2020 NX Pajero brake disc fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 NX Pajero brake disc fault

The car was purchased with 3,000km on the clock in Jan this year. It has just had its first service at 13,000Km and just ticked over 15,000Km. I had an concerns with the brakes (and other things) from new but in particular since its service. Just done a run from Canberra to Gold Coast and found what looks to be a crack in the discon the way up. The car is to be looked at by Mitsubishi at 0700 on Monday morning. From my 50 yrs driving experience in Military and civilian life I have never seen a disk thatlooks like this. I need help from the brians trust to identify what this is please. The rear brakes make an unpleasant noise when they are applied reversing.
    Attached Files

Is it a crack? Or is it just the mark from where the car war parked recently? This is quite a common occurance
    Silver 2020 MR Triton Sportsbar Towbar EDS

Master Tech at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

MMAL said today that its caused by the handbrake. Recorded as being lose and therefore pulled on hard. The mark is caused by the water gap in the brake pads. Given the shuddering and vibration I had through this car since new i am sceptical. Vibration is worse in 4WD H. Brake shudder through the wheel and the pedal when braking on steep grades.

Comment

Pajero handbrake is operated by shoes inside the rotor. So that sounds like BS coming from your dealer. That mark is probably caused by the pads, like i said in previous post, it is visible on a lot of cars. But if you have shudder through wheels and pedal, then that needs addressing. Try another dealer
        Silver 2020 MR Triton Sportsbar Towbar EDS

Master Tech at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

Originally posted by Fossilbones View Post
          MMAL said today that its caused by the handbrake. Recorded as being lose and therefore pulled on hard. The mark is caused by the water gap in the brake pads. Given the shuddering and vibration I had through this car since new i am sceptical. Vibration is worse in 4WD H. Brake shudder through the wheel and the pedal when braking on steep grades.
          That to me is almost comical comment, even if it was a disc handbrake which it isn't.

So the suggestion is if you require to pull the handbrake lever more as it's not in full adjustment to apply pressure to the disc, more clicks required to have park brake engaged, you've somehow applied more pressure or got a run up or something when you've pulled the lever which in turn applied more pressure or uneven pressure & broke the disc

I wouldn't be able to help myself but to ask for a physical examination with explanation on that one, in this instance as i would love to see the story grow

I know it's not funny, but the ending would be comical to say the least, in this instance.

That's a classic, top shelf that one
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Hi Fossilbones,

That is corrosion on the disc face from moisture gathering around the brake pad against the rotor. I'd suggest the vehicle may have been at the port or in storage for a while before delivery if it hasn't scrubbed out from your drive.

If the corrosion doesn't scrub out from driving (which happens pretty much every time you drive after it rains when your car is parked) the rotors should be machined. A small amount of run-out, which can be caused by corrosion like that, can sometimes result in pretty significant brake shudder and noise at times.

Also lol to the handbrake thing but, that being said, Pajero handbrakes are rarely set correctly from the factory - cable too tight and shoes too loose.

Comment

Thankyou all for your replies. I have a diagram of how the handbrake works so one very embarressed service manager. He is not a mechanic, nor are his reception staff. Mechanic wrote disc, staff added the word handbrake when they wrote it up. An invoice I shall keep.

Comment

Were these phots taken before you drove the car on at this particular time or after you drove it? If they were taken AFTER, that is a crack for sure, otherwise if it was a wax, corrosion or whatever, it would be wiped off at the first brake application.

Comment

Originally posted by Fossilbones View Post
                  Thankyou all for your replies. I have a diagram of how the handbrake works so one very embarressed service manager. He is not a mechanic, nor are his reception staff. Mechanic wrote disc, staff added the word handbrake when they wrote it up. An invoice I shall keep.
                  So how much an hour for the experts service is it again, to give you expert advice?

The advice you were given was?
                  How much was you charged for this "expert advice"

Glad you were in the hands of the experts that worked as hard as they could to make sure your problems were fixed & not just a profit centre run by a bean counter .
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

So how much an hour for the experts service is it again, to give you expert advice?
                    The experts here have never charged me for advice, and theirs is the best

2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

Mate I see a crack there, needs to be replaced under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by DINKY View Post
                        Mate I see a crack there, needs to be replaced under warranty.
                        The only way to know if the disc is cracked or not is too do a non-destructive inspection like a Dye Check or MPI.
                        Looking at the OP's photo it could be just a build of pad friction material on the disc face.
                        However disc are relative cheap and by the time you done a NDT the cost may not be worth it.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Considering it had just freshly diven 1,100 kilometres.
                          Something fishy with the vertical mark on that disc, shame it cannot talk . It's against the grain, across the wear etc

Comment

It looks very odd to me - I certainly wouldn't be fobbed off by such an incompetent dealer. Ask to have the MMAL Regional Service Manager inspect it.

Failing that, get an independent brake mechanic to inspect it. In SA, the RAA will inspect & advise on these type of issues - if you are a member of the NRMA, etc., ask them.

Stand your ground & persist - it is a new car & that does not appear to be acceptable & may be a safety risk if it is a defective disc.
                            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

That sure looks like a crack to me. If it was a wax mark from the pads, the line would be straight, but looking at the line it is not straight. Get it sorted ASAP, because the crack can continue running into the middle of the disc. The disc surface already had some grooves in it, which for this age should not happen. Something is wrong...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X