Inlet air temps when towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlet air temps when towing

Hi We have been towing a 2200kg van for a few weeks. I notice a huge variation with inlet air temps on the scangauge. Cruising with no van they sit around 55 to 65 degrees, cruising with van maybe 80 and uphill on a 35 degree day they easily get to 120 if you push it. To me this is too high and indicates the inter cooler is too small. My previous car a TD5 Disco never went over 80 in any situation.
    I don't have an EGT monitor, that would be interesting as well.
    What do you all think?
    Regards Gordo

NW 2012 Activ DiD Auto, Graphite Grey, Full tint, H/D tow bar, Rear Diff Lock & A/C, TJM snorkel, TJM 50mm lift, TJM Bullbar & TJM Winch, XRay HiD Lights, BFG A/T KO2 265/70/17, HF VHF & UHF, IC400 Pro, Dual battery system, Dynamat.

Originally posted by gaudough View Post
    Hi We have been towing a 2200kg van for a few weeks. I notice a huge variation with inlet air temps on the scangauge. Cruising with no van they sit around 55 to 65 degrees, cruising with van maybe 80 and uphill on a 35 degree day they easily get to 120 if you push it. To me this is too high and indicates the inter cooler is too small. My previous car a TD5 Disco never went over 80 in any situation.
    I don't have an EGT monitor, that would be interesting as well.
    What do you all think?
    Gordo,

I have the same problem. I have also noticed that AIT's never go any higher then 120c. My turbo boost also decreases to about 13 psi when the AIT's are around 115c causing a noticeable power loss. My EGT's can also go over 800deg.
    I think we may need bigger better intercoolers.

Tim
    2010 NT Activ 3.2 Diesel Auto White.
    OME Deluxe Bar, OME Sports Suspension, LR Aux Tank, 2xBushSkinz, MM Tow kit, ClearView Tow Mirrors, Scotts Rods 3" Exhaust, Mickey Thompson ATZ Rubber, Spare Tyre Lifter, Nite Stalker Driving Lights, Body Protection Kit, GME TX3340 UHF, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ultra Gauge EM, Dual Batt & Redarc Isolator, Thule X'bars, Front & Rear Wet Seat neoprene covers, Black Sandgrabber mats. OzHummer's MMCS overide & iPod kit.... So far....

Comment

A bigger intercooler will not lower EGT's. Quiet the opposite.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
        A bigger intercooler will not lower EGT's. Quiet the opposite.
        Sorry Goodsy but I have to disagree.
        A drop in inlet temps usually corresponds with similar EGT temp drops.
        The real difficulty lies in fitting a larger intercooler in the space available which is nearly impossible.
        Perhaps a thicker intercooler core but that would be about the only way to make it physically larger.
        Regards Andrew.
        2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

You could fit an intercooler water misting spray.
          16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
          10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

bigger intercooler, therfore cooler air, thus a bigger bang.. = more egts.

keeping the engine temp down is the key here, as these directly affect the egt temps. so a radiator that is 3 cores or so is way better...

a separate gearbox cooler may help here too.

then there is the fan, you can get one that spins at 80% or so of engine rpm, tho warning it will be correspondingly louder.

also blocking of the egr valve will lower egts..

then there is a bigger exhaust, and free flow cats that will help here too...
            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Here are my thoughts:
              Bigger intercooler giving cooler intake air will lower EGT's. Regardless of intake temp, there will always be a set maximum boost pressure felt at the intake manifold, controlled by the wastegate.
              I think this pressure is about 19psi for a Gen 3 DiD. Hot day, cold day, doesn't matter, you will always get 19psi at the intake manifold. However on a hot day, the turbo will be working harder to get the pressure up to 19psi, hence generating even more heat. Regardless, the same air pressure will be rammed into the cylinders, only the air temperature changes. Cooler air in will equal lower EGT's.
              A water spray as Pat suggests is a good cheap solution to increase the cooling capacity of the factory intercooler.
              Blocking the EGR won't lower EGT's as the EGR valve remains shut at anything above a low RPM cruise or at idle so it effectively taken out of the system at full noise anyway. EGR block will actually raise EGT's at idle...
              Bigger exhaust will definitely lower EGT's by all reports I have heard.
              Cheers, Dan.
              2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
                bigger intercooler, therfore cooler air, thus a bigger bang.. = more egts.
                Sorry Easykill, but you are wrong.
                Cooler air is denser air and a diesel won't produce any extra power until you add fuel to maximise the benefit of the denser air available.
                Unlike petrol engines, diesels don't run lean but they do run oxygen rich. It's overfueling that produces excess heat for diesels.
                I do have a fair bit of experience with intercooling as I've built some very custom units for very big horsepower cars.
                Regards Andrew.
                2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

