Off road hitch and Wd bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off road hitch and Wd bars

Hi Guys, I have recently converted from an 03 prado to a brand new my 14 GLXR pajero and loving it.
    I have an off-road goldstream storm caravan with a tregg hitch on it. I would like to keep the hitch on it as my driveway is quiet steep. I don't plan on going off-road with it, and I know I would have to take the bars off before going up and down the drive.
    Does anyone have any photos of there set up with the tregg hitch and Wd bars fitted.

HI,

We use WD bars with our AL-KO Offroad hitch, no problems.

Sure someone will have the Tregg to answer your specific query.

Just take them off for very undulating work. No prob on the blacktop.

Cheers,
    Sally
    SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

G'day Major (sir ),

Welcome to the forum.

I posted pix of my Paj & Goldstream full van with Hyland offroad hitch & HR WDH here: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...2&postcount=16

A Tregg setup would be very similar. Note that the WDH pictured is the 'Standard' series with the curved torsion bars to fit under the A-frame in tight turns. The 'Classic' series bars are straight.

By 'storm' I assume you mean camper not caravan?

I had a Tregg on my Goldstream Sovereign camper but it didn't require a WDH.
      Last edited by boritz; 11-12-13, 06:26 PM.
      Cheers,
      Dave.
      NW GLX-R MY13 3.2 DiD auto.
      2016 Concept Innovation 600R caravan

Comment

Thanks for the photos. My van is the camper style. I could get away without the bars but if I can lessen the strain on the car and the penjahlom effect a bit would be good. The vans ball is about 130-140 kg.

Comment

I am still having a similar problem with a hitch to fit my new Pajero to tow a Supreme Getaway. The hitch on the caravan is about 550mm off the ground is this is really causing clearance problems. I also would like to fit WDH bars and look like I am going with an Ozhitch, and then have to purchase new WDH bars as there is on one type suitable evidently. The whole thing is doing my head in a bit, and has taken the gloss of having a new vehicle.
          Boritz, would you know how high your hitch sits when set up? say to the top of the ball?
          This may help Majorp(sir) as well.
          Cheers
          Greg

Comment

G'day Greg,

Originally posted by Gregory.eather View Post
            ...how high your hitch sits when set up? say to the top of the ball?...
            Original Paj suspension & tyres.

565mm to top of ball (ball has the high base to suit the Hyland hitch).

490mm to WDH ball mount face (the surface that approximately matches the bottom edge of your van ball hitch when level).
            The bottom of my van's Hyland hitch is 510mm when level.

HR suggest matching that height or the next lower bolt hole in the WDH (which mine is in).

My WDH head is cammed-back (away from the Paj) one increment to set the tension right - this also lowered the ball a smidge.

[edit: thinking about Majorp's camper Tregg - that could be more of a problem because the towbar Tregg bracket and pin are quite high. Either use the MM supplied drop-tongue without a WDH for the camper, or change the camper to use a DO35 or Hyland hitch. I should add that when I had a camper & Tregg I did not have the Paj.]

I have the Mitsi spare wheel lift kit which raises the bottom of the tyre to the same level as the bottom of the door.

As you can see in my pix I have no trouble opening the door.

On our last trip I helped a fellow Paj owner adjust his HR WDH and off-road van with Hyland. Before that the poor chap couldn't even open it a 'crack'. Afterward he could open it no worries and the whole rig sat beautifully.
            Last edited by boritz; 13-12-13, 12:26 PM. Reason: Added Tregg comment.
            Cheers,
            Dave.

Comment

Thanks Boritz,
              That's really good information. I have read a lot about the problem with clearance but had not seen actual ball heights. Thanks again!
              Cheers
              Greg

Comment

No worries Greg - hope it helps.

You can probably add another 5mm to those heights. I rotated my tyres today (not part of the 15,000Km service) and the rears are already about half worn. I'm no lead-foot, just van towing.

I've not been generally very impressed with new vehicle OEM tyres - plan to switch the Paj to Bridgestone 697 AT LT's like I had on my last 4WD when these have done their dash.
                Cheers,
                Dave.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X