Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Chemical way to clean the manifold?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Chemical way to clean the manifold?

    My NW has done nearly 80,000km and I have just fitted a plug-in EGR mod after reading about them on this forum

    But am concerned that the exhaust manifold may already be clogged up, and so would like to use a chemical clean if theat is possible rather than removal and sandblast as I presume others have done

    Any ideas, comments etc?

    David

  • #2
    I posted this in the other EGR clean thread. In the vid they physicaly cleand the manifold but they say doing this every 30,000km or so you shouldn't have too. Haven't had it done my self. I asked the same question a while back on here and didn't really get any from anyone who had done it this way either. http://youtu.be/xeGbiB6hYXU
    Sold 2004 PA Challenger
    Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

    Comment


    • #3
      Any Chemical way to clean the manifold?

      Mis read question. Edit post

      I think I'd prefer to remove and clean so I could see if it was clean. Not just take a labels word that the product works.

      Comment


      • #4
        Many will say to remove the inlet manifold and clean it manually to be sure that it's all it can be.
        Many will say the solutions you can spray into the inlet manifold while the engine is running will have little to no effect and could actually damage things if big chinks come away.
        While all this is good advice, I've yet to see any real conclusive evidence the spray in stuff doesn't work without major dismantling of engine parts (eg,removal of IM etc)

        My NT shows no signs of having the inlet manifold off or an EGR blank being fitted by the PO
        Shortly after we got the Paj, I did the $1 resistor mod to it so that the EGR stays shut.
        I have no idea of what is on the inside of the IM as I've not pulled it off yet/seen it

        I've used this stuff twice since owning the Paj and intend to pull the IM sometime towards the end of this year so it will be interesting to see if there is any difference between what I expect to see (going by posts on this and other forums, pretty clogged and dirty) and what will actually be there.
        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Quietguy
          I did mine in June, here's mine with 75,000ks worth of gunk. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I added the SPV EGR mod and a catch can 3 years ago. When I first started cleaning the manifold using petrol, degreaser, kero etc. it was very slow going and still left a fair bit behind. But the very best product is Liqui Moly diesel intake decarb. It is designed to be sprayed into the manifold with the engine running. But I just sprayed it onto the manifold and it just dissolved the gunk - its a great product.
          Attached Files
          2010 NT GLX, RD lock, Smartbar, Warn winch, Uniden UHF, Piranha dual battery, Redarc Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz protection

          Comment


          • #6
            I posted this thread a while ago of BG Systems Cleaner. I have no idea if it works, or anyone that's tried it, but MRT have the equipment and can tackle the task.
            NW GLXR
            --------------
            EVO 6 TME

            Comment


            • #7
              resistor mod

              Hi Dhula

              what is the $1 resistor mod? Does it work on an NS?
              Gold VRX Family Pack, Genuine alloy bull bar, super cibie oscar +, Yokohama ATX

              Comment


              • #8
                Many years ago, I had a Range Rover which had previously been owned by a friend. She had it serviced regularly - every 10000 km. Only problem was that it took over 18 monthe to do the 10000 km, so the engine was well and truly gunked up in the oilways. The oil galleries leading to the heads were virtually totally blocked. A mate saw this and then got a 4 gallon drum and a gas ring and poured a heap of OMO into the tine, half filled with water. Boiled it for about an hour or so and the aluminium was sparkling clean. We had to turn the head over because it was longer than the drum, and when finished, we couldn't pick where the overlap of cleaning had been. Come the appropriate time, I will do the same procedure for my inlet manifold on my NW if necessary. I have had the EGR mod virtually since new, so I hope that there will be very little gunk inside.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by erad View Post
                  Many years ago, I had a Range Rover which had previously been owned by a friend. She had it serviced regularly - every 10000 km. Only problem was that it took over 18 monthe to do the 10000 km, so the engine was well and truly gunked up in the oilways. The oil galleries leading to the heads were virtually totally blocked. A mate saw this and then got a 4 gallon drum and a gas ring and poured a heap of OMO into the tine, half filled with water. Boiled it for about an hour or so and the aluminium was sparkling clean. We had to turn the head over because it was longer than the drum, and when finished, we couldn't pick where the overlap of cleaning had been. Come the appropriate time, I will do the same procedure for my inlet manifold on my NW if necessary. I have had the EGR mod virtually since new, so I hope that there will be very little gunk inside.
                  Great that you are happy to do that, but I do wonder why people dont just take their manifold to their local Sand Blast Cleaner mob and get an easy clean.

                  Otherwise I wonder if Oven cleaner would do a good job

                  David

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Quietguy View Post
                    My NW has done nearly 80,000km and I have just fitted a plug-in EGR mod after reading about them on this forum

                    But am concerned that the exhaust manifold may already be clogged up, and so would like to use a chemical clean if theat is possible rather than removal and sandblast as I presume others have done

                    Any ideas, comments etc?

                    David
                    HI David
                    At 95k or so I fitted EGR mod and oil catch can. My plan is to leave inlet manifold clean to 150k when tappets will be checked. Tappet adjustment and inlet manifold clean are common labour items. I'm working on 60k tappet adjustment intervals. If fuel economy decreases I will clean IM earlier. My reasoning for fitting oil catch can was to reduce the level of carbon build up. If inlet manifold had been cleaned at 90k when I last had the tappets adjusted I would not have bothered with oil catch can as I reasoned carbon build up with EGR block would be minimal.

                    Hill
                    200 Series
                    AOR Quantum 4

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Quietguy View Post
                      Great that you are happy to do that, but I do wonder why people dont just take their manifold to their local Sand Blast Cleaner mob and get an easy clean.

                      Otherwise I wonder if Oven cleaner would do a good job

                      David

                      No way would I use a sand blast on the inlet manifold. OK for the gunked up surface, but what about the flange faces? I don't want them stuffed up. I think chemical cleaning eg Oven Cleaner or OMO is the better way to go.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi guys,


                        I did an in-depth test of this product, followed by a full strip-down. I'll also be doing a 5000km follow-up video showing how it works as a maintenance product.


                        If you're interested, check out https://youtu.be/gcP5Z2Kc7X0


                        Cheers,
                        Greg
                        NW Platinum 4M41

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          In the next few weeks, I intend to have the tappets done on my NW (117000 km, EGR resistor mod fitted since almost new). Nearly all of my running has been at highway speeds, so I expect it to be relatively clean. I will post some photos (if I can) as t how the manifold looks when I get it off.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by erad View Post
                            In the next few weeks, I intend to have the tappets done on my NW (117000 km, EGR resistor mod fitted since almost new). Nearly all of my running has been at highway speeds, so I expect it to be relatively clean. I will post some photos (if I can) as t how the manifold looks when I get it off.

                            Will be interesting to hear what you find. We have done 100% highway driving (towing) since I shot the video and I've just shot the 5000km follow-up video. It was surprising to see the result let me say that! If you want to see you'll just have to subscribe so you get notified when it's released!


                            Cheers,
                            Greg
                            NW Platinum 4M41

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maybe a shop that specializes in acid stripping has a good solution.

                              Comment

                              Matched content

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X