Returning Pajero owner from a Disco3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning Pajero owner from a Disco3

I used to lurk here when I had an NP manual diesel. We owned it for 2 years and did quite a few long trips in it in that time but very little off road aside from some sand driving in the Pilbara.

Owned a Subaru Outback for a while. A very good car but bland.

Then bought a Disco3 TDV6 SE. Nice vehicle with a very good engine and transmission. Very clever suspension but also potentially very troublesome. I had to replace the lower control arms at less than 80,000km and I find it hard to believe that it should be necessary. It's an expensive job - $1500 in my case.

I've just bought a brand new NW MY2014 VRX DID auto. It feels really good to be back in one. Compared to the Disco it feels more "planted" on the road. It steers better I think but is lower geared in the steering so requires some windmilling in comparison. With the diff lock and a lift it should be pretty good off road but probably not as good as the Disco ultimately because of that brilliant suspension. The Paj motor is definitely a bit agricultural compared with the Disco but noise levels, while considerably more than the Disco, are better than I remember in the NP. It's very well equipped compared with the Disco and the 5 year warranty is a great comfort.

I think I'll be sticking with this one for a while.

Welcome back!
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

smart move mate . Landrover stuff though having some off road appeal is nowhere near japanese quality. the disco i owned ( 1997 ) needed a new engine at 130,000 ( 2000 ) . the Paj i traded it on is 13 years old and still runs like a swiss watch.

Comment

Yeah the Disco is a terrific vehicle in terms of capability but a worry in terms of possible expense. On the whole they seem to be pretty reliable compared to others. However, if you look around the forums, most seem to have their fair share of problems. The problem with the Disco is that if anything does go wrong you're normally up for fairly serious money. Things like LCAs and compressors seem to fail at fairly short intervals too which compounds the whole thing. They also have the odd unusual possible problem like the possibility of spinning bearings because they don't have locating tabs As someone else said somewhere they are the Tattslotto car where the Pajero is the mortgage and two kids car.

The Paj appears to have less failures than the others but this may be because of the way they're used in comparison to the others. I drive with much more peace of mind now than I did before.

Comment

I'm a reasonably capable home mechanic so i dont mind doing odd repairs on cars as they arise . problem with the Disco was that everything that went wrong was expensive and a back to the dealer job, and for a 4 year old car a lot went wrong.
          the plastic coolant tank cracked at Hook Point , just as we were heading back to the ferry. caught it quick enough not to have cooked the new engine. lucky a guy in a Patrol towed us back to the barge . then stuck in Rainbow beach for 3 days while a new $500 tank was couriered up from Brisbane.

I never trusted that Landrover after that episode , sold it the weekend afterwards and bought the Paj. a few small things have gone wrong but the Paj has never been in for major work outside my ability.

Comment

Originally posted by dwwakefield View Post
            I used to lurk here when I had an NP manual diesel. We owned it for 2 years and did quite a few long trips in it in that time but very little off road aside from some sand driving in the Pilbara.

Owned a Subaru Outback for a while. A very good car but bland.

Then bought a Disco3 TDV6 SE. Nice vehicle with a very good engine and transmission. Very clever suspension but also potentially very troublesome. I had to replace the lower control arms at less than 80,000km and I find it hard to believe that it should be necessary. It's an expensive job - $1500 in my case.

I've just bought a brand new NW MY2014 VRX DID auto. It feels really good to be back in one. Compared to the Disco it feels more "planted" on the road. It steers better I think but is lower geared in the steering so requires some windmilling in comparison. With the diff lock and a lift it should be pretty good off road but probably not as good as the Disco ultimately because of that brilliant suspension. The Paj motor is definitely a bit agricultural compared with the Disco but noise levels, while considerably more than the Disco, are better than I remember in the NP. It's very well equipped compared with the Disco and the 5 year warranty is a great comfort.

I think I'll be sticking with this one for a while.
            Can I ask, how did you find the engine noise in the NW??

