicko1
    Valued Member
    Last edited by Dicko1; 1 week ago.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
    Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Make sure all the 4WD lights etc do the right thing. Go into 2wd and check just rear LEDs light up. Go into 4H and check all come on. Make sure centre diff light doesn’t flash. You may not be able to check 4HLC or 4LLC unless you have suitable road surface to do so. Otherwise there are a few recalls along the way. Depending on the year make sure the timing chain guide and/or tensioner recalls have been done. Also airbag recalls.
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.

Comment

On the NT, check for rust at the top of the side door frames, inside around/under the channel holding the seal. I believe this issue was fixed on the NW.

If it has done a lot of hard work or heavy towing, check it has had the interim services done, esp. oil, filters & trans fluid (refer service book for details).
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
          Make sure all the 4WD lights etc do the right thing. Go into 2wd and check just rear LEDs light up. Go into 4H and check all come on. Make sure centre diff light doesn’t flash. You may not be able to check 4HLC or 4LLC unless you have suitable road surface to do so.
          Absolutely agree, the Super Select system can be a source of problems, and they can be hard to track down and moderately expensive to fix. But I think it is possible to do a basic check of the full range of modes, including 4HLc and 4LLc even if you cannot go onto a dirt road. It would be enough to check that the SS lights are congruent with the mode selected and there is no funny flashing. If you are on bitumen, then if you drive slowly and in a straight line for only as long as it takes to test the system, then the risk of any substantial transmission wind-up would be minimal.

Having said that, if I were buying a second hand 4WD, then I'd be insisting on at least a little bit of dirt road to test a principal reason you are presumably buying a 4WD: to get a functioning transfer case and centre diff lock. Will the vendor offer this? If not, why not?
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            I have an NW and only 96000klms on it. Have only spent $46 on a brake switch in 7 years. Look for oil leaks in engine bay and under neath. If standard suspension and tow bar fitted then it may need an upgrade. . Depending on mileage the manifold may need a clean. Asl owner about and accessories..ie...catch can fitted? EGR blocked, towed much, check service book. Check tyres for even wear and tread depth. Try and stay under 100,000klms but you will pay around 432-$35,000 for a good NW..Sellers market at the moment.
            Thanks Dicko - good suggestions there. Definitely a sellers market!

Comment

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
              Make sure all the 4WD lights etc do the right thing. Go into 2wd and check just rear LEDs light up. Go into 4H and check all come on. Make sure centre diff light doesn’t flash. You may not be able to check 4HLC or 4LLC unless you have suitable road surface to do so. Otherwise there are a few recalls along the way. Depending on the year make sure the timing chain guide and/or tensioner recalls have been done. Also airbag recalls.
              Thanks Keith - checking the 4WD functionality is on my list and of course, a must, as are the recalls. I presume that they would show up in the service history.

Comment

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                On the NT, check for rust at the top of the side door frames, inside around/under the channel holding the seal. I believe this issue was fixed on the NW.

If it has done a lot of hard work or heavy towing, check it has had the interim services done, esp. oil, filters & trans fluid (refer service book for details).
                Thanks Spot01 - I've seen a few pics of the rust so would definitely check for any signs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post

Absolutely agree, the Super Select system can be a source of problems, and they can be hard to track down and moderately expensive to fix. But I think it is possible to do a basic check of the full range of modes, including 4HLc and 4LLc even if you cannot go onto a dirt road. It would be enough to check that the SS lights are congruent with the mode selected and there is no funny flashing. If you are on bitumen, then if you drive slowly and in a straight line for only as long as it takes to test the system, then the risk of any substantial transmission wind-up would be minimal.

Having said that, if I were buying a second hand 4WD, then I'd be insisting on at least a little bit of dirt road to test a principal reason you are presumably buying a 4WD: to get a functioning transfer case and centre diff lock. Will the vendor offer this? If not, why not?
                  And thanks Pwoffey - all good suggestions too. I would expect all of the transmission positions to work flawlessly with indicator lights to match.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X