How to open very tight wheel nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open very tight wheel nuts?

I am replacing my steel wheels with alloys and the wheel nuts that my mechanic had tightened were so badly tightened that I broke 2 wheel studs in the process. Wheel studs from dealer only cost $10 each but replacing them is painful as brakes and discs have to come off first so that is going to cost me around $50 labour per wheel. To avoid breaking more nuts I decided that I need to loosen up the nuts before trying again. I tried spraying them with WD 40 and silicone grease spray from WD 40 and left it over night but that didn't work either.
    Solution:-
    Finally I came up with an idea to boil kettle if water and slowly pour the boiled water over thenut to see if that loosens up the nut. I tried one litre water on one nut, retried opening it again and it worked like a charm. So since 9pm this evening I had boiled the kettle about 11 times to get 2 wheels changed. It is a lot of patience but it is almost guaranteed to work. Just make sure you pour the boiled water slowly over the nut and also keep the cold water hose running on the tyre where boiling water falls to avoid any tyre damage.
    My other vehicle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p64KvHs5M6Y

NW 2011 3.2 DiD, Safari Snorkel, Bilstien and Lovells 2" lift, Warne WD 9000 Winch, Smartbar, Centre & Rear Diff Lock, Bushskinz Underbody guards, Lightforce Driving lights, Uniden UH7700 NB White CH5T Antenna, Continental Cross Contact 265/65/17/ Bridgestone Dueler D697 LT

Originally posted by amitasdhir View Post
    I am replacing my steel wheels with alloys and the wheel nuts that my mechanic had tightened were so badly tightened that I broke 2 wheel studs in the process. Wheel studs from dealer only cost $10 each but replacing them is painful as brakes and discs have to come off first so that is going to cost me around $50 labour per wheel. To avoid breaking more nuts I decided that I need to loosen up the nuts before trying again. I tried spraying them with WD 40 and silicone grease spray from WD 40 and left it over night but that didn't work either.
    Solution:-
    Finally I came up with an idea to boil kettle if water and slowly pour the boiled water over thenut to see if that loosens up the nut. I tried one litre water on one nut, retried opening it again and it worked like a charm. So since 9pm this evening I had boiled the kettle about 11 times to get 2 wheels changed. It is a lot of patience but it is almost guaranteed to work. Just make sure you pour the boiled water slowly over the nut and also keep the cold water hose running on the tyre where boiling water falls to avoid any tyre damage.
    I have heard that jacking the entire axle (whether it is front or back) can unload any potential tension in the diff. This pre-tension can put a greater load on the studs making it hard to remove the nuts. But if the water is working keep at it!

Comment

Good solution, seems to be working for you. It shouldn't take too much heat to crack the nut from the stud. You could probably get away with using less than 1 litre per nut. The more heat you put into the nut the more will get through to the stud & expand it as well. Might save you some time as well.

Cheers,
      Lance
      '02 NM GLS Man Di-D, 40mm Lift, EFS Coils, HD Front, SD & Polyairs in Rear, EFS Elite Struts & Shocks, Bushskinz Intecooler & Sump Guard, ARB Awning, Rhino 2500 Multi Fit Aero Bars.

Comment

yes the mechanics fun toy; Rattle Gun. they just wake the wheel nut on and press the trigger until they think , that shouldn,t come off.
        allways ask the mechanic [NOT TO USE ] the rattle gun on your wheel nuts, please use the wheel brace only thanks. also apply some water proof marine type grease to the wheel studs before fitting the nuts.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Hey buddy, how tight are we talking? When I rotated the wheels on my NW for the first time they were tight... I did them back up with a torque wrench and the second time around they weren't anywhere near as tight. Have you considered using an electric impact wrench on a lowish setting? Might help loosen them without breaking the studs so easily.

Also, do you do any driving on or near salt water? I've heard that salt water can cause fasteners to become really really hard to undo (read: impossible) if not thoroughly rinsed with fresh water.

I was careful after my beach trip to Bribie Island and I washed my car with loads of water... when I did the second wheel rotation last weekend they came off with about as much effort as they did going on when I did the first rotation.
          2013 NW GLX-R Pajero auto DID - stock as a rock for now!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X