Comment

yes no comparison between the Landrover and the Pajero. the landy should stay in the cold country of the U.K. not the greatest for our climates.
              NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Its interesting that when you get in the real outback you will see a lot of patrols and parados, and a good number of pajeros. Rarely see a landrover or a volkswagon. Obviously people have more faith in the Japenese cars.
                There are exceptions though, I met a guy at Lake Eyre South who had a volkswagen touareg. Unusual car to have out here I enquired. After a few minutes he mentioned the friend he was touring with who had a Discovery. The obvous question was where is he? Apparently it had broken down and been sent back to civilization on the back of a truck.....
                2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

SuperYOOT, the Pajero engine sounds and to an extent feels agricultural compared to the Disco which is a smooth and quiet unit. Having owned an NP I was ready for that and was pleased to find the NW is quieter than the old NP was. But these choices are always a compromise and I have no regrets about getting a Pajero again. I have looked around the various 4WD forums extensively and it just seems to me that of all the current model 4WDs, the Pajero has the least number of complaints about mechanical failures. That's what I'm after - solid reliability along with adequate off road ability and good long distance cruising characteristics which my NP had in spades.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo2 View Post
                    Its interesting that when you get in the real outback you will see a lot of patrols and parados, and a good number of pajeros. Rarely see a landrover or a volkswagon. Obviously people have more faith in the Japenese cars.
                    There are exceptions though, I met a guy at Lake Eyre South who had a volkswagen touareg. Unusual car to have out here I enquired. After a few minutes he mentioned the friend he was touring with who had a Discovery. The obvous question was where is he? Apparently it had broken down and been sent back to civilization on the back of a truck.....
                    Dealers and service centres have a lot to do with it. If there was a VW or LR centre in every small town, you'd see a lot more of them. But you get the usual three, Toyota, Ford, Nissan, and generally Holden.

Comment

SuperYOOT, the Pajero engine sounds and to an extent feels agricultural compared to the Disco which is a smooth and quiet unit. Having owned an NP I was ready for that and was pleased to find the NW is quieter than the old NP was. But these choices are always a compromise and I have no regrets about getting a Pajero again. I have looked around the various 4WD forums extensively and it just seems to me that of all the current model 4WDs, the Pajero has the least number of complaints about mechanical failures. That's what I'm after - solid reliability along with adequate off road ability and good long distance cruising characteristics which my NP had in spades.
                      Can you comment on interior panel quality, do they rattle on the bumps or is she tight as a drum. One of my favourite cars as a 2007 XT Forester, had the characteristic panel rattle from the boot, but didn't bother me, now it would and I've heard the same noise from an NT Paj and was wondering if they were like that new.

Comment

SuperYOOT, my NW is very new and hasn't been in any rough stuff yet so I can't really comment on how it would hold up but I imagine it would be pretty much like the NP which, on heavy corrugations like those on some of the roads around Broome, would rattle the dash so much you'd think it was going to fall to bits. But it didn't. Once you got back to the smoother stuff it was the same as it had been before. As far as the rest of the car went there were no conspicuous problems or rattles. When I sold it at about 100,000km it was as tight as when I bought it, a real credit to Mitsubishi. It had needed no maintenance other than regular servicing and the starter motor failure that occurred with those earlier models when oil was dropped onto it during oil changes. That was changed under warranty.

In the relatively short time I owned the Disco it never felt as well screwed together as the Paj. The suspension was very comfortable and probably overall better than the Paj but there isn't as much in it as some people would have you believe. However, there is a feeling of fragility sometimes in the suspension/steering. Mine had to have the steering box adjusted, the LCAs changed out and had developed a slight looseness in a tie rod end at the time I sold it. The LCAs are a major expense but the other two are minor. The thing is none of this happened with the NP and I don't expect it will with the NW.

Make no mistake, the Paj is well put together. I've owned three Landcruisers in the past and they were also well put together but no better than the Paj, except the plastic in the Paj is disappointing (capable of being scuffed easily).
                        Like I said before I have no regrets. When I considered reliability, economy, off road ability and value for money I really couldn't go elsewhere.

Comment

When I considered reliability, economy, off road ability and value for money I really couldn't go elsewhere.
                          Agreed. I think that sums up the Paj very well.
                          2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

One of the more common complaints of the gen4 is the dash quality from what I've read, they bounce around all over the place BUT when you get back smooth they feel solid as. There is a fix that supposedly stops it looking like it's gonna jump out of the car when going over corrugations.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=33057
                            MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                            Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Great info, thanks.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X