NS vs NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS vs NT

Just borrowing a co-workers car while he takes my Patrol out west for work, and it's an NS VRX - Goes good but thought the diesel was pretty ordinary compared to the GU, is their a spec change in NW? Because I like the look and features of the NW VRX but not if it drives like this NS, it does have 180,000kms on it, but the patrol is nearly 150,000 and feels like a generation ahead in terms of quality and refinement which is ironic given it is actually the other way around.

They are a different beast. Nt got more power
    NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

Recently traded an NS for NW and wow! What a difference, more power, improved fuel economy and soooo! Quiet!
      Cheers Richard

NW 2013 Pajero VRX, Thule roof bars with kayak holder, ARB Awning, AT Maxtrex tyres, window tinting, tinted Pajero bonnet protector, tow bar, dash mat, ARB colour coded deluxe Bullbar, Icom 440 UHF under dash with controls on hand piece, GME antenna, Primus IQ brake controller, OME suspension lift 40mm, IPF 900XS Etreme spots, Safari snorkel, Diff breathers

Comment

OK - just to confirm, what do I look for to confirm this is an NS that I am driving?

Comment

If the rear door has a key lock hole in it it is an NS, no key hole its an NT.
          NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperYOOT View Post
            Just borrowing a co-workers car while he takes my Patrol out west for work, and it's an NS VRX - Goes good but thought the diesel was pretty ordinary compared to the GU, is their a spec change in NW? Because I like the look and features of the NW VRX but not if it drives like this NS, it does have 180,000kms on it, but the patrol is nearly 150,000 and feels like a generation ahead in terms of quality and refinement which is ironic given it is actually the other way around.
            I'm pretty happy with my NS DiD, I've driven my mate 3.0L GU Diesel, and it was gutless in comparison. Can't comment on the 4.2L though that may be a different kettle of fish.
            The NT got an improvement in hp from the NS from 124kW to 147kW , plus a little better noise refinement.
            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Originally posted by craka View Post
              I'm pretty happy with my NS DiD, I've driven my mate 3.0L GU Diesel, and it was gutless in comparison. Can't comment on the 4.2L though that may be a different kettle of fish.
              The NT got an improvement in hp from the NS from 124kW to 147kW , plus a little better noise refinement.
              Agree the NS has more torque (about 10%) but rough and noisey in comparison to the smooth CRD in the current GU, also the NS is about 500kg lighter which makes most of the difference.

Feels like a tin can compared to the GU but ultimately a much nicer bit of gear. Can't wait to try a NW, think I prefer this over the LC150 at the moment.

Umm, just checked and there is no key hole... this doesn't seem right.

Comment

Feels like a tin can compared to the GU but ultimately a much nicer bit of gear.
                The Paj may feel like a tin can but in an accident, I would much rather be in the Paj than a GU Patrol. The GU may be heavy and look tough but if you look at the ANCAP reports..... The GU ain't as strong as it looks!
                Cheers, Dan.
                2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Agree the NS has more torque (about 10%) but rough and noisey in comparison to the smooth CRD in the current GU, also the NS is about 500kg lighter which makes most of the difference.

Feels like a tin can compared to the GU but ultimately a much nicer bit of gear. Can't wait to try a NW, think I prefer this over the LC150 at the moment.

NS Pajero LWB kerb weight2170kg.

GU kerb weight 2,480 kg.

Patrol
                  Max Power 118kW @ 3600 RPM Max Torque 354Nm @ 2000 RPM
                  According to the spec sheet has a four speed auto.

Pajero 310 kg lighter, more KW and more torque.

Comment

My mate traded in his GU 4.8L for a New NT Pajero Diesel to tow his 2T boat, he said it tows the boat better than the old GU Plus a Lot more Economical and more Comfortable to drive.
                    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

A stock NS will kill a diesel patrol of any guise off the line to 100kmph.
                      Ye cannae change the laws of physics!
                      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

There was another post on here a while ago about determining the model. It seems that on the compliance plate the vehicle number will start with two letters. NS models start with NS, NT start with NT ... and so forth.

Agree the NS has more torque (about 10%) but rough and noisey in comparison to the smooth CRD in the current GU
                        I was surprised at this comment. I test drove a couple of 3l CRD ST Patrols a few years ago. I really like the look of them, and all the mods that you can do to them. The dual live axles have their benefits off road, but on road I didn't think it cornered well and was unresponsive. I didn't think there was much in it in terms of the interior finishings, which is what I assume you mean by 'rough'.

In terms of noise I can't remember a significant difference either way, but I guess it depends which models you're comparing. The NT/NW are definitely a lot quieter than the previous models, but even within a model I've noticed a difference between the bottom of the range and top of the range (ie GLX vs Exceed) in terms of how much sound proofing goes into them. I'm assuming the same would apply to the Patrol range.
                        2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

I am assuming this example is abp bit old and not representative of a newer model, will definitely have to test drive a NW.

I never implied the GU was better but it is built strang and doesn't rattle, the NT to NS I have is not unlike a 1990s Camry, just a bit floppy in appearance. All the controls a cheap and wiggly, and make a Fischer Price plastic sound to them.

I can't ditch the Patrol fast enough, but it is so well screwed together you really notice it when driving the competition.

I'll check the compliance plate tomorrow. I hope this is an NS.

Comment

Just borrowing a co-workers car while he takes my Patrol out west for work, and it's an NS VRX - Goes good but thought the diesel was pretty ordinary compared to the GU,
                            Sorry but this directly implies that an NS Pajero engine is ordinary compared to a ZD30. Not many people would make that comment. Only one eyed Nissan lovers.

I have driven the ZD30 Patrol and thought it was noisy and sluggish as the motor was working bloodly hard to get the Patrol moving.

Not bagging Patrols (love them) at all but the ZD30, common rail or not is lacking power for the size of the beast it is pushing.

Just my opinion.
                            .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                              Sorry but this directly implies that an NS Pajero engine is ordinary compared to a ZD30. Not many people would make that comment. Only one eyed Nissan lovers.

I have driven the ZD30 Patrol and thought it was noisy and sluggish as the motor was working bloodly hard to get the Patrol moving.

Not bagging Patrols (love them) at all but the ZD30, common rail or not is lacking power for the size of the beast it is pushing.

Just my opinion.
                              Totally agree - but I just checked the compliance plate and it is an NT, so if this is the wizbang 147kw motor then I am disappointing. Maybe I expected too much, but my 5 year old CRD Patrol (with new pedal, they go better with the new wiring loom recall and pedal) is smoother and quieter than this particular NT. My GU weighs 2700kg empty at several weigh bridges so it's no wonder it feels solid.

The NT goes much harder, but not as much as I thought, but I just can't get past the tractor noise, the Patrol sounds like a 6 cyl 4L motor, the Pajero sounds like a 2L Euro hatchback (but performance is the other way around of course).

I don't want another Patrol, they are ok but slow, but it is screwed together so well and much quieter inside than the NT (outside the Patrol is louder though), I'll try a brand new NW but if it's similar I'm going to have to go back to plan a and try a Prado, I know how quiet they are but the NW is so much better equipped.

I have also been spoilt by a D4 for the last 4 years, now that is refinement when it comes to diesels! But at 150,000km it just shat one of its turbos.... We all know what that is going to cost Not mine fortunately but part of my business so I get to use it and see it's progress.
                              Last edited by SuperYOOT; 13-12-13, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X