X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a snorkel?

Another question from a man in search of answers

Other threads just tend to debate on what brand is best

If I buy a new NW Pajero how vital would it be to have a snorkel?
    In other words, do these vehicles ingest water easily if I have to water up to the top of the wheels.

I have never been in the camp of them being better for dust (unless fitted with a precleaner bowl).
    MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
    ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
    TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
    Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

If you're asking this question I would say yes.
    $600 if you get a known brand fitted to save a engine damage of $15000+.
    Cheap insurance
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

I have had some scary moments crossing creeks without a snorkel fitted. Had an Amarok drown after following me through a creek, I reckon another 100 or 200mm deeper and I would have been drowned also!

I don't do a lot of creek/river crossings in my daily driving, but I 'd rather have a snorkel fitted for the times when you are on an adventure and there is a creek/river between you and the side you want to get to!
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

The Paj air intake is pretty high up for a factory intake (just above the grille) but if you are considering some deep crossings a snorkel is good insurance.

I don't do many crossings (side step height is about it) so I don't have a snorkel yet.
        2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

It only takes one unplanned puddle or hole to potentially spoil your weekend......as the amarok found out.

I have had 2 unplanned moments when the bottom of rim height puddle turned into a bow wave above the bonnet.

I have a snorkel now for piece of mind.

Only you can decide if you need the insurance or not. It is not vital, but then again, neither is insurance.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

I had an MK Triton with no snorkel. Lost traction in a mudhole with water up to indicator height on bullbar on one side, below bottom of doors on the other side.

Apart from having to strip the whole interior out and clean it, the engine rebuild cost $5000.

If you're going anywhere near water I'd fit a snorkel. Much cheaper than the rebuild.

Downside is that for the NW there are no aftermarket versions available so it's Safari or TJM only at their grossly inflated prices.
            Chris

Comment

TJM (AirTec) at under $600 fitted I think is quite reasonable. Great product to.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                TJM (AirTec) at under $600 fitted I think is quite reasonable. Great product to.
                Last quote I had was closer to $800! (TJM Geebung).
                2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

Maybe a dedicated front tarp might be of some insurance if your not going through water/mud all the time. They say you should put one on anyway if going thru bonnet deep water. Unless your one of those blokes that doesn't get out and check water depth or couldn't be bothered to find another way round then yes get one, I wonder how many of these people who say getting a snorkel is mandatory but then don't extend the diff/gearbox/transfer case breathers. Add up the cost of all those things failing and your getting close to an engine rebuild cost. I had the chance to get one last week as my local tjm had a sale but I think that $568 could have been used elsewhere.
                  I agree with you on the dust and crap getting down the snorkel much easier then the original air intake position
                  2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                    I got my TJM one done recently and it cost $640. Cheap insurance.
                    NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

I think the obvious reason here for a snorkel is that are you driving in dusty conditions. Snorkels are for dust not for water, they are not water tight. You can make it fairly close but unless you pressure test it you and the rest of the intake system could let water in. And you only need a tiny particle to enter a diesel and she'll bend a rod or seize. Your insurance will have a hard time understanding how water still got in if you have a snorkel fitted then if you don't. Our work wrote of a hilux in 8 inches of water because the intake is below the front headlight and points down to the road, yep, and she stopped said, three months old. But insured because we drove through a puddle on the road. If there was a snorkel fitted and it leaked in three feet if water your done.

But it is better than nothing but and you get more tangible benefits from breathing clean air. But I still find it cheaper to replace the dusty filter ever service than invest $700.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperYOOT View Post
                        But it is better than nothing but and you get more tangible benefits from breathing clean air. But I still find it cheaper to replace the dusty filter ever service than invest $700.
                        This is where I disagree on the effectiveness of a snorkel. Why is the air dust free at the top of the A pillar and not at the front edge of the bonnet. Whenever I drive in dust it is higher the the bonnet.

I am thinking a snorkel may be not be needed with a Pajero, a blind may do the job of protecting the intake.

This were I get confused with so many telling me I need a snorkel or I will kill the engine in a puddle.
                        MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
                        ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
                        TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
                        Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

Comment

Been through plenty of puddles, but MMA say wading depth of the Paj is 700mm. I must admit, I'd be a little nervous in that depth myself, that's 100mm over the top of my 17" rims, halfway up my thighs. Although, I'm not that tall. lol.
                          Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
                          Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

I just changed my air filter being 1 year old and in all fairness it probably needed changing. But I have not cleaned it all year however I am 98% tar driver. I'd like to know has anyone since installing a snorkel noticed anymore or less dirt on the filter/filter box area??
                            Last edited by saj; 19-12-13, 07:32 PM.
                            2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

This puddle would have ingested my engine if not for a snorkel,
                              You never know when you will need it, cheap "whoops" insurance if you ask me.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...0&d=1384690912
                              99 NL Exceed Manual, TJM Alloy bar, 33" Summit Mud Hogs, 7" HID spots, 18" LED Lightbar, Uniden UH7760, snorkel, 13,000lb rope winch.
                              Rear telescopic LED light and Hi Lift Jack, 3 X 2.5M awning, Treds.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X