Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" v 17" off-road tyres for new Pajero

Hi all,

I'm seriously looking at purchasing a new Pajero in the near future and am trying to decide between the GLX-R and VRX. Main issue with the VRX are the standard 18" rims - they look good but not the best size for fitting 4WD tyres. For those of you who purchased a VRX and wanted to fit 4WD tyres, did you find a set of tyres to fit 18" or buy another set of 16"/17" rims?

Cheers,

Dan

Are you buying brand new? If so and you want a VRX, get the dealer to do a deal with 17inch wheels. He/She may be able to swap a set of 17inch from a GLX to put on the VRX.

Otherwise trying to source 17inch factory rims can be quite expensive unless you very lucky, I have seen a couple people on here get a set quite cheap, but mostly a set of 17inch rims will be over a $1000.

17inch will be cheaper than 18inch give you more options of tyres in LT structure and allow to keep a bigger profile tyre without affecting the overall rolling diameter to that of standard 18inch wheels. ie factory tyre size for 18inch is 265/60R18 , the factory 17inch is 265/65R17

Edit: corrected.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Just a note on the comment concerning 16" wheels, I had a nice set of 16" mags with Coopers AT with same stud pattern off my previous 4WD but the 16" rims rubbed on the disc brake caliper so minimum size would 17". I have fitted 265 70 R17 BFG A/T's with no problems to the standard mags.
      2013 MY13 Platinum, Pearl Paint, Colour coded ARB Deluxe winch bar with Tigerz11 12000lb Domin8tr winch, Plasma rope, Lightforce 210 Genesis HID Spotlights, Dual battery, GME 40 Ch UHF. Bushskinz bash plates, Lovells 50mm lift with Bilsteins, BFG 265/70 All Terrains. More to come.

Comment

I'm running Maxxis Bighorn MT-762's in 275/65/R18 LT on my VRX. They were around $320 per tyre fitted at my local Tyrepower. They've been great offroad if a little noisy onroad. Overall I've been happy with them. For the price of putting 17" wheels on instead I figured the price for the Maxxis tyres I am probably still in front.

There were a number of other LT 4wd tyres I considered as well but they were around the $400 - 500 mark in an 18". With the exception of Coopers - they quoted me about $800 per tyre.... Ouch

James
        2010 NT Pajero VRX - O/L 3 loop bullbar, Lightforce Striker 170, Oricom UHF, Lovells Raised Coils & Shocks with Polyair Air Bags, TBA HD towbar with Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller, Maxxis MT-762 Bighorns, Bushskinz intercooler and sump guards, Rhino Track System, Tigerz11 roof basket, Flip N Easy Boat loader, bluetooth obd11 scanner, wireless reversing Camera, Navman MiVue 388 Crash Cam, SPVi EGR Mk3.1, Airtek Snorkel

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy3000 View Post
          I'm running Maxxis Bighorn MT-762's in 275/65/R18 LT on my VRX. They were around $320 per tyre fitted at my local Tyrepower. They've been great offroad if a little noisy onroad. Overall I've been happy with them. For the price of putting 17" wheels on instead I figured the price for the Maxxis tyres I am probably still in front.

There were a number of other LT 4wd tyres I considered as well but they were around the $400 - 500 mark in an 18". With the exception of Coopers - they quoted me about $800 per tyre.... Ouch

James
          How did you find going to larger diameter tires? Any noticeable change in performance? Any issues with torque converter lock-up?
          was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by abw View Post
            How did you find going to larger diameter tires? Any noticeable change in performance? Any issues with torque converter lock-up?
            The biggest thing I noticed was the increase in fuel usage due to the more agressive tread. I haven't really noticed any change in performance although I guess it would be slightly slower off the mark. The speedo now reads a lot closer to my GPS at 100km I've noticed. Haven't had any issues with torque converter lock up except if towing in 5th, and even then I tow in 4th gear high range as per the manual so its not an issue.
            2010 NT Pajero VRX - O/L 3 loop bullbar, Lightforce Striker 170, Oricom UHF, Lovells Raised Coils & Shocks with Polyair Air Bags, TBA HD towbar with Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller, Maxxis MT-762 Bighorns, Bushskinz intercooler and sump guards, Rhino Track System, Tigerz11 roof basket, Flip N Easy Boat loader, bluetooth obd11 scanner, wireless reversing Camera, Navman MiVue 388 Crash Cam, SPVi EGR Mk3.1, Airtek Snorkel

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy3000 View Post
              The biggest thing I noticed was the increase in fuel usage due to the more agressive tread. I haven't really noticed any change in performance although I guess it would be slightly slower off the mark. The speedo now reads a lot closer to my GPS at 100km I've noticed. Haven't had any issues with torque converter lock up except if towing in 5th, and even then I tow in 4th gear high range as per the manual so its not an issue.
              Same. More fuel due to the tyre and increased hight. Other an that. Love the size.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Dan Hi,
                When I bought my NW VRX a few months ago,the dealers were only too happy to swap the wheels & tyres over at no charge.
                Mike.

Comment

Cheers fellas, appreciate the responses. Forewarned is forearmed!

Dan

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X