Fitting Airbags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Airbags

I have done a search but cannot find where this has been documented.

Can someone advise on fitment of airbags to a NW, hard / easy ?.

Details would be appreciated.

Jim
    2012 NW 'ACTIV' ARB suspension, Dual Battery system,Hella 'Compact' driving Lamps. Polyair air bags

I think if you jack it up high enough and unbolt the shock the spring should come out and you can fit it. I have them in another 4WD with solid axel and the are brilliant. Will definitely consider fitting if I upgrade to an NW.

Comment

Yep, if you have a decent trolley jack and a couple of axle stands, fitment of airbags to an IRS Paj is relatively straight forward.
      Here are some threads that will help you out.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=26713
      http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=33390
      http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=25112
      http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=26713

If you have any questions, fire away....
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Large trolley jack under the diff, get the wheels off the ground. Stick some stands under incase the jack fails. Wheels off, undo shock nut and bolt and remove. Stick a smaller jack under lower control arm and remove nut and bolt from hub end. Slowly lower the control arm until the spring is out. You then need to drill a hole in the top spring mount to feed the airline through, follow the instructions.run your airlines and install the bag in the spring, put the spring back in and start jacking the lower control arm back up, it will have moved rear wood so as you jack you need to push the jack forward to line the arm up with the hub. With a bit of jiggling and pushing line up the hole and put the control arm bolt back in. Then the shock bolt, that's it and then same for the other side. Don't think I missed anything

Comment

^^^^
          In only a few lines, Brett has pretty much summed it up!
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
            Large trolley jack under the diff, get the wheels off the ground. Stick some stands under incase the jack fails. Wheels off, undo shock nut and bolt and remove. Stick a smaller jack under lower control arm and remove nut and bolt from hub end. Slowly lower the control arm until the spring is out. You then need to drill a hole in the top spring mount to feed the airline through, follow the instructions.run your airlines and install the bag in the spring, put the spring back in and start jacking the lower control arm back up, it will have moved rear wood so as you jack you need to push the jack forward to line the arm up with the hub. With a bit of jiggling and pushing line up the hole and put the control arm bolt back in. Then the shock bolt, that's it and then same for the other side. Don't think I missed anything
            Only two things I could add would be to insure you have full weight of the vehicle on the ground then tighten the bolts. This is to stop tearing the centre out of the lower shock bush and control arm bush. And also insure the the spring insulator rubbers are in good condition and fitted correctly (Bottom one will be worn out if the vehicle has done a few K's). I fitted a TJM suspension and a set of Poyairs to my NT the other day. Raised it 90mm in the front a 55mm in the rear with 5psi in the bags.
            NT GLS Manual.

Comment

just one other suggestion when trying to get the lower control back into position
              i find a ratchet strap is the safest way to pull it back forward into place.
              steve
              NT GLX DID AUTO. 2'' HD Lovells Bilsteins Polyairs, Whiteline Swaybars Prodigy3 ,Dual Battery Redarc Isolator ,Ultraguage ,Eazlift WDH.AirtechSnorkel,No Limits Chip,Clearview Mirrors,Donaldson Fuel Filter.Abr Battery Monitor,Oricom UHF,Arb steel bullbar,Arb 9000xs Driving Lights,Homemade Rear Shelf with Waeco Fridge Slide,Anderson Plug, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard ORU 12000lb Dyneema Winch,2.75 IN Beaudesert exh,SPV MK3

Towing 22FT IMPERIAL CHATEAU

Comment

Thanks all think I get the general drift. Seems fitting the Lower Control Arm back in will be the tricky bit.

Jim
                2012 NW 'ACTIV' ARB suspension, Dual Battery system,Hella 'Compact' driving Lamps. Polyair air bags

Comment

Originally posted by Pajero1947 View Post
                  Seems fitting the Lower Control Arm back in will be the tricky bit.

Jim
                  Yeah, it's probably the trickiest bit but it isn't difficult by any means.
                  I had my front wheels chocked so the car couldn't rock off the jack stands and just put a bit of forward pressure on the lower control arm with my foot, pushing forward until the control arm met up with the hub again.
                  Cheers, Dan.

Comment

I did mine the easier way by as others have said, jacking the body up until the wheels just leave the ground.
                    Smear the airbag in washing up liquid, sqeeeeze the bag as flat as possible then push it in through the open coils upside down.
                    This way the air line is at the bottom.
                    Route the air line up out of the way covered in split conduit and out to where you are mounting the filler valves.

I used this method after reading it on the Gen 4-2 NT section 3 or 4 years ago and have done 75,000 Km since with no problems.

Maybe there's a problem with that method but I haven't found it.

It maybe said that clearance could be a problem where the line comes out the bottom but it is no lower than any of the suspension and if it is tied close into the lower arm it's unlikely to get jagged.
                    Regards.....Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commodore View Post
                      I did mine the easier way by as others have said, jacking the body up until the wheels just leave the ground.
                      Smear the airbag in washing up liquid, sqeeeeze the bag as flat as possible then push it in through the open coils upside down.
                      This way the air line is at the bottom.
                      Route the air line up out of the way covered in split conduit and out to where you are mounting the filler valves.

I used this method after reading it on the Gen 4-2 NT section 3 or 4 years ago and have done 75,000 Km since with no problems.

Maybe there's a problem with that method but I haven't found it.

It maybe said that clearance could be a problem where the line comes out the bottom but it is no lower than any of the suspension and if it is tied close into the lower arm it's unlikely to get jagged.
                      I think the only issue is the air line has to move, stretch and compress with the up and down movement of the control arm, but if you have had no troubles then this obviously isn't a major issue.

When the air line is at the top it is rigid and fixed and should last forever, but I have found the fittings to be the weak spot in the system, and can leak easily if not perfectly fitted and aligned. Otherwise the system is far better than fitting HD Springs and stuffing with the limited travel and wheel alignment range of a lift.

Comment

SuperYOOT I know where you are coming from and agree about the fittings being the weak spot.
                        That's why I have tied the lines very tight as soon as they leave the bags without making the turn too tight out of the bag and bending the bag outlet (?) tube (nipple is probably the correct word).
                        The lines have been left quite lengthy over the axle and through to the towbar.
                        As almost half of my K's are done towing a 2500 Kg van I have in the last few months had a 50mm lift done but the air bags put that action off for a couple of years before the springs got a bit squashy.
                        Whatever method of install, I wouldn't hesitate fitting bags to my next car for the reasons you mentioned.
                        Regards.....Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperYOOT View Post
                          Otherwise the system is far better than fitting HD Springs and stuffing with the limited travel and wheel alignment range of a lift.
                          We don't have any wheel travel.
                          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Sorry have a further question for those that have personally fitted airbags to their NW . There is a large bolt coming through the top spring mount that
                            ends in a point , what stops this from piercing the airbags as I assume with spring movement and the bag being inflated the bag will come in contact with this bolt.

Comment

The plastic mount that comes with the bag is thicker than the bolt is long
                              2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X