Steering wheel Creeking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel Creeking noise

Hey everyone, just thought I would let anyone who has a my12 Pajero and has a creeking/squeeking noise coming from their steering wheel trim that as I found out today this is covered by warranty and is a "known issue".

Thought I would mention it as its such a small problem that I almost didn't bother mentioning it to my dealer when it went in to fix a leaky windscreen washer thinking they may think I'm insane or being over pedantic.

2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Happens on Gen3s as well. I've had it a couple of times. Don't know what the mechanic did but it was an easy fix apparently.
    2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

Thanks Kumabear, i thought i was the only one with that creeking/squeeking noise only happens when the car is out in the sun and the interior is hot, does not do it in winter.
      NW ironbark Platinum 3.2 DiD Auto, MM Alloy Bull Bar, TX3520 UHF Radio, 175 Narva Driving Lights, Engine Watch Dog, Piranha Dual Battery System, 16 foot olympic javelin caravan.

Comment

Interesting... I have noticed a very faint creaking noise (its kinda higher pitched than a car body creak would be) from the steering area. Definitely more noticeable when the car is warm from sitting in the sun... I might mention it to my dealer when it goes in for its 15k service and hopefully it will get fixed. Not a massive problem as I don't usually notice it.
        2013 NW GLX-R Pajero auto DID - stock as a rock for now!

Comment

I had a creak from the steering wheel / column. Convinced it was in the junction between wheel and column I started ripping things apart. Turned out it was where the column goes through the firewall, quick spray and fixed. My mechanic said that it is common in many cars and common to not work out where it is coming from.
          2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Originally posted by cranky View Post
            Thanks Kumabear, i thought i was the only one with that creeking/squeeking noise only happens when the car is out in the sun and the interior is hot, does not do it in winter.
            It is defiantly related to the heat in the cabin expanding things, the dealer says there is a known issue with the silver spacers on the wheel trim (on the spokes) and the wheel controls moving a bit.

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

Drives me mad. I can't stand rattles and noises in cars. Will get the dealer to look at it next service.
              2012 Platinum 2 Nudge Bar, Tow Bar, Lightforce spotties, Roof racks, Awning with tent, Dual batteries, UHF, Mickey Thompson ATZs...... More to come

Comment

Hi,

Funny you mention this, as ours did it yesterday on the way home from the dealer. It had been sitting windscreen facing the hot sun for a while. Will check it today, but it is annoying!

Cheers,
                Sally
                SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

Originally posted by Kumabear View Post
                  Hey everyone, just thought I would let anyone who has a my12 Pajero and has a creeking/squeeking noise coming from their steering wheel trim that as I found out today this is covered by warranty and is a "known issue".

Thought I would mention it as its such a small problem that I almost didn't bother mentioning it to my dealer when it went in to fix a leaky windscreen washer thinking they may think I'm insane or being over pedantic.

Used to get a steering wheel squeek on my old NM occasionally, although wasn't from wheel itself, but rather the steering column/firewall interface. A quick spray of WD40 around the point of contact used to fix it for quite a while. Hasn't happened on my NW yet though. Still early days I guess. When it does happen, I think it's just the seal drying out and/or hardening.
                  2012 MY12 NW Exceed 3.2 DiD
                  Cool Silver - Nudge Bar - Bonnet Protector - Cargo Liner - Sports Roof Rack Cross Bars - UltraGauge - Bushskinz IC & Sump guards - DVR207GS Dashcam - Trap Mats - EGR Restrictor - Travall Pet Barrier

Comment

Originally posted by BROOMZPAJ View Post
                    Used to get a steering wheel squeek on my old NM occasionally, although wasn't from wheel itself, but rather the steering column/firewall interface. A quick spray of WD40 around the point of contact used to fix it for quite a while. Hasn't happened on my NW yet though. Still early days I guess. When it does happen, I think it's just the seal drying out and/or hardening.
                    The noise I am getting is distinctly a plastic on plastic/rubber squeak or creaking. Very annoying on hot days and even happens if I just hold the wheel and gently push and pull on it, also there is quite a bit of play in the cruise control button plastic section and pushing on this gently creates the noise.

Seems to be a mix of the cruise control part + the silver spacers around the wheel moving slightly and rubbing on the rubber of the wheel, one of these spacers also has a hair line crack in it.

Is going in tomorrow morning now that parts have arrived I will let you all know how it goes.

Wishlist:

Comment

Got car back other day with new steering wheel trim.

No issues at all with creaking anymore, which is awesome as it was slowly driving me insane. Even after car sitting in 35-40c direct sunlight its still silent.

If you are also having issues I would say take it in and hope your dealer is good about it.

Wishlist:

Comment

nt steering wheel creaking

At south tweed Mitsubishi getting creaking steering wheel looked at now

The guys have pulled it apart and are ordering parts

See how it goes

Comment

How did you go? Did they fix it?

Wishlist:

Comment

No they did not , They wanted to charge me $115.00 for there time because they said the steering wheel is not covered buy warranty after 1500ks..

I have made a complaint to MM

see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by mermaidgem View Post
                              No they did not , They wanted to charge me $115.00 for there time because they said the steering wheel is not covered buy warranty after 1500ks..

I have made a complaint to MM

see what happens
                              Camden Vally motors Mitsubishi fixed mine under warranty at 21,000km seems fishy them saying 1500k's...

Wishlist:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X