High performance intercooler.

High Performance Diesel make a replacement intercooler for NT/NW Pajero's claimed to reduce AIT's and increase overall performance. It costs about $1300 and is a bolt in DIY direct replacement for the OEM intercooler.
                  I am not aware of any forum members that have installed one.
                  2010 NT Activ 3.2 Diesel Auto White.
                  OME Deluxe Bar, OME Sports Suspension, LR Aux Tank, 2xBushSkinz, MM Tow kit, ClearView Tow Mirrors, Scotts Rods 3" Exhaust, Mickey Thompson ATZ Rubber, Spare Tyre Lifter, Nite Stalker Driving Lights, Body Protection Kit, GME TX3340 UHF, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ultra Gauge EM, Dual Batt & Redarc Isolator, Thule X'bars, Front & Rear Wet Seat neoprene covers, Black Sandgrabber mats. OzHummer's MMCS overide & iPod kit.... So far....

Comment

Hi guys

I was having similar AIT problems! After inspecting the manifold while doing some upgrades inc a catch can I decided to clean out the intercooler and WOW the crap that came out of it! While I was at it I fitted twin thermos to it and a water spray . Its now the closest to ambient temp it's ever been and it's generally running 10-15deg cooler during normal driving. Previous min temp was 38deg at normal (just warmed up) eng temp, 83-87 deg coolant.

Comment

Interesting little thread that highlights many misconceptions that people have about diesels. Misconceptions I used to share some years ago, but I was soon enogu educated in the correct ways in which to think about diesel performance.

Great and simple advice from Wakeboarder too. Do the easy things before getting too involved in replacement intercoolers etc.
                      2014 NW with OL bar, 9,500lb winch, Bushskinz, TJM dual battery kit, UHF, Outback drawers, ARB compressor, MSA fridge slide with Evakool fridge, 55mm lift and rear airbags, water tank and pump.

Comment

Hi,

When I had my NT it was showing similar Inlet Air Temps to those reported above. It worried me when the IAT got much over 100 so I backed off power, usually corresponded to the water temp getting close to 100C also.

With the NW I have the SPV EGR mod and on our recent trip the highest IAT I saw was 80C going up a very steep range on a 28C day. Water temps never rose on the whole trip, always just sat at the same point of around 80C. I'm not saying the SPV mod is the cure, but it did seem to make a difference for me.

Cheers,
                        Karl
                        Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

Hi Wakeboarder
                          How have you set up your thermo fans do they run all the time or are they on a manual switch or some other type of switching .I have a intercooler sprayer that i made from a washer bottle a some garden irrigation pipe with three spray heads .just cable tied it to the front sway bar works a treat .When AIT gets up around 90deg I just give it a squirt for a few seconds and down comes the temp.

regards steve
                          NT GLX DID AUTO. 2'' HD Lovells Bilsteins Polyairs, Whiteline Swaybars Prodigy3 ,Dual Battery Redarc Isolator ,Ultraguage ,Eazlift WDH.AirtechSnorkel,No Limits Chip,Clearview Mirrors,Donaldson Fuel Filter.Abr Battery Monitor,Oricom UHF,Arb steel bullbar,Arb 9000xs Driving Lights,Homemade Rear Shelf with Waeco Fridge Slide,Anderson Plug, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard ORU 12000lb Dyneema Winch,2.75 IN Beaudesert exh,SPV MK3

Towing 22FT IMPERIAL CHATEAU

